The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1972 - 1979 Body Insulator Bushings UPDATE..UPDATE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 - 1979 Body Insulator Bushings UPDATE..UPDATE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 6:02AM
Yup...I used thread locker also....forgot to mention that.   I used the blue thread locker.
-John
1973 GTS
abrewsterarchitect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abrewsterarchitect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2017 at 3:58AM
Just a quick pointer if anyone is interested, i bought the crown vic bushings, and replaced as instructed by the very helpful posts in this thread. However while tightening the bolts ive discovered that they are actually a little thinner and i ended up replacing every single one with my old bolts....
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 45 minutes ago at 3:38AM
I am awaiting the arrival of my body mount bushings and just have a couple of questions.  The sleeves have to be cut to 1 1/4", is that the sleeve height or total height of the piece?  Also I would like to replace all of the bolts, what size has been used.  I also noticed in the Ford service manual the torque spec on the bolts is 20-30 ft/lbs, will that be enough to draw the bushing down to the proper height?  I was thinking to start there, let the body settle and if need be torque more.  And one last thing, my body is currently at the painters and the frame will not be ready before he is done, has anyone built a body trolley for storage purposes?  I am going to be building one but if someone else has already I would appreciate any suggestions on designs.   thanks  -  dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 10 minutes ago at 7:13AM
i would check the length of the sleeves on each body maount as you remove them, they may be / i think there are different lengths for different locations

the factory manual may have the info in print

Edited by Rockatansky - 7 hours 10 minutes ago at 7:13AM
72 GT Ute

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 37 minutes ago at 7:46AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

i would check the length of the sleeves on each body maount as you remove them, they may be / i think there are different lengths for different locations

the factory manual may have the info in print

They are all the same length except for the core support.
Jim

73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 27 minutes ago at 7:56AM
Originally posted by 1973gts 1973gts wrote:

The sleeves have to be cut to 1 1/4", is that the sleeve height or total height of the piece?  Also I would like to replace all of the bolts, what size has been used.  I also noticed in the Ford service manual the torque spec on the bolts is 20-30 ft/lbs, will that be enough to draw the bushing down   thanks  -  dave

If you measure your original bushing sleeve you'll see its 1-1/4. You want the new sleeve to match the old. If you can reuse your old bolts do that. If you need longer just get the same size as original just a little longer. As far as torque, you are only "smashing" a rubber bushing. I'm sure it would take less than 30 lbs even though 30 lbs isn't much, but in any case you can use locktite and just tighten up until they are tight. They will only tighten so far.
Jim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic