The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 Gran Torino Big Block Four Speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 3:18PM
Yeah, you can go overboard on frames, cleaning and grinding old welds, smoothing out and puttying gouges, etc. Then you put the body back on, and you never see most of it again. As long as it's primed and painted, it's 100% better than it came from the factory. Looks good!!
  Did you take a pic of your body dolly? I'm thinking of doing the same thing eventually but don't have a good idea of what to build.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 3:32PM
What are you using to clean the frame?

What are you using to get inside the frame?
And then paint inside the frame?

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2010 at 11:31PM
Luckily, this frame is in pretty good shape with little rust.

I am stripping the frame of grease and dirt using brake cleaner, engine degreaser, and wire brush. Once dry I clean it with a 3M rotating stripper pad. Then with a wire wheel. After that I apply a paint prep product, prime it, and then paint it. That small rear section took about 3.5 hours, so I figure I'll have 8 to 12hr in the entire frame before being done.

The inside of the frame I do the best I can with some wire bottle brushes. Then blow out with compressed air and apply the Eastwood/Dupont rust converter through every hole and oriface I can locate. Not perfect, but this frame is in pretty good shape.
04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2010 at 3:53AM
nice progress,some day i'll be pulling the body off to do the frame and chassis components.Glad you went with Grabber blue for your color choice.I think it will look better blue with your vinyl top.is the bodyshop doing the bottom of the body?
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2010 at 2:04AM
The vinyl roof is hitting the road. Shame too, it was in great shape, but I don't like the look.

Here are a couple of body dolly pictures. The dolly started life as some sort of heavy duty wagon for farm/tractor use and came from Northern Tool.  It has moved a few cars over the years but this is by far the largest body. Worked fine. The car arrived at the painters on Sat AM, should have it back in 3-4 weeks.

04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2010 at 3:45AM
are you using a hydraulic clutch .
michigan
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2010 at 4:52AM
Planning to use a manual clutch.

A bit more progress. The frame is "done", that is it has been stripped where needed, primed all over, and has two coats of black paint on it. And, the body man has been doing work on the car and the floor pans are done, front and rear (forgot front photo), vinyl top is stripped off, and body repairs are being made to the car. One minor problem - they broke the front windshield getting it out of the car. Anyone know of a good source for a front windshield? Is 72-76 all the same?

04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2010 at 4:54AM
frame is looking really sweet, glad to see you move pretty quick
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2010 at 7:11AM
I hope to get the rear axle disassembled and blasted today. We shall see. Time to quit typing and start working!
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
mule323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mule323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2010 at 8:37AM
Ron, I actually got a new windshield from glassmasters in Raleigh earlier this year. Think it was a couple hundred and they came out to the house to install it.

2013 New Hope Church Rd
Raleigh, NC 27604
919-878-4000

(Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2010 at 7:51AM
I'll check the glass situation out, thanks!

Getting the upper ball joints off was a bitch. The bushings are turning out a bit better by using our old friend fire.

04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2010 at 1:14PM
Originally posted by Ron Earp Ron Earp wrote:

I'll check the glass situation out, thanks!

Getting the upper ball joints off was a bitch. The bushings are turning out a bit better by using our old friend fire.

LOOK... Bolt in Ball Joints!

Fire Fire Fire!!!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2010 at 3:58AM
Using the lift to pick the rear of the engine up so I can check bellhousing alignment with the crank. Thus far runout seems to be around 0.050" which is going to require the use of offset dowel pins to correct. Never seen one of these line up out of the box.

04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2010 at 5:16AM

Gotta run power to the gargae for my new heater so I can hot and working like you are!

Looking great!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 8:15AM
Blasting the Torino in preparation for bodywork and paint.

04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 8:30AM
it's gonna be a pita to clean up the sand after, except if you cover the ground
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 8:33AM
Not sure I follow you. It is being blasted in a derelict industrial lot where they blast a lot, so no clean up needed. Just roll out. 
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 9:44AM
my bad, i thought you were gonna blast it where you took the pic
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 10:25AM
We did. Sand hits the ground and pretty much stays where it falls. Swept it off the pavement into the grass / rocks though.
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2010 at 4:30PM
Your way definitely easier. I wound up having to enclose my car in the garage. Of coarse that lead to gutting the shop afterwards anyway.

Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
  Share Topic