The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 Montego With Wood Brothers Paint Scheme

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2017 at 7:31AM
Thanks Guys, the comments are much appreciated.

I only put a about 2-300 miles on the car from January to October when I put it away.

Is seamed like every time I got one issues resolved, a couple more would pop up.

Also, I went WAAAAAY out of my way to go to the smaller C4, and that had a few unexpected issues, the biggest one, was the reason I went to the Hughes torque convertor.

My reasoning for using the small 157 tooth flex plate and bell, instead of the 164 tooth stuff was that it would take a good bit of weight off the crank to help with performance and also for extra header clearance.

When I stored the C4 from the Monarch, I wanted to avoid a mess in the basement, so I drained the transmission and tossed the convertor. I figured if I needed one, I would just get a re-man Dayco for $40.00 or whatever like I have about a dozen times in the past, nope not even close.

I could not find a rebuilder / supplier that had a 157 tooth C4 stock replacement torque convertor left on the east coast, and buy the time I got one located, shipped, and payed the core charge, it was cheaper to get a performance one through Summit, so I ordered the Hughes.

The difference in weight between the stock 164 tooth unit and the 9 inch Hughes was about 10 pounds, plus the additional stall made it an easy decision.

I forgot to mention several other updates that were done over the same time frame, like gas tank & sender, Petronix ignition & coil, the rest of the exhaust to go with the headers, and I replaced the pumpkin with a 4.10 unit that was previously in the Montego GT.

By the time I put the car away, it was pretty quick, especially for only having a 2 barrel carb on it, but certainly not as fast as it looks.

I have some other 351C parts like a mild hydraulic cam & lifter kit, and a nice used Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap intake that would give it a good bump, but it runs excellent right now, and I think I would like to enjoy it for a while as is before I swap to the 460 / stick combo, although I may take it to New England Dragway as is to get a baseline.

The car show pictures were form the Spindles Car Club Labor Day Weekend show in Pembroke, MA and a it drew a ton of attention.

The last couple things I did were to fix some appearance issues.

The previous owner used 3m Blue masking tape for the stripes, nice.

Every time I washed the car, some of them would wash off, so I had that straightened out.

I also had the Mercury script decals made up for the lower rear quarter panels, then bought a couple of the "Competition Proven" Holman & Moody decals and put those on too.

Mike H.

Edited by mtburger - 18-May-2017 at 7:32AM
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2017 at 8:50AM
at least use 3M Blue electrical tape LOL

i was wondering if you've seen the HM cam data plate? i can't find them separate but there's on in this bag o stuff

72 GT Ute

mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2017 at 9:48AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

at least use 3M Blue electrical tape LOL

i was wondering if you've seen the HM cam data plate? i can't find them separate but there's on in this bag o stuff

No I have not.

I would try giving the people running the website a call, they may be able to get you what you are looking for. That is where I got the stickers, and a couple T shirts.

More than likely I am guessing, those are gone, so you might have to pony up the $60.00 to that joker if that is an item you are hot for.

http://www.holmanmoody.com/

Mike H.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2017 at 2:03PM
Looks really good, great work.  You should post your spring choice, a picture of the stance of your car in the coil spring thread.  Will be useful for someone looking for a spring in between a stock and the CVPI springs.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2017 at 1:17AM
What a great build, and the pics of each step (especially that front suspension) is great information!
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1973 Gran Torino Sportsroof
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
2003 F-150 5.4
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2017 at 4:42AM
i was thinking for you, it'd be a nice HM touch to your engine bay Thumbs Up
72 GT Ute

73 Ranchero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Ranchero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2017 at 11:37PM
Mike,
     Where you out in your car yesterday, if so you passed me in Stoughton about 5:45pm. 

Bob
73 Ranchero

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic