The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 Gran Torino Big Block Four Speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2010 at 6:02AM
Very nice work there - is it all one color underneath?

Progress is being made. The body work will be done on Friday and hoping to paint on Saturday.

04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2010 at 10:43AM
Dear Ford, the next time you build a 1972 Gran Torino please remember to box the lower control arms, mkay? Two tons of fun can't be controlled with leftover spam and c-ration cans. Thank you.

And after finishing up the control arms I spent the rest of the morning bolting up the rear axle and checking out the suspension travel. A lot of four link suspensions will bind up with any sort of lowering of the car. This one doesn't as the pictures show - four link all the way up and all the way down. I then went on and installed the springs/shocks and started working on the front suspension.

The car is receiving all new Polygraphite bushings for the first iteration of the build. I want to see how those do before I consider spherical bearings in a few places. I thought for sure the rear would bind and I'd need sphericals right away back there but I'm happy to see it didn't.

The car was painted yesterday and I will go by in the morning to take a look. If I can get the chassis rolling again in the next couple of days I'll bring the body home and starting mounting it up.

Coming along. Nov 21st will mark the day we took it apart so I feel like we're doing well on timing. 30 mins here, 20 mins here, it all adds up.

04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2010 at 2:04AM
Well the car is now Grabber Blue! Still work to be done on the trim pieces, inner fenders, and so on but I anticipate bringing it home on Thursday of this week to sit back on the frame. The color is unique on a Torino but I think it will look good. I hope!

04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2010 at 2:35AM
YAHOO!!

BLUE ALL OVER!!!

Will look great!

Are you protective painting the underbody or leaving it blue?
OR did you protect/undercoat it before paint?
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2010 at 3:02AM
man, you're going fast, really, i thought i was fast, but you blew me off the line LOL
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2010 at 3:49AM
The car is body color all over - underneath, everywhere. I did not put undercoating on the bottom before it was painted and I doubt that I'll put undercoating on it now either. Here in NC the weather is mild and rust really isn't a concern. I don't plan to drive this car in inclement weather beyond getting stuck in a rain shower so I'll probably leave it as is. If I can keep the engine sealed up and free from oil leaks it'll probably look good for years to come.

I move along on projects. I've been racing for the last six years, heavily, and the race needs sort of get you in a mode where you can get a lot of work done quickly. To me this project is very leisurely and enjoyable because the car doesn't have to be on my trailer headed to the track in two weeks to perform 100% for the entire weekend. I work on it a little at a time.  Sometimes for as long as four hours at a time, others as short as 15 mins and just finish one little task.  But in the end all that time adds up and before you know it you're done!

To be fair planning was key. I bought this car two years ago and since then I've been in the background accumulating parts, building the engine, getting stuff lined up so that the take down and re-assembly would be rapid. I've still got some problems to solve, HVAC being one of the biggest, but I'll sort it out.

A lot more to go fellows but I'm getting there.

Edited by Ron Earp - 20-December-2010 at 3:51AM
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Skinnys Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinnys Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2010 at 4:11AM
Ron, all that work in one month is amazing! I've usually got 4 things going on at once, so I never see that kind of progress on a single project. I take more time changing my mind!Cool
Scott -'73 Gran Torino Brougham

Past Torino's -'73 Q-code GTS, '76 Original PS-122 S&H, '73 H-code GTS, '73 Ranchero
        '71 Cobra 351 Auto, '70 351C Brougham 2dr HT, '71 351C Ranchero
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2010 at 9:26AM
Tomorrow will be the one month mark. Maybe I can get a bit more done tonight and get the chassis completely rolling again.

Like anything, I think you get the best result by picking a direction and sticking with it. But the big thing is to do SOMETHING on your project every day, no matter how small.
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
mule323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mule323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2010 at 1:20PM
1 month! It took me 14 months to put the hood on after I painted my car! Admittedly, I could have moved much much quicker but there were month long periods I didn't even see the shop. (Mainly because I'm lazy and cold weather sucks!) Anyway...rock on Ron! Next time I'm up your way I'll have to swing by and check it out. Looking dang good!
             (Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2010 at 1:29PM
YUP! COLD WEATHER SUCKS!!!

And my garage is big enough for ONE project at a time.
Body hanging so I can get the Frame on the ground underneath it.

January I get to buy ALL the suspension and brake stuff to make a rolling chassis.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2010 at 3:06PM
A bit more progress over the last days.  The front suspension is all bolt together (mostly) with Polygraphite bushings. New brakes are in place using the larger Thunderbird rotors and caliper mount. Seems to mock up well. 
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2010 at 3:22PM
ouhou it's sweet, mine are rusty. I can't wait to see the car done. 
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2010 at 4:06PM
Yeah looking good Ron. That blue is beautiful.
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2010 at 10:22AM
More progress over the last few days. The quick ratio Saginaw pump is in, brake line are run, all the steering gear is on, rear is in place, bars, etc and the car is now a "roller chassis". Yay!

But, I need some 9" assistance. Jeff and I worked on the rear end for a bit but got stuck.

We took the axles out of the rear so that we could start bolting up some disc brakes. One thing that has to be done to finish this job is to remove the outer bearings, put a spacer on, then reinstall some new bearings.

The Ford manual says to use a cold chisel and smartly strike the bearing retainer a few times and then it'd come off.

1. Striking the bearing retainer had no effect on it coming off. However I did manage to score the retainer with the chisel a bunch of times and so it was was machined to fit into a recess it'll not seal well now.

2. When I called a parts house about a new bearing retainer they knew nothing about one and didn't show one in their diagrams.

3. The bearings retainers on my axles are of difference sizes left to right.

I'm going to take the axles to a friends' shop and have him press the whole mess on and off. But I'm not sure of a source for bearing retainers.

Any hints with the 9" here? Here is a picture of the axles and the different size bearing retainers.

04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2010 at 10:41AM

Ron that blue on your car looks great. I can't wait too see it at the show in person.

Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
Skinnys Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinnys Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2010 at 11:14AM

When I replaced the bearings on my Mark III axles to install '73 Torino retainer plates, they came with the retainer rings. I'm pretty sure all the sealed ball style axle bearings I've bought came with the new retainers. Your retainer ring size difference could be due to a replacement in the past. It looks like both sizes clear the sealing surface on the axle, so it shouldn't matter as long as they fit in the housing.

Edited by Skinnys Garage - 26-December-2010 at 3:44PM
Scott -'73 Gran Torino Brougham

Past Torino's -'73 Q-code GTS, '76 Original PS-122 S&H, '73 H-code GTS, '73 Ranchero
        '71 Cobra 351 Auto, '70 351C Brougham 2dr HT, '71 351C Ranchero
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2010 at 11:16AM
Doing some research it looks like one side has a truck retainer and the other has a standard retainer. The cutoff wheel took care of the retainer ring. Now I just need to find a parts store that lists the bearing and retainer ring. Advance Auto seems to be clueless, I'll try NAPA. 
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2010 at 12:17PM
The color is awesome.
Chuck
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2010 at 2:17PM
Alright, a bit more progress. Put on new axle bearings and retainers and then fitted the disc brakes. The disc brakes come courtesy of a 1998 Explorer and bolt right up with no problems. The only thing you have to make, and put on the axle in between the bearing and the backing plate, is a spacer. You can figure the spacer out when you have all the parts in front of you. It'll take up the space between the outside bearing surface and the backing plate.

To pull off a swap like this you'll need:

*L/R Exploder backing plates with integrated parking brake
*L/R Exploder discs
*L/R Exploder calipers and pads
*Two left side Exploder rear lines. The right side has a tee in it and you don't want that. You want two lefts since the lefts are just straight hoses from the caliper to a female std brake fitting

This stuff is cheap. All new the pads are $22 for both side, calipers are $40 each, discs are cheap, can't remember but like $25 each. The backing plates you'll have to get from a yard but should be cheap.  For well under $250 you should be able to put disc brakes on your Torino.

Calipers are smallish but will do the job. Parking brake is integrated with brake shoes on the inside of the rotor. Easily connected to the stock Torino system.

Edited by Ron Earp - 27-December-2010 at 2:21PM
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2010 at 2:41PM
Nice work Ron that is awesome!!!
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
  Share Topic