The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Photo Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Ford Gran Torino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Ford Gran Torino
    Posted: 18-October-2021 at 1:32PM
Last drive before I put the Torino into storage tomorrow.  Being a first time classic car owner, I wasn't sure what to expect - but I can say without a doubt, I'm glad I stuck with the getting the car back up and running.  Driving the Torino has brought back many great memories of my sister.  I still picture her sharing with pride this vehicle.  This was her favorite car.

I also am glad I found this forum, the welcome has been great.  Your help and expertise has been really appreciated.

Pictures taken on the shores of Lake Erie.

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2021 at 3:18PM
Great pictures, the car looks really sharp. I am happy to hear the forum has been helpful. What are you doing to store the car? At minimum get some good fuel stabilizer and run the car long enough for it to get in the carb. Make sure your tires are aired up to max pressure and disconnect the battery (use a battery maintenaner if you have one). It's a good idea to do some rodent prevention too. They say dryer sheets in the interior help keep them away. You can also put so steel wool inside or cover the exhaust and air cleaner snorkel. I change the oil too, but if it's not too old you should be fine.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2021 at 3:53PM
Hi Vince,

Thanks for the tips on the car storage.  I really appreciate it and will follow these items!

Thanks again,
Chris
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2021 at 6:51PM
   Chris, use jack stands if you have them. That way all the tires are off of the ground and you have access to the brakes and the undercarriage as well. It will also allow you to make a to-do list.
78FordLtd2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2021 at 6:11PM
Sweet Torino!!

Yes, jackstands are a good idea. Fill the fuel tank completely and add some fuel stabilizer. Block the exhaust with some steel wool and maybe place a few dryer sheets under the hood. I don't know if that really works for the critters but it's worth a try. Fire it up once a month and let it warm up. That will help with keeping your gaskets from drying out and shrinking and your battery charged.

Awesome car!
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2021 at 1:05AM
Very nice. 
Steve M.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2021 at 7:03AM
Originally posted by 78FordLtd2 78FordLtd2 wrote:

Sweet Torino!!

Block the exhaust with some steel wool and maybe place a few dryer sheets under the hood. I don't know if that really works for the critters but it's worth a try.
LOL! When I got my Thunderbird, it was non-running. Pushed it into my garage and replaced the engine. When I started it for the first time, several steel wool balls popped out of the exhaust. The really coarse stainless steel stuff like an SOS pad without soap. I was wondering what kind of moron put them up there and why. Now I know.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
shanefolsom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shanefolsom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2021 at 2:49AM
I do like that color.  It looks really nice.
Good idea to use steel wool in the exhaust Thumbs Up
1976 Gran Torino Limited #1
1976 Gran Torino Limited #2
1973 Gran Torino Sport
1969 Roadrunner
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2021 at 1:12PM
My mom found these photos of my father's 1973 Torino.

They said his had opera windows installed for the back seat.

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2021 at 1:13PM
... and can't forget the Buffalo, NY winters.

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2022 at 9:53AM
My Dad's 1973 Ford Gran Torino.

Family photo .

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2022 at 4:26PM
Hi Everyone,

Just received my Marti report.  Very cool,was able to confirm my sister bought the Torino from the original owner (via Count Kustoms in Las Vegas - they found the type/color/trim/year she wanted --  to match my Dad's original).

I'll get it out of winter storage in a couple of weeks - looking forward to it!

Thanks,
Chris

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2022 at 8:40AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the help.  I just picked up the Torino from winter storage (Warner's Car Storage in Erie, PA), the car started right up and runs good.

- Used fuel stabilizer.
- Unhooked the battery (the storage doesn't allow visitation).
- Used dryer sheets.
- I also bought a couple of dehumidifier packs.

I just replaced the bumper guard pad that was missing the rubber piece.  Definitely took a while between the nuts being on there for 50 years and the small space to work in, but the end result looks great!

Thanks again for the help!

Chris

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2022 at 10:00AM
Very nice 
Steve M.
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2022 at 10:40AM
Enjoy!

Al
 Post Reply Post Reply