The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Gran Torino Restomod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 31>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Gran Torino Restomod
    Posted: 17-January-2015 at 12:26PM
Well I think its time I made a thread on here for you guys to look through.

In September 2014 I bought myself my first American car and drove it 330 miles home after a 5 hour trip to get to where it was in the first place! 

The vehicle came to me as a matching numbers vehicle with a 351c and C4 auto, Brougham interior and horrid little steel wheels with hub caps. 

New rear wheels (which will now become the fronts as I'm getting some MT alloys for the rear)

The rears are 255/60/16s but they'll be finding their way onto the front when the rear alloys and 285/65/17s arrive 

Following on from the wheel and tyre upgrade I made a start on the engine and exhaust

Oh and you cant have new engine parts without one of these Cool

The exhaust is a twin system, X pipe, 2.5" stainless system, Flowmaster 10 mufflers and slash cut swept vertical side exits 

Quick vid of the system

So heres the newest lot, I've gone for some Aussie 4V heads featuring the pro stock 2.25" valves! They're monsters, aluminium high port conversions and fully ported inlet and exhaust sides, Torker manifold, Comp Cams triple springs, Cam, ARP studs, 74 front end to give mine a face lift, sports mirrors and soon to be purchased some Harland Sharp roller rockers

Future plans include a new 4.86:1 Strange rear end with 31 spline Strange shafts, TKO 600 transmission, interior overhaul, roll cage, full engine tear down and build with forged pistons, under seal, rear Wilwood brakes, front Wilwood brakes or SSBC upgraded pads and rotors, H4 upgrade, spotlights behind the grille, rear LED reverse lights and much more.

Stay tuned for progress pics. I'll be swapping out the cam and heads before making up some custom stainless headers or matching a 4V set to the BBC size ports on these heads 
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2015 at 1:01PM
Liking the progress so far. 
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2015 at 3:55PM
wow incredible, LOVE the single zoomie style pipe!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2015 at 4:42PM
same cam & springs a I ran back when, should like the 4.86 Big smile

in one pic I see an X-cellerator, then lower down I see a Torker?

not sure why you're calling those Aussie heads, do they have an ARD prefix on the cast code?

they look to be US 4V Closed Chambers with exhaust plates fitted. Australia never produced any 4V large port heads, they used 2V small port heads with several versions of a 2V ported 4bbl intake. any large port heads Down Under were produced in the US, imported on assembled complete engines & installed in their cars on their assy lines. then at some date they began their own production  
72 GT Ute

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2015 at 8:50PM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

wow incredible, LOVE the single zoomie style pipe!

Thanks, they sound excellent at high RPMs!

Oh and if I've left the car sitting for a while the first few minutes of running involve it shooting plumes of steam in to the air every time I rev! 
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2015 at 9:00PM
The 4.86 should also help combat the 32" tyres! I'm tempted to actually drop the TKO idea and just throw in a 4 speed, this cams designed for 3200-3400rpm cruising so I'd just be sitting in 4th at 70 anyway or 3rd at 60 if I was using the TKO! But we'll see......

Ahh yes the Xcellerator was bought along with those Hedmans and its whats currently on the vehicle but these new heads wont accept them! So its getting that modified Torker fitted with the new heads

In all honesty I'm not sure if they're Aussie or US, in fact I have a feeling they could be proper Boss 302 heads given that they've got water holes in the heads for the inlet manifold (hence the modified Torker to cover them!)

These heads are from a Prostock/NASCAR engine and thats as much as I can tell you as they feature the largest valves ever fitted to a Cleveland head at 2.25" on the inlet side 

Anyway my plan is to drop the cam and heads into the car with a new chain and run it for a bit until I can afford some new I beams and forged lightweight flat top pistons from Probe. Will be running the 3/16th ring pack version and I'll drop a new Mildon sump on it at the same time as mines dented and abused! 

Next on the shopping list are the roller rockers, Autometer GPS speedo and rear end Big smile should be able to afford them both in a couple of months I hope. Until then I'll be wiring up the headlights and making a new loom, fitting an air horn, HID spotlights behind the grille and the Autometer Tacho and of course the sports mirrors as I'd like to be able to see what I've just passed! 

I may even give it a rough rattle can makeover (the new front end is orange as you can see, one mirror is green and the other is black but they're both remote style!)
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2015 at 9:10PM
i wondered about that grill in the pic, so you're going with a 74-76 grill? Thumbs Up are you keeping the 73 bumper? my 74 had a 73 bumper on it when i got the car, i liked the flatter look so i kept it that way!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2015 at 9:33PM
Yep! Smile 74 front end, 73 front bumper and with a 72 rear end is probably the perfect combo for this car! 

