The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1970 Ranchero Brake Lines - will Torino kit fit?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1970 Ranchero Brake Lines - will Torino kit fit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970Ranchero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 Ranchero Brake Lines - will Torino kit fit?
    Posted: 14-September-2020 at 1:04PM
Hi All,

Will 1970 Torino brake lines fit a 1970 Ranchero?

I will be replacing the factory lines in my 1970 Ranchero and can only find complete Aftermarket sets for a 1970 Torino and not a Ranchero. 

Seems there's no one out there that makes complete kits for Rancheros. Thanks in advance for the help.

Best,
Jack

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2020 at 3:04PM
The front lines will match your Ranchero properly. The one rear main line will be a few inches short. It's not hard to make one line if it's the only choice.

Look into Nicopp brake line if you have to do that, it's the easiest aftermarket line to work with. It's very malleable/bendable, and it's legal to use. Making flared ends is difficult, but manageable with a very good flaring tool. The tool is critically important to doing flare fittings.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2020 at 3:25PM
don's right, i'd think the long rear line maybe 3 or 4" shorter??? is there a good local shop near you that can do a proper double flare? if so you can buy a double flare coupler from a parts store and a short 12" line then have the shop cut and flare the one end to fit and add to the prefabbed lineWink
 i have the awesome tool to do it but i'm a bit away from youCry but if you had the extra straight line and knew the exact lenght i suppose you could ship it to me and i could flare it and sent it backWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2020 at 3:25PM
On the 1968-71 Rancheros the wheelbase is actually shorter than the 2-door and 4-doors, so that main line will be a bit too long, not too short.  So you can probably make a kit work with some minor mods.

I agree with Don, Nicopp is great to work with if you do make your own lines.  With some practice, and a decent flaring tool, it's not too hard to get a good double flare.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2020 at 3:32PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

On the 1968-71 Rancheros the wheelbase is actually shorter than the 2-door and 4-doors, so that main line will be a bit too long, not too short.  So you can probably make a kit work with some minor mods.

I agree with Don, Nicopp is great to work with if you do make your own lines.  With some practice, and a decent flaring tool, it's not too hard to get a good double flare.

Excellent, I wondered if the older Torino might be longer, those Ranchero's always looked short to me.

If the line is just a little long, you can run it up and down along the frame slightly to use up that extra length.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
1970Ranchero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970Ranchero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2020 at 12:54PM
Wow, thanks everyone for the help! Super helpful!

Did some research and came up with the following parts list. Does this combination of kits seem like it will work for a complete brake line replacement?
  1. Front Half of Car - Inline Tube 6pc Kit (front)
  2. Front to Rear line - Right Stuff 1971 Ranchero Front to Rear Line
  3. Rear End lines - Inline Tube 1970 Ranchero 9 in. Rear Kit (mine's an 8 in. but I figure I could modify to fit?)
Another thing - if the original lines are solid (inspected and found no noticeable corrosion), is it safe to re-use the original lines? From a cursory glance, they look solid.

Thanks in advance everyone. I really appreciate the help.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2020 at 4:50PM
the front half ones state for disc brakes... is your car front discs? there could be a difference for the hose mounting??? IDK
 8" vs 9" probably won't be much difference?
 you'll want to replace the 3 hoses too! they may be bad long before the steel lines ever will...
if your hard steel lines are clean and no pits or wear marks they could be ok? i'd check every square inch along them for rust, pits, or rub marksWink especially behind any mounting clips
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1970Ranchero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970Ranchero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2020 at 8:02AM
Thanks, CaliforniaJohnny. The car's a disc brake car so the kit should fit.

And good point on the OG brake lines. I will check out the mounting clips!
 Post Reply Post Reply