The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 GTS - Barn Find

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 GTS - Barn Find
    Posted: 10-December-2010 at 6:01AM
I figure as I am a resident here, I might as well set up a thread here, even though a majority of my car is done.
Well, projects like this one are never done...
Going to start off with an old video, and work from there up.
Starting in the Beginning. June, 2001.

{click to play} 

I'll update this as needed.
Food for thought. I don't get it, but last time I checked, my home "blog" on Ford Muscle had 21,450 hits thus far.
Anyways...welcome to the insanity.
Editing from the beginning:

I have been posting my progress on one or two other sites dedicated to Torinos, but here is the beginning of the progress, where this mess started from, and incase you wonder where my handle came from.

Progress shots of my 1972 Gran Torino Sport. Should be in order, more or less. I suffer CRS so at times, things get forgotten.
Background for those who don't know me much;
I found my Torino, an original Q code 4 speed 351c CJ setup, HD suspension, sitting in a small barn. Paid $600. Tore it apart, and decided to drive 3,200 miles to get another "puzzle car" shell, from a guy I got to know and become friends with over the last decade.
What's I've done:
Redid original 4 speed car frame front to back, boxed the lower front and rear control arms, all suspension parts new, upgraded my front brakes with the adaption of 12.5" rotors and dual piston calipers off a 1999 CVPI, upgraded to a lincoln dual diaphram booster with larger master cylinder.

**I am still due to get 1976 police drums out back. 
Replaced/battled with passenger wheelhouse and quarter panel. 
Drove from Nebraska to Niagara Falls Canada and back for NOS fenders. Yes, I am nuts. 
I worked the 1/4's, as I was trying to meet a self-imposed deadline for the 2008 powertour after having my Torino apart for 6+ years, and just getting it street legal June 2007. Didn't get to go on PT2008, but I did make the event.

Here are some pics, and a few vid clips.
Hope you get a kick. 

{Note-due to problems with Photobucket and having to rebuild my albums from scratch, I have to go through image by image. I am adding details and pictures early on, from stuff I either did not have added at some point, or felt like it would be worth while additions for others restoring their Torinos.

If anyone has questions, ask me. I've probably had to fix it. Weld it. Or take a BFH to it.

Starting off: My GTS was a true barn find. Not something I pulled from a garage. This 1972 Sport had a stay for 17 years, in a barn, in the middle of Iowa.

When I saw the ad on the old Yahoo Torino forum, I went to look this car over that said "Gran Torino Sport, $600".
Opening the doors, I was greeted to this:

My first reasoning was, to be honest, was I was going to take the toploader and comp suspension and stick it under the Elite. Hence, my handle, "Eliteman76".

After talking to the guy, and giving him a deposit, I left, and came back 2 weeks later, right around the beginning of June, 2001. I elected to stick it out with the GTS. No regrets, although Elites are and always will be a favorite of mine.

I got a late start on a hot Friday evening, dragging this car out of the barn.
By the time I was in the above picture, I had drug the car out of the barn using my F150, though a pair of gate posts about 6 inches total wider than the GTS.
In the process of backing the trailer up and winching the GTS onto the trialer, I managed to rip the trailer's jack off the front, hit something buried in the grass where we were and shred a trailer tire.
Drove 28 miles, at around midnight, and found a motel and crashed until Saturday Morning.
I awoke to this:

After getting back to Omaha, dropping my soon-to-be wife off at our place, I decided to make a wash run. $10 worth of quarters, cleaned out alot of the mess.

I stuck the car into the garage at my apartment, and proceeded to start the clean up. Not fun. 

Around 2 months later, I met a good guy, friends with Jon {FordMuscle ownership} and Drove to California for a parts car to get good sheet metal.
This shell was the one that took a 5 day trip to go get. All for some good sheet metal to work with...now I think about it, piling into my old F150, hooking up a trailer and driving cross the country to get it...it was a pretty interesting trip.

Shot of the teardown out at my dad's place.
In case you are wondering, 4x4's on top of a stack of 2x4's nailed together is not the most stable setup. Picked the car up on each end using a heavy duty engine hoist. I don't recommend ANYONE do it this way, as I recall nearly killing myself at least once.
Ah, 23-24 years old and completely lacking a concept of "That might not be safe".:o
Shot from my old job, where I had use of the warehouse on evenings and weekends, for around 8 years. Handy place to have.

During the clean up tear down on the GTS in late 2001, I removed the 351c CJ from the GTS, and proptly tore the engine apart. The block and internals were all solid, with some wear. Planning on doing a build eventually, but for now, it's sitting safe. Hindsight, I should have left it assembled!

Now, during the teardown process, I elected to start with the frame rebuild first.

I took the body off the frame, and proceeded to tear apart. Of note, interesting finds on cars like this. Because it's a Compation Suspension car {refered to as "Maximum Handling" in literature by Ford}, it has the same upper rear arms as the Police package. Also has front and rear sway bars, different setting on the lower control arm bushings with the ecentrics adjusted different.

Here is the stripped frame before blasting:

Frame loaded up, and headed to a shop, where I used to sell material to years back. Buddy there, hardcore guy who lived a hard life, passed away a few years back, never got to see the GTS done.:(
{This is the same dude, while on oxygen, smoked Marboros...:D RIP Rich, you crazy Motha!

Edited by Eliteman76 - 10-January-2017 at 2:43AM
Andrew
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2011 at 7:03PM
As I said, in no particular order, but here is something I managed to get around to finally posting:
OK, grabbed the camera, and took some shots of the finished seat set:

Bottom cushion, with the bottom/side panels from the crown vic seat cover:

And, the seat upper:

The deeper side panel from the crown vic seat cover:

Back view, with the original Torino frame, and the Tbird seat foam:

Shot of how I reused the lower material of the crown vic seat cover {lighter gray color, where the hog rings clamp on to the material}

One area the cover did not have enough material, was the very lower corners of the original Torino frame. I took some of the gray material off the unused Tbird covers, wrapped them and hog ringed them on.
This is hidden when installed, but I want it covered anyways.

End result:

Edited by Eliteman76 - 10-January-2017 at 2:58PM
Andrew
72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2011 at 3:37AM
Nice job!!Thumbs Up Are you going to match the material from the back and use the covers on the fronts?

I used the hog rings for the first time this summer replacing a factory seat cover on the wrecker. I was so surprised how well they worked and how easy it was to swap out the covers. I used some tips from different sources and it worked out great. I'll do ,my own seat covers now.
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
2003 HD Road King Classic 100th Anniversary
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2011 at 5:52AM

Ron-

Front seats are from the same Tbird.

Here is the link to my process thread I have on Ford Muscle.

*Edit-
Fixed broken photobucket link.

*Note-
After taking the Torino for another drive, these seats are coming back out. Short drive, they are marginally OK but are in no way as good as the XR7/fox body buckets.
More to follow.

Edited by Eliteman76 - 25-February-2011 at 8:16PM
Andrew
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2011 at 6:14AM
This project thread is lacking. Thumbs Down
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2011 at 6:42AM
i'm sending you some of my motivation Big smile
shanefolsom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanefolsom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2011 at 7:16AM
that is a great thread...lots of time involved in the build I am sure!
1974 Gran Torino (sold)

1973 Gran Torino Sport

1969 Roadrunner
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2011 at 6:44AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

This project thread is lacking. Thumbs Down

Jackass. LOL

I know. I will be updating this thread at some point.

What's funning, looking at my thread count I was like WTF?!! now at 23,210 hits. Still don't get it. Just a Torino. Wink

Andrew
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2011 at 6:47AM
Just copy over the FordMuscle build thread and paste it here.. I took my Cougar thread from the local forum I mod on and used those posts. 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2011 at 3:27PM
getting there, getting there oh wise learn-ed moderator.

