The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Gran Torino FMX Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Backlash17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Gran Torino FMX Transmission
    Posted: 21-May-2013 at 10:35AM
Hey everyone,
As of last week I no longer have 3rd gear in my FMX transmission. I am curious if any one on here could help me decide either to rebuild the original or to upgrade and what to if I do?? C6, C4? and if there's any specifications I need in picking the right one. Thanks everyone for the help.Dead
~Zach~
1973 Ford Gran Torino 351C
aktorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aktorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2013 at 9:57PM
My Torino also has it's original FMX. Mine has 70K on it and it seems to be working ok but.... I'm planning on swapping in a 460 sometime soon and am going with a C-6. There doesn't seem to be many parts upgrades for the FMX, but I must say, the one in my car works just fine. I may be incorrect, but I think the C4 has a cable operated kickdown linkage  while the c6 has a lever like the FMX. Swapping in a C6 is a little bit more work but it's darn near bullet proof and there are many parts available for them. I'm going to modify(cut/weld) my crossmember and shorten my driveshaft to mount the one into my car...
The FMX, if you're just stock motor and not running it hard, if you can get a decent deal on getting it rebuilt, I don't see why not.
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2013 at 11:02PM
I think Monster transmissions has a rebuild kit for an fmx. I am going with a c6 because of more availability of parts and cheaper too.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2013 at 2:07AM
My FMX in my '68 F100 (later model transmission) started not going to 3rd. Then it would skip 2nd and go to 3rd. Then start in 2nd and go to 3rd. Then it was a crapshoot as to what gears I would be blessed with on any given day...sometimes 1st and 3rd, sometimes 2nd and 3rd, sometimes 1st and 2nd, sometimes only 2nd...but always that first start of the day L O N G delay going into Reverse. Get impatient and slightly touch the gas before it engaged and WHAM! - into Reverse you'd go, LOL.

I'd do a fluid/filter change, check all vacuume lines and modulator valve(if so equipped) first. SOme peoploe rave about these FMX's, and some hate them.

Me? I'd go with a nice C4 with a good kit or a C6.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2013 at 3:27AM
mine started doing that in stacy lynn.  wouldn't go into reverse or 3rd gear until it warmed up.  I ended up having it rebuilt, seems to work fine now.  wish I could get her on the road and try her out on an extended basis... *sigh*...
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2013 at 6:41AM
My C4 lost all forward gears and that's why mine has been sitting for 33 years
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2013 at 8:47AM

I couldn't possibly let a tranny park me for that long.

Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2013 at 9:02AM
I have let a fear of damage, and a loss of Redneck keep my '76 parked since 1984. Shameful, I know...
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2013 at 9:37AM
the FMX responds to all the usual mods the same way the C6 & C4 do. IIRC clutches & steels from the AOD/E work, remove the wave from the packs, change the accumulator springs, use a thinner pressure plate & you'll get an extra clutch in, there's a valve body kit available, leave the puck out, bump up the line pressure, lighten the governor... it'll shift like a Bandit!

w/o getting a new driveshaft, dip tube, correct linkage arm, linkage rod, re-working or getting a new shifter... a trans swap is no small deal, any good builder can warm up the FMX 
72 GT Ute

Chiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2017 at 4:28AM
hi guys iam new here thinking of buying a 1973 gran torino sport with a 351 ? don't know yet if its a 351 c   or 351 cobra jet, it does not have 3rd gear eather. ? ?
Chiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2017 at 4:29AM
dot know the trans eather. ?
M Casey Stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2017 at 3:45AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

the FMX responds to all the usual mods the same way the C6 & C4 do. IIRC clutches & steels from the AOD/E work, remove the wave from the packs, change the accumulator springs, use a thinner pressure plate & you'll get an extra clutch in, there's a valve body kit available, leave the puck out, bump up the line pressure, lighten the governor... it'll shift like a Bandit!

w/o getting a new driveshaft, dip tube, correct linkage arm, linkage rod, re-working or getting a new shifter... a trans swap is no small deal, any good builder can warm up the FMX 

That's what I'm talking about !!! My local rebuilder has the same attitude. Lots of haters on the FMX for no reason.

1975 Gran Torino, Copperhead

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/75-gran-torino-soft-restoration-copper-head_topic15137_post169060.html?KW=#169060
M Casey Stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2017 at 3:47AM
I think that if I ever decide to go to the trouble to change my FMX out for something else, it will be for an AOD, but I put mine together to drive and cruise not race.
1975 Gran Torino, Copperhead

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/75-gran-torino-soft-restoration-copper-head_topic15137_post169060.html?KW=#169060
 Post Reply Post Reply