Plus the extended front means my HID spots will fit behind the grille Wink just there incase the four 150% bright H4 units I'm fitting aren't enough! 

I'll be running all four lights as dip and main beam just due to hating unused lights. All four will also have an LED side light in them
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2015 at 1:40AM
Gonna follow this build, where are you located in the UK?
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2015 at 1:57AM
I'm up in the lakes, build will be mainly mechanical stuff to begin with. No point in having a pretty car that gets beaten by a prius! Beaten up, faded and mean!
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2015 at 2:34AM
I'll be around London in May, is it near by?
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2015 at 4:08AM
No I'm up near the Scottish border! Quite a bit north
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2015 at 10:25PM
Decided if I've got Nascar heads I may as well have a Nascar exhaust......Flowmasters are going up for sale and I'll buy some of these!

http://www.drgas.com/Boom-Tube-Muffler_p_32.html
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2015 at 3:17AM
About two hours ago this was a fully furnished and presentable Gran Torino with a bit of a mouldy smell inside. 

Now its stripped and I've found the cause of the water ingress as well as the reason it never dries out! 

Old furry insulation holding moisture, few holes in the roof (which I am not happy about! as some bellend before me....probably the importer obviously just though some body filler and paint would fix the holes left by the vinyl) and the rear windscreen seal seems to be leaking a bit 

Rust is only surface corrosion thankfully (in most places) 

So my plan....strip out the interior crosses for the head lining which are just held in with seam sealer from the looks of things. Sand down, prime with zinc rich primer, strip the paint off with a 120grit flap disc, weld in some panels from below and then blend them in flush with the old roof before seam sealing. 

The roof will then be primed from the outside and painted matte black. As good a time as any to do so really......Inside of the roof will get lined with closed cell dodo matt and I wont bother with a roof liner. Will just mould the dodo as tight as I can and leave it looking industrial seeing as I'm fitting a cage 

Anyway pics

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2015 at 3:22AM
Dodo matt???
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2015 at 4:24AM
Its a closed cell foam adhesive insulation, wont retain water and helps deaden sound inside as well as insulate 
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2015 at 7:08AM
Judging by your pictures, you could probably fix the roof holes with a jeweler's torch and brazing rod.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2015 at 7:11AM
I probably could do some brazing but for what its a lot easier with a mig really, been a while since I did any brazing or oxy welding so I'd be a bit wary 
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2015 at 9:33AM
Oh update from the weekend.....

I decided I may as well gut the entire car after finding a damp carpet and I'm so glad I did! Found plenty of surface rust but very manageable at this point in time. 
Plan is to remove the rust when I'm back next, as per the roof prime the sh*t out of it and then dodo matt this fat boy up! Might even use the thicker venom matt for the floor. Anyway 5 hours of work in total to do this

Oh and mods.....we need a better photo uploading system! Bulk uploader would be lovely and a redesign to make it easier to work with 

First port of call today was to remove the front bench seat as it needs replacing anyway

Following this I made a start on stripping out the rear seats and 1/4 panel trim cards, dead easy when you've got all the right Snap-On gear to play with! I love my new trim removal tool

yeah.......thats ash! 

Carpet up time! 

This is what I found :( Oh and that little green Snap-On tough scraper is the perfect tool for removing that bitumen based sound deadening and old seam sealer! 

Found the build sheet too, stuck to the bitumen on the floor side so it had gotten nice and wet.....

The general mess

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2015 at 9:34AM
I do also need a seal for the window (rear) and the little corner door piece seals....you know the ones that sit under the sliding rear window on the upper part of the striker area? Held on by four screws if anyone knows the part number or has some good ones! 

Should add.....my plan is to make a marine grade plywood rear panel between the seat and trunk as it'll be far better than the damp cardboard one, coat that in dodo and the same goes for the parcel shelf. My speakers look decent so I think I'll keep them unless I get a good deal on some 

And does anyone know the following because I'm stumped

One: Why did my passenger side of the bench have a live and earth connected to it?

Two: What are the red and black wiring connectors that were also there? I'm assuming these may have had heated or electric seat options?

Three: Why was there an electrical connector and wire to the seatbelt?

Four: What was the other loom with the big earth cable (can be seen on drivers side) for? 

Thanks in advance guys

Edited by Nuggets - 01-February-2015 at 9:37AM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 31>
  Share Topic