The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 Gran Torino Big Block Four Speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 Gran Torino Big Block Four Speed
    Posted: 20-November-2010 at 2:02PM
The car is a 72 Gran Torino that started life as a 351C/Auto car. It was converted to a 351 CJ at some point in its life and it was done fairly tastefully. I bought the car in 2008 and drove it for about a year before laying it up for some of my racing projects. Now that the off season is here I plan to get to work on the car and get it back out for Spring 2011.

Here are some pictures of the car and where it is with respect for disassembly. I've already sold the 351CJ engine to a friend and since built a stroker BB with Kasse ally CJ heads and had the Top Loader rebuilt with a close ratio gear set. The BB was built with good components and our max RPM is going to be around 7400 RPM, although we think it is good for a bit more.

We plan to spend a lot of time on the suspension and getting that right so the car can autocross and attend the odd road course track day (VIR, CMP, Road Atlanta). First things first though and althought I got the car two years ago a weekend in the garage resulted in the body being pulled off the frame. I hope to make good progress over the next few months.

Edited by Ron Earp - 26-January-2013 at 11:51PM
04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2010 at 2:18PM
dang, you're running some 999/50 in the front LOL
seriously, are these some 295/50 ?
the car looks gorgeous 
mule323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mule323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2010 at 4:00PM
That's going to be a neat ride when you finish it up. Heck, it looked pretty good before! I was going to build a 72 to run at souhthern national a couple of years ago but they ended up closing the track. Can't wait to see some more pics.
             (Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2010 at 12:20AM
Those are 275-60-15s all around. I prefer the 15" wheel look and when it comes time to AutoX or "track day" the car, which I plan to do, Hoosier R6s DOT race tires are available in that size.  In fact I use 275s as rears on my Ford T70.

Plan now is to roll the frame out and blast the daylights out of it with the blaster. Then take it back in and disassemble each corner and blast those parts, paint them all up with some POR or chassis paint, and put it back together. I cobbled together a rear disc brake package using modern Explorer parts so I need to gets those on the rear end, and, I need to check the rear end out as well. And, I want to built a Watts or Panhard rod (probably Panhard) for the rear axle and put spherical bearings in all the suspension ends, as well as drop the motor and tranny in the frame.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking of building or borrowing a dolly to take the body off to the paint shop. Those guys can be working on that part whilst I'm on the chassis/suspension.

I've not decided on a color yet but I'm highly gravitating toward a really dark metallic green like seen on this Mopar muscle.

http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/plymouth/plymouth-00026.html

I think I might loose my vinyl top though (is in great shape, hate to do it) and with my blacked out Aero wheels, blacked out trim, it might look good.  Or, it could look not so good due to lack of contrast. I wish I could photoshop it but I don't have the skills.

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2010 at 2:03AM
IF you go with that DARK green color... no need for the vinyl top.
It won't make that much of a difference to have the black on there, that green is WAY DARK!
IF you do it that color I would color match the rims.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2010 at 3:21AM
Andy posted a thread with your car and the Aero wheels.My 72 GTS is originally that baby blue,then someone painted it red but left jambs blue,after that it was all primed black including the bumpers.Don't blame you for wanting to change the color.I'm stripping mine to bare and when ready either paint it Midnight Blue metallic or Black metallic
GA Army Vet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA Army Vet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2010 at 6:34PM
Send me some pics and I can photoshop for you. lee_hope_lee@yahoo.com
1973 GTS-351c C6 28sp axle 2.73gears (looking to change)

2004 electric wheelchair super fast!

Disabled Iraq Vet, IED boke my back and severed my nerves into my legs I can walk but it hurts bad.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA Army Vet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2010 at 6:45AM
Would it be ok if I did it at my fosterdads (thanksgiving day), He is a big computer guy so his setup is 5tv screens and 3 computers hooked together. Its so easy to open all the windows needed in photoshop to edit it. Also when I do that metalic its not to good looking. I can take the shiny factor of your car and play off that, but the colors are flat. But I will color match the other car and do it like that one. Do me a favor and download "gimp" its a photoshop software thats free, photoshop is $1500+. Once you have it downloaded I can send you all the layers and you can edit it when I am done. You will be able to change the tint. color. size. and add stripes. Please go check out my other posts and see what it looks like.

Disabled Iraq Vet, IED boke my back and severed my nerves into my legs I can walk but it hurts bad.
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2010 at 7:14AM
Hey Lee,

That would be awesome.  No hurry at all. I'll have a look at the other posts too.  We have photoshop at work, it is just I'm hopeless at using it. I've tried, but that program isn't for the uninitiated.  But I will get GIMP so I can adjust on my own computer and not worry the guys in the marketing department.

Thanks,
Ron
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2010 at 7:20AM
I've made a little bit of progress since last weekend. I got some of the parts organized and continued with taking the chassis apart. Got the rear axle out from under it and all the lines off the frame.

My Concept One front dress and accessories showed up so I went ahead and installed them on the motor. Wow, those guys make a nice setup.  It is expensive, but it is light, has great components, and everything is nice and new. I probably shouldn't have bought one, but I got tired of messing around with my local yards trying to source up brackets, accessories,and so forth for the motor. Plus, I'd end up spending a goodly amount for AC, alternator, and PS pump anyhow.

I have the day off tomorrow so I'm hoping to get the frame bare and blasted, along with all the other frame components. Then I'll put in the new bushings etc. and reassemble.

04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
orlnslloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2010 at 8:04AM
Glad to see the young one working with ya! The experience of building a car is at least 100 times greater when kids are involved. 
'72, GTSFB, 460, C6, 3.70

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA Army Vet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2010 at 12:44PM
Just look at it and tell me what you want me to edit more, its a fast edit because my aid needs to get back to the house for sleep, but let me know and I will work more at my house from gimp
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k599/cptchuck/3-1.jpg

Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2010 at 2:25AM
Thanks for doing that colorizing for me. I think green could work.

Got more done over the last couple of days. The frame is completely stripped of parts and ready for reconditioning. And the inside is 95% stripped as well. I'm probably going to leave the column and the pedals, as well as the wiring there. Nothing needs fixing in that area and it is a lot of work to get that out. Dash, HVAC, and all that stuff is out though.

04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2010 at 2:47AM
that's a sweet garage
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2010 at 2:59AM
KEEP ROCKIN!
I love seeing progress!

I just ordered a garage heater so I can stay "HOT" on my project!
Gotta get motivated to go out and put in a long hard day of work on it today.
BUT, it is currently 23degrees!!!
Supposed to be 55 later, I have to strip the yellow 72.

Lovin the look of your ride and the direction your going!
LOOKING GREAT!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2010 at 3:37AM
Someone motivated, good and keep on the hard work, it will be soon on the road. Green is a good choice, it does reaally well on the 72-73

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA Army Vet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2010 at 11:33AM
Well looking at the webpage you posted I just color matched that car. I can do other colors alot better, you just dont get the shine effect. What colors do you like most, I love that blue. I had to do a quick outline on photoshop B/c its faster that way, gimp is harder to outline details but color change is just as easy. So I did a fast out line, color match to that other car and posted it. Now that I am home and I have the layer outlined I can detail it alot more. I will be working on it the next few hours if you have any ideas let me know. I love the mopar colors on the torinos!

Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 1:31AM
Well, things have been progressing although it might not look like it. I'm just finishing up a dolly for the body that the car will sit on for transport to the bodyman and painters. That happens tomorrow, so, more work to do tonight!

Once the car is out of the shop then the frame can move over on the lift and we'll get after it and clean it bare. Then prime and paint it. Meanwhile, we'll be putting all new bushings in the suspension. Mostly Polygraphite, but in a few places we'll be putting spherical bearings to make sure the suspension doesn't bind at all. Also, we're fabricating a Panhard rod for lateral axle location as a first measure.  I don't think it is as good as a Watts but it is also a whole lot less fabrication for a body on frame design car.

Looking forward to the next couple of weeks.

The paint color I choose was 2011 Mustang Grabber blue.  It is quite a bit darker than the blue on the car now. I went shopping for car colors and I really liked the way that color looked with black wheels and trim, which this Torino will also have. I kept shopping the dark metallic green around but it didn't have the pop I wanted for the car. Anyhow, I think it'll look pretty decent and at the least will look mediocre, but never "bad".

04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA Army Vet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 4:54AM
Yea I am painting mine that same blue

Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 11:34AM
Car went off to the painters today. Frame on the lift and I got about 1/4 of it stripped, primed, and painted. Man, these 70s welders, well, there is some splatter and so on. I left it.
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic