Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 Front Clip Disassembly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 Front Clip Disassembly
    Posted: 26-March-2018 at 4:31AM
I am going to start the disassembly of my '72s front clip soon.  Can someone give me some idea what the best order of disassembly is?  I know the '72s are much more complex than the '73 and newer cars.

Any tips, order of disassembly would be a appreciated.  I know there are lots of people who have done it here before, and I am not body many by any stretch.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2018 at 2:16AM
I found a thread about clip reassembly.  It says the order is:

1. Core support
2. Fender wells
3. Put on the fenders
4. Headlight assembly
5. Grill
6. Header panel
7 hood
8 valance
9 bumper

So if I reverse it I guess I should be okay:

1. Bumper
2. Valance
3. Hood (already removed)
4. header panel
5. Grille
6. Headlight assembly
7. Fenders
8. Fenderwells
9. Core support

According to these instruction, the outer fenders and inner are removed separately?  Is this the best method?

My plan is to remove all the sheetmetal on the front end, and have the fenderwells, the cores support, batter tray, other braces, etc, all blasted and powder coated.  I will also strip all the undercoat off my frame and repaint it, while I want to repaint my firewall.  I figure with the engine and trans out, now is the time to detail the engine compartment.

If anyone can offer any advice on this job please chime in. I am hoping I can get it all back together and aligned decently when it comes time.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2018 at 4:47AM
Not exactly the same, but when taking my '79 Tbird apart, that was the approximate order.  The fenders and inner fenders would be the same.  It would be easier to take the fenders off to get to the inner fenders, although I don't think it's impossible to remove the inner fenders without removing the fenders, from what I've heard.

Hood
Bumper / Grille
Head panel / Headlights
Fenders

How it looks now.

Edited by n2fordwagons - 28-March-2018 at 4:52AM
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2018 at 1:49PM
Thanks Jeff, this is helpful.  So you removed the outer fenders and left the inner's in place?   I wasn't sure if it was better to remove both the inner and outer as one piece or do it separately? 
From doing some searches here, it seems some say the best way is to remove the lower valance, then the front bumper and brackets as one unit.  I found the diagrams for the '72 front end and MAN are there a lot of parts. 

Vince

GTS.org Admin
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2018 at 8:38PM
I thought I'd be smart and pull up the shop manual from Ford. Not a big help.
Then I thought about the Jim Osborn assembly manuals, but it looks like he doesn't do any for the Torino/Ranchero.

So if anyone has a detailed order of disassembly it would be appreciated. Or is there an assembly manual out there for these cars somewhere?

Thanks,
Russ
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2018 at 12:27AM
Found this on the ol' interweb..Big smile;

https://www.themotorbookstore.com/1972-ford-cars-factory-shop-manual.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=1972-ford-cars-factory-shop-manual&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjoP78rWR2gIV1LfACh3MTQCAEAQYASABEgJHFfD_BwE
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2018 at 12:22PM
Russ, I do have some detailed parts catalog diagrams that show how all the parts go together.  It's on a locked PDF so I can't screen shot it to post here.  When I have a chance to print it off and scan it I will add it to this thread.

John, thanks for the info.  I already have the service manuals, unfortunately it doesn't really get into disassembly detail.  I just know people in the past here have gone on about how complicated the '72 front end is, so I just want to be prepared and do it right.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 29-March-2018 at 12:22PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2018 at 9:23PM
Thanks.
I have the factory service manuals also, and while they are ok for taking off one thing, they aren't great for taking the whole front sheet metal off.
Russ
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2018 at 8:06AM

I got around to scanning the front end diagrams.  As you can see, it's not a simple front end.  I am hoping to have to have some time to tinker with it this long weekend. 

Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2018 at 11:54AM
Thanks!
That will be a big help.
Hopefully my brain will be able to sort out what the correct order is.
Russ
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2018 at 8:22AM
So I have had sometime to work on the car this weekend.  It wasn't as bad as I though it'd be. My order of disassembly is as follows:

1. Jack up the front end of the car nice and high
  2. Remove valance from below.
  3. Remove front bumper, you can easily access the frame to bumper bracket bolt from below.  I also removed the hood latch and hood latch support at this time.  You will also need to disconnect the parking lights to feet the wiring out of the brackets.  There are connectors near the battery (left) and the horns (right). Of note, you do not need to remove the "boomerang" shaped bumper brace when you remove the bumper with the brackets.
  4. Remove the grille.
  5. Remove the grill surround and reveal molding
  6. Remove the header panel and fender extensions.  The fender extensions aren't too bad to get at if you access them from below.  There is a way more room once the bumper is off.
  7. Remove the headlight buckets.
This will completely remove all the front end sheetmetal.  It looks like now I only have to remove the outer fenders, the inner fender and then the rad support (which I will do once I find some space to store that stuff).

Vince

GTS.org Admin
T-Bird_79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bird_79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2018 at 4:51AM
Good, that it turned out so well!!!
I am too planning to start disassembly of the front clip on my car. Goals are the same as Yours-replace the engine, check/repair the transmission, paint front part of the frame, repair and paint inner fenders and core support, the only thing, that's different is the condition of Your car.Thumbs Up
Will follow the progress with Your car!
Andris
1979 Ford Thunderbird
1977 Opel Commodore Coupe Euro personal luxury car
1969 Vauxhall Viva small American
1989 Opel Kadett GSi 16V known as Pontiac LeMans
1978 Moskvitch 412 Soviet rally
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2018 at 2:31PM
Thanks John.  When I get a chance, I will post some pics in my project thread.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72torino... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72torino... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2020 at 11:38AM
Vince,

Sorry to dig up an old thread. But those assembly diagrams you posted. Is there a book for sale somewhere that has that information for the complete car?

Thanks,

Adam 
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2020 at 12:20PM
The diagrams are from the Ford Master Parts Catalog. You can buy digital versions for a reasonable price at many vendors.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply