The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Gran Torino Restomod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 31>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2015 at 9:55AM
my guess would be for a power seat? does your bench seat have any electric motors under it? looks like you got power windows! but i see maybe power quarter windows??? i didn't know any formal roof quarter windows rolled down and power too??? the wire to the seat belts are for a seat belt interlock system (i thought that came out in 74?) prevents the starter from working until the seat belts are worn 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2015 at 10:02AM
Yeah I thought so too so I think I'll use them when I install new power seats as they'll already be fed with 12v :)

I have power windows front and rear, the rear ones slide back into the body rather than down just like the 72's. I may take the motors out to rebuild though as they're a little slow on the drivers side. A good blast of GT85 and white grease first though! 

Oh cool, well I can start mine without having a seat belt on so I assume the wirings there but it isn't connected to the ignition system. Mines a 73 so could be a late one, would need to check the build sheet fully I guess or decode the VIN to find out. Might well be that I have a very late model so they were fitting 74 parts/looms! 

My front window master switches on the drivers door panel are buggered so I need to find a new set of switches or repair them! 
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2015 at 4:11PM
you can get a marti report and find out what all came on the car and how many were made with each option. i got one for my car knowing it wasn't anything special but cool info to have
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2015 at 4:52PM
Wire in the seat is for the sensor that tells the fasten seatbelt light that there is someone IN the seat, then the seatbelt wire tells the fasten seatbelt light that the seatbelt is or isn't buckled.
(This system ended up tied into the ever-loved seatbelt interlock)
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2015 at 9:41PM
Well todays job is to order a whole load of wire brushes, flap discs, zinc primer, top coat tough paint and sound deadening

Carpet wise I'm just going to use some household stuff, cheaper and you can get water resistant stuff. Would love to hand beat some ally floor covers and rivet them in for an industrial look but don't have the time or budget for that
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2015 at 2:28AM
When you prime the floor pan, make sure you also topcoat it in a paint of some sort. Primer itself will attract and hold moisture, where a good topcoat of paint (Rustoleum) will seal the metal surface and keep everything protected.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2015 at 2:44AM
I'm painting everything in U-Pol Raptor! Think I'll strip the chrome trim from the sides too and go for a stealth look
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2015 at 7:40AM
So this weekend I fitted the new rears......big improvement but still not high enough! So I'm going to raise it up about 2" more with spring spacers, elongate the shock mounts and use some wide angle UJ's to sort out the drive line angles or possible a double-decarbon joint.

I also ended up stripping out the dash (almost, bloody steering wheels in the way) only cracked it in a couple of places too so not all bad! 

My plan is to pull the wheel seeing as hitting it with a dead blow only got it so far, buy a Grant wheels, Le Mans steering wheel and do behind the dash properly as there was some surface rust. Also going to move the earths to a slightly better point i.e. the bulkhead rather than on the dash.....

Oh and 31.5" tyres may well be a tight fit.....we'll see. If they are then I'll just order a higher gear....4.55 instead of 4.86:1 

Pics! 

Old Vs New

Current front look with the 205/70/14's! Totally wrong......need those 255/65/16s up there ASAP!

Swap time.

I guess at this point it'd be rude not to at least measure up for a cage........I mean the entire interior is now removed and about ready for blasting and welding so its about as good a time as any to drop in a roll cage isn't it! 

Plus it gives me an excuse to use the TIG welder! 
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2015 at 9:06AM
Speedway Motor for your cage!!

they make full kits already bent bars for our cars. They are the same as they were when they were building cages for them for the track way back. Probably ship to you and easier than trying to bend your own up.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2015 at 9:07AM
Let me know what kind of cage you're gonna run, I'm still debating on which type to go with.
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2015 at 9:14AM
Regul8r I cant seem to find the cage on there? Have you got a direct link?

My plan was to measure up and buy in pre bent mandrels but if theres a stock cage then I'll buy one for sure, far easier than making it from scratch! 
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2015 at 9:17AM
Never mind found it! I'll give them a call/email tomorrow :) 

Just trying to work out if the cage is a generic looking one like in the photos or if its a body hugging one......don't really want a generic style one even if it says its built to spec.
I want it to hug the interior so it isn't too visible when looking at a distance 

Edited by Nuggets - 15-February-2015 at 9:28AM
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2015 at 10:16AM
The thing about Speedway is you can buy JUST PIECES of the cage.
My idea was to buy the rear hoop(roll bar), the windshield roof hoop and the front down bars.
that would get you/me a good 4 point cage that is prebent to fit, good materials and ready to mount in.
THEN I could order side bars. rear cross bars IF I wanted those particular bars.
My thought is a GREAT starting point then custom make rear down bars that follow the contour of the roof rear sail panels and mount where I want them. Same as side bars, cross bars and front down bars.

These guys also build cages and bend pipe all day long and can bend up what you want too!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2015 at 10:26AM
I read in your post that you were going to elongate your shock holes, I wouldn't recommend that, either relocate the holes or buy longer shocks.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2015 at 10:34AM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

The thing about Speedway is you can buy JUST PIECES of the cage.
My idea was to buy the rear hoop(roll bar), the windshield roof hoop and the front down bars.
that would get you/me a good 4 point cage that is prebent to fit, good materials and ready to mount in.
THEN I could order side bars. rear cross bars IF I wanted those particular bars.
My thought is a GREAT starting point then custom make rear down bars that follow the contour of the roof rear sail panels and mount where I want them. Same as side bars, cross bars and front down bars.

These guys also build cages and bend pipe all day long and can bend up what you want too!

See I can do that in the UK too which is probably a bit cheaper, theres a custom cage shop 50 miles from me.....

I may get it back up and running without a cage and then bring it down to them and get one custom bent, thing is I only really need to remove the seats and carpet to make it fit or just bolt it down through the body and use some spreader plates.

My main concern is that if I buy something that doesn't quite fit from the states its a pain to send back! 

Anyway onwards. As it was pay day on Friday I've bought the spring spacers! 1.5" aluminium blocks which should raise me anywhere between 1.850 and 2.250" up from where it is now. That should complete the rake angle look I'm after and I can then concentrate on the wheels/tyres to complete it

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2015 at 10:36AM
You've mis understood.

I plan on elongating the mount on the shock itself, my thinking is that as its just a bolt I can turn and tap a piece of .250 wall pipe or .350, screw it over the current thread and then screw a stud in to the top of it 

Either that or I will simply weld some box section to the current mount and drop it 4" to make up for the raised height

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2015 at 11:49AM
BTW the spring spacers should fit on the top of the spring
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2015 at 2:40PM
72 GT Ute

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2015 at 6:33PM
I thoughts the spacer went on the base of the spring! It's the ally block one not poly?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2015 at 6:52PM
IDK, but i put mine on the top of the spring and it fit perfect mine too were aluminum, my thinking is they probably fit on either end of the spring, but on the top they would be up inside the spring pocket cup part of the frame (less chance of them slipping out) on the bottom here isn't a whole lot to hold them in there if for some reason the spring were to shift i think they could slip out easier on the bottom than the top (plus you can't see them up there-- on the bottom anyone behind you could see them) just my opinion
 the ones i have look like this: (a buddy of mine gave them to me , from a 73 ranchero he parted years ago)
SPC Performance Coil Spring Spacer Aluminum 1.50&quot; Thick Rear Ford Psgr Car EA

Edited by californiajohnny - 15-February-2015 at 7:11PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 31>
  Share Topic