Andrew
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2011 at 8:19PM
{Old post from my Fordmuscle thread - as pointed out, Ebay seller is no longer active.}
Concerning the Blue LEDs:
I used a guy on ebay, after hearing about him with a buddy with a 78 cougar-I removed my cluster's blue-green plastic light defuser caps, and swapped in the LEDs, direct replacement of the 194 style bulbs. I spent maybe $30 for a couple differnet types, I got like 20-30 lights for my Torino and my f150, pretty easy swap. Guy was pretty fast, happy with the service. Main thing was cleaning the contacts in the cluster and she was good to go. plus the LEDs come in mini-clusters, which boost light output without worry of overloading the lighting circut because of the next to nothing amp draw.
Also, a heck of a lot better at dusk and at night BIG improvement in looks...plus, if you are broke, cheap way to spruce up your dash with new looking guages!
{one note I forgot to add-alot of the LEDs I used are in 6 or 7 cluters on a single 194 bulb base. I used a couple single large LED bulbs. All in a blue color.

Item number: 270208207312
Meet the sellerSeller: itechleds 2287 Feedback:99.1% PositiveMember:since Apr-17-06 in United States
  See detailed feedback  Ask seller a question  Add to Favorite Sellers View seller's other items:  Store |  ListVisit seller's Store:
iTech LEDs

Edited by Eliteman76 - 27-February-2011 at 12:37PM
Andrew
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2011 at 4:31AM
itechleds is no longer a valid store...

seller has nothing for sale and nothing recent, either...

last feedback as a seller received 11/11/08 and at least 3 negs in that final month...

not saying he can't hook you up but saying he's given up on the eBay model...

here's a search link for US sellers, Top Rated, for "194 blue led" bulbs

Edited by occupant - 26-February-2011 at 4:38AM
Classicfitness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Classicfitness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2011 at 6:47AM
I love your barn find story.  These are the best Thumbs Up
'72 GTS 351-4b Gold Glow

'75 Elite 400 Polar White

My car blog: www.fordtorino72.blogspot.com

Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2011 at 12:40PM
That is crazy I have been following your car for almost 10yrs!! I remember all those old pictures when you first started. Wasn't that on the old Yahoo site? 
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,SVT LIGHTNING,07 CHARGER R/T HEMI,97 Mustang GT Vert

"Never complain Never explain"
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2011 at 1:04PM
Occupant, I used this guy for my Cougar... 

He has a kit (not listed) for the 72-76 and 77-79 cars. I highly recommend it. 
Paul
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2011 at 12:43PM
Yeah Gary, it was.
Because I stopped going on the Yahoo forum pretty much anymore, and moved to the MSN thread.
The MSN thread had a pretty good following but after MSN killed off everything, I got lucky and discovered the GTS.org site. Thumbs Up
Andrew
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2011 at 5:24AM
This updating of my Makin' Progress thread has allowed me to add some long missing details!
Mel is getting irritated with me. This weekend, I think I spent 17 hours on repairing a couple posts.
LOL
Andrew
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2011 at 5:36AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

This updating of my Makin' Progress thread has allowed me to add some long missing details!
Mel is getting irritated with me. This weekend, I think I spent 17 hours on repairing a couple posts.
LOL

17 hours!!Shocked   Erin (my girlfriend) was getting upset with me last night b.c I wanted to spend a couple hours last night to catch up on a few days of unread stuff.
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2011 at 6:05AM
Well, Mel went out, she had to go to her folks, and then also spent a chunk at her sister's, and also she went out a saw a couple of her friends.
Friday night, I finished my flooring project at around midnight, and then went on the Mac and sat there until 4:30am. I thought I had only been on til 1:30am friday night/sat morning... Wacko
Andrew
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2011 at 8:33AM
I spend WAY too much time on my sites!
I am SOOOOO looking forward to this weather warming up so I feel motivated to get out and do some work.
I did more work 2 weeks ago in the 50-75 degree weather than I did in the 2 months prior to that!

FLORIDA...FLORIDA...FLORIDA!!!
17 MONTHS!! MAYBE a couple more depending on finances at the time! 
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic