The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 Montego With Wood Brothers Paint Scheme

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 Montego With Wood Brothers Paint Scheme
    Posted: 25-January-2016 at 5:32AM
Hello All.

I figured I would start a thread on my new toy, post up some pictures, and add some thoughts.

First off, this is the 3rd car I have bought sight unseen, on just pictures and the description of the seller.

It is my opinion that unless you have a solid relationship with the seller, or you know them to have an impeccable reputation, expect that you will not be given honest answers to your questions, that the descriptions provided will be "Optimistic" at best, and nothing of significance or importance will be disclosed.

With that said the carrier picked up the car when they said the would and delivered it as seen 5 days later.

It has been so cold and nasty, that I have yet to wash the salt and road grime of the car yet.

Edited by mtburger - 25-January-2016 at 7:34AM
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2016 at 5:36AM
Congrats!  Looks great in the pics.
Originally posted by mtburger mtburger wrote:

It is my opinion that unless you have a solid relationship with the seller, or you know them to have an impeccable reputation, expect that you will not be given honest answers to your questions, that the descriptions provided will be "Optimistic" at best, and nothing of significance or importance will be disclosed.

So, are you saying that you had a solid relationship with the seller, or that you were a little disappointed with your purchase?

Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2016 at 7:03AM
From the pictures, that car looks mighty impressive. Hard to think of a disappointment, so I hope you were pleased.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2016 at 7:33AM
I am saying that the seller did not disclose a bunch of stuff that had I been there in person, I would have seen and there would be no surprises.

For instance, the seller made multiple comments on the condition of the interior being extremely clean, and that he had a new headliner installed.

Upon delivery, I see the drivers side front seat back was laying flat, and he had a pile of junk jammed under it, to try and keep it propped up.

The headliner was replaced as stated, and they used a very nice quality material (it looks, feels like, and I believe it is leather), but the interior trim panels on the pillars were all broke, one is missing, they never put the dome light back, and the shoulder restraints are gone.

After being told how clean the interior was, I asked and he sent me some pictures prior to the sale. You could clearly see that the steering wheel was cracked, so I asked "is the steering wheel cracked", his answer: No it is not.

I get it off the hauler, and it does not run off idle, cannot give it any gas, car has sat for years and the carb is goofed from sitting, was told it runs and drives fine. It runs, but no way could you drive it anywhere like it is.

The brake pedal is on the floor, the dash lights do not work, the exhaust is a cobbled together mess, and the gas gauge does not work, this kind of stuff.

So after delivery, and checking everything out, I texted him and asked how he figured his description was honest or accurate and he played dumb, wanting me to send pictures of everything.

As stated in my WTB post, I was looking for a clean un-rusted, un-crashed car to put my inventory of saved parts into, and this is the most rust free 1972 Intermediate I have seen in the last 30 plus years, so I am not disappointed with the car, or even the stuff that needs attention, I know what 40 year old cars look like.

Honestly, the issue is the intent to deceive which I feel was completely unnecessary as I was going to buy the car anyway, but he was too interested in the sale to care.

The moral to the story is, if you can, take the time to inspect yourself, or expect the unexpected.

All in all, I am very satisfied with the car, I just thought the seller could have done a way better job at being honest.

Done, rant off.

I took the seat apart, found the broken and missing parts in the bottom of it, welded the latch back together and re-assembled it as you see it in the pictures, all set there, works fine.

I pulled the plugs and replaced them. They all were black and very wet looking.

While I had the cap & wires off, I put a breaker bar on the crank, worked it back and fourth to check the timing chain, it is nice and tight.

I ordered a carb kit. I have a nice 2100 carb off a 73 with the tag still on it that I will breakdown, toss into the ultrasonic cleaner and assemble with fresh gaskets to get it up and running properly, then work through the list of stuff.

At this point, I will concentrate on the mechanicals, and minting out the interior.

It has been decades since owning one of these with working air, and being an automatic, I would like to let the Lovely Wife drive it so we can go to some shows and events together.

I will post a couple pictures of the parts stash I have been sitting on since selling the 73 N code a couple summers ago.

Thanks, Mike H.

