The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Gran Torino Restomod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 31>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2015 at 8:32PM
Yeah those are the ones I've bought too

I may well fit them to the top or extend the bottom perch upwards a bit with some pipe
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2015 at 6:16AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

IDK, but i put mine on the top of the spring and it fit perfect mine too were aluminum, my thinking is they probably fit on either end of the spring, but on the top they would be up inside the spring pocket cup part of the frame (less chance of them slipping out) on the bottom here isn't a whole lot to hold them in there if for some reason the spring were to shift i think they could slip out easier on the bottom than the top (plus you can't see them up there-- on the bottom anyone behind you could see them) just my opinion
 the ones i have look like this: (a buddy of mine gave them to me , from a 73 ranchero he parted years ago)
SPC Performance Coil Spring Spacer Aluminum 1.50&amp;quot; Thick Rear Ford Psgr Car EA

That's funny John!
THIS spacer belongs on the BOTTOM.
sits on the axle and the spring sits on the spacer.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2015 at 6:24AM
as for shocks... what you are talking is doing this...

THEY SUCK AND WILL BREAK!

What I did was use 2001 Ford Lightning Truck shocks.
They are taller but also will allow full travel on compression.
ONLY issue is they have a smaller bolt hole on the bottom so you could drill a hole a little above your current hole or put a spacer/sleeve over the bolt to make up the difference.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2015 at 7:15AM
I was going to make a set out of a decent grade steel rather tan cheap crap ones

Already got a set of good shocks so may have to sell them and buy new ones......
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2015 at 8:34AM
Thought of how to extended them......bit of box section with a hole drilled straight through it bolt it to the mount using a 10.9 grade bolt then bolt the shock to the box 

Job done 
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2015 at 1:16PM
Originally posted by Nuggets Nuggets wrote:

Thought of how to extended them......bit of box section with a hole drilled straight through it bolt it to the mount using a 10.9 grade bolt then bolt the shock to the box 

Job done 

THAT would work, just have to watch the angle of the lower shock bolt when you push it away from the axle. It is CLOSE on mine with it in a stock hole place.

Instead of a box... put a small PLATE on it and redrill the smaller hole. A few spot welds to hold that plate in place and you could ALWAYS die grind/cut it off later.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2015 at 7:06PM
In theory the angles should be similar once dropped, however if I can get the shocks sold in the UK I'll buy some new ones

I have a feeling landrover shocks may fit.....
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2015 at 11:22AM
Just as an update! 

I have a TIG welder now and a compressor so the real fun will begin as soon as my shot and spray guns arrive! Get this show on the road :)
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2015 at 2:36PM
Clap TIG welder! now i'm jealous, i've been welding since i was ten, and i don't even have a TIG welder!   YET!!!!Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2015 at 6:41PM
Its to do the roof Wink cant be messing with an overpowered mig or using my old stick set on something that thin! 

I'd be oxy welding it if I had more time to practice with it, my favourite kind of welding just don't get much opportunity to use it

Plasma cutter, lathe and milling machine are next on the hit list! My mates just got a unit with three phase so I'll have somewhere to store/use them 

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2015 at 1:27AM
Just so you can be jealous Tongue I did have a quick play with it yesterday, not used one in about two years so my welding was a bit sloppy to start with. Few more practice sessions and I'll be back up to scratch 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2015 at 2:37AM
Thumbs Up descent looking compressor too!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2015 at 8:28PM
1979 it was built :) paid £100 for it and its fully working!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2015 at 12:31AM
cool, my compressor was built in 1936,still works great!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2015 at 1:07AM
Old stuff seems to be made of better materials and built to a higher standard!
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2015 at 3:00AM
Oh as a micro update I did take some measurements for the tyres. They will fit (285/65/17) but I will need to swap out the bushes in order to remove the play in travel and worst case scenario is trimming 1/2" off the edge of the front of the arch.

My spring spacers have now arrived in the UK so the next update will contain pics! And hopefully the tigged up roof.....
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2015 at 9:37AM
I now own a toploader Big smile aaaaand.......NASCAR Boom Tubes! 

Toploader is being picked up next weekend and the exhaust is being shipped over from the states this week! 

Edited by Nuggets - 03-March-2015 at 9:39AM
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2015 at 9:42AM
Love the exhaust tips.
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2015 at 9:47AM
Ok, the Toploader is cool, but the NASCAR exhaust is bada$$!!!!
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2015 at 9:55AM
I cant wait to get it fitted and fire it up! 3.5" bore pipe!!! Means I'll have to make a start on adding power to make the most of my stupid flow rates now

Toploader wants a rebuild but I picked it up cheap so well worth it, new bearing kit and I'll be good to go once I save up for the manual conversion parts. Doing it universal style with a Wilwood kit so I'll document it when the time comes. 

There will be pictures this week as my spring spacers have arrived and I want to weld up the holes in the roof
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 31>
  Share Topic