Edited by mtburger - 25-January-2016 at 7:37AM
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2016 at 12:18PM
Sorry to hear it Mike.  I'm glad it wasn't major / important stuff, like hidden rust or a knock in the engine.  Still, there's no excuse for dishonesty.  Looking forward to seeing what else you have planned for the car!
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2016 at 12:33PM
It is my firm op. that even god could fib on a car and it would be alright.I sold my 350 van I bought just to get my rancharo for what I paid for it. Let the guy use it before he started paying for it. Still owes 800 said I lied because trans went. He is a member of our car club and an steady church goer.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2016 at 2:33PM
Mike that car really is beautiful!!

Sorry I missed your call the other day!

Would LOVE to team up with you in this car for the C2C Express in September!
The new CannonBall Run I helped coordinate last year but could not run due to finances.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2016 at 11:48AM
Hello All.

I got a couple things done on the new ride.

First, I was finally able to wash all the road salt & grime off it and took a couple pictures of it cleaned up.

While going through that process, I found the build sheet under the hood pad.

It was completely deteriorated from heat and age, and was in multiple pieces.

I was able to gently wipe the filth off, and used some heavy duty packing tape to piece it back together, then put it into one of those binder document sleeves and added it to my folder on the car.

Other than my 76 Monarch, this is the only other car I own, that I have been able to recover the build sheet from, pretty cool.

The carb pictured is one a friend of mine I saved off a 73 Torino waaaaay back in the day, and I ended up with.

I Broke it all down, ran the pieces through a couple cycles in the ultra-sonic cleaner and put it all back together again.

One of my Chevy buddies was in the barn when I did the swap.

He was absolutely blown away HARD as the car fired immediately on the first crank, ran for about 10 seconds then stalled.

Second crank, fired right up and cleared out, came up on a high idle, warmed up, and kicked down progressively just like it is supposed to.

I put a vacuum gauge on it and it was pulling 20 inches of vacuum from the jump, adjusted the air bleeds with the gauge and got it to 21 inches.

These carbs are pretty simple, but this was absolutely the most dialed in I have ever got any carb set up after a rebuild.

I used the "Premium Kit" from Mikes Carburetor parts.

It was like $53.00 shipped, but had everything, a very nice kit.

I Also used some of the videos from his sight, which were excellent for reference and set up.

The link below is of that kit.

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Motorcraft-2100-Premium-Carburetor-Kit_p_2147.html

These are the headers that were listed on ebay, but local to me and I got them for only $35.00.

They are a little bit crunchy, but will clean up nice.

I have come up with a pretty cool idea on making the exhaust really look and sound the part, so that is next on the agenda and will require some slicing & dicing.

I will make sure to take a bunch of pictures of the process, as I have read / posted on some other members header threads here, and I think it will help people looking for cheaper header solutions, especially for the 351m 400 crowd.

These are BlackJack / Cyclone headers for 69-70 Mustang Cougar Torino Fairlane 351c 2V.

Back in the early 80's these were less than $100.00 new.

I have used 2 different sets of this exact same set of headers in the 4V version on two other cars.

One on my 73 Montego GT with 4 speed, and one in a 95 Mustang GT that also has a 351c 4V installed in it.

In both instances, the passenger side fit with no problem, and the drivers side needed some modifications.

Each time I was able to end up with a nice set of street headers for under $50.00, not including my labor.

I will have more than that in these when done, and I do not want to give too much away, but I do not think I will be into them for over $200.00 when done.

That's all for now, Mike H.

californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2016 at 12:15PM
Thumbs Up that cleaned up nice (the car) (and the carb too)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2016 at 1:09PM
Mike just saw your post on the Montego. Love the car.
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2016 at 2:11AM
Gotta love those 2100/2150 carbs. Damn near indestructible and only like 8 moving parts when you rebuild.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2016 at 4:31AM
I remember on my 2nd Gran, a 73 formal, I did some grinding in the linkage to give that carb a crazy accel pump shot
72 GT Ute

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2016 at 4:46AM
I ran a bone stock 1976 351w in a Maverick to get the car all set up for a healthier windsor. it ran 15 flat with just a glasspack clamped to the single exhaust that way. I played around with the carb and managed to get a 14.50 out of it. I then added a 100 hp shot of nitrous with a 2bbl plate kit and ripped off 12.80's lol   i still have that 2bbl plate kit too, was fun to pop the hood and show everyone my stock "302 2bbl" (most non diehard ford guys can't tell the difference between a 302 or 351w, so I always said it was a 302 and I had the solenoids, lines and plate well disguised and hidden under the largest factory air cleaner i could find) and then rip off high 12's  lol       those carbs can be worked with and perform VERY well though

Edited by MrSmog - 13-February-2016 at 4:47AM
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2016 at 5:21AM
I used to collect the 2bbls back in the 80s. Get the bigger bore ones off 390s, 400s, and the occasional 429. Then it was mix-n-match to jet them to work on a 302 or a 351.
Some of the 80s 302s had an aluminum 2bbl manifold that worked well with a re-jetted "Big" 2100, and it all looked stock and it was free, or nearly free. Kickdowns worked like stock. because they were.
Some of the local dirt tracks had classes where you had to run a 2bbl, so I had friends that were really into this.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2016 at 2:06AM
Mike i think the car is really nice . I know you are a little pissed but really i have seen many times people really get screwed on a car online but i think you did really good . 
Why are you putting the 2 barrel  you rebuilt on it,  if its a 4v ? Unless i missed something you wrote 
1972 Torino Sport 4Spd Q 351c
2010 Ford SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2016 at 4:14AM
Hello Raptor.

I truly am over my rant, and as mentioned I am 100% good with the car.

Yes agreed, I have seen way worse deception with online car sales as you mentioned.

Here again, I think my feelings were a byproduct of not being there in person, or not having a trusted non-biased 3rd party do an inspection, and then when the car showed up to see a list of broken, non disclosed, obvious issues.

Like the seat, I mean come on. It gets no more obvious than that, and you could see that the seller took exceptional effort to prevent me from knowing that the seat was in that condition by the angles and views of the pictures he sent to me of the interior.

This is the 3rd car I have purchased in this manner and after the fact all 3 times I have thought I should have had an inspection done on the vehicle by myself, or a 3rd party prior to the sale.

That is because in each case there were multiple things that would be completely obvious in person, but never mentioned, or absurdly downplayed by the seller prior to the sale.

That is just how it is.

If you are not there, you cannot see, so you cannot ask, and then when the vehicle shows up, you have a bunch of WTF moments after the fact.

Honestly, the real point that I wanted to make clear is that unless you know, and are completely comfortable with the seller, to put your eyes or have someone that you trust put their eyes on the item your are going to buy sight u-seen.

That way you can get an honest non-biased assessment of the true condition of the item, and even though it may add cost, or time to the purchase, I believe it is worth it.

It really is the only way to avoid these kinds of irritating, unnecessary surprises.

The car is a 2V car, I had that air cleaner and put it on the car for looks.

The original 2V air cleaner is in perfect shape sitting on the bench, and will be added to the "pay it forward" thread as soon as I get a chance to post up some pictures.

I am going to run it with that carb and intake it has, update the ignition, exhaust, and possibly the brakes, along with fixing the other mechanicals that need looking into.

Thanks.

Mike H.

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2016 at 4:26AM
very cool car, you gonna put those nascar side exhaust tips on it?
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2016 at 1:10PM
Mike,
What is the junction block for near the starter solenoid?
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2016 at 5:08PM
Originally posted by 75GranMan 75GranMan wrote:

Mike,
What is the junction block for near the starter solenoid?
There is an Ammeter hung off that junction.

It is in a small 2 gauge cluster located under the passenger side of the dash for amps and oil pressure.

I will post some pictures of the gauges, the stenciled numbers under the hood, and a Pilot's Association sticker that is on the rear window.

I think the car may have started out life on an Air Force, or Naval base, and may have belonged to a pilot, but I have nothing to back up that assertion other than the pictures noted.

I am going to get a standard Marti report on the car too. For the price I think they are worth the money. Sometimes they have cool little tidbits on them, sometimes not.

We'll see.

Mike H.
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2016 at 3:58AM
Was this car for sale on CL in Ca in So-Cal?
1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic