The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 GTS - Street/Track

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2017 at 10:45AM
the 2 that make continuity when in park and neutral... on the dash harness connector side... jump those terminals together, see if the car starts?? if so just connect them together! the NSS prevents the small solenoid engage wire from getting power unless it's in P or N Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2017 at 9:28AM
Got the neutral safety switch wired up per the schematic.  Now having troubles re-installing the left header.

I just can't get the header to snake/wiggle from underneath between the steering box and the bell housing. No room to go down from the top.

Any help advice would be greatly appreciated..

Fyi.....the blue connector on the NSS with the purple and green wire is for the seat belt buzzer safety feature.

Edited by BackInBlack - 03-September-2017 at 1:08AM
-John
1973 GTS
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2017 at 10:11AM
Unbolt left engine mount from the frame. Loosen right frame thru-bolt but do not remove.
Raise engine on left side so it pivots on right mount.
This moves it up and to the right at the same time.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2017 at 10:28AM
Where is a good place to jack the engine?   there isn't a flange on the block like on the passenger side to jack it.   I was thinking about that as well...but couldnt find a safe place to jack the engine.   Only the edge of the oil pan...   fuel pump, oil filter. etc all in the way

I guess the other option is removing the power steering gearbox...but that's a major pain in the tush.

-John
1973 GTS
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2017 at 11:19AM
use a piece of thick plywood or 1x4 wood between the oil pan and the jack, with the bolt loose and the other out like randy said, jack it up Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2017 at 12:12PM
Ok thanks...I'll try it tomorrow morning.   Headers and exhaust...then I fire it up with the 5 speed  Big smile
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2017 at 12:20PM
Clap hmm video maybe?!!!!Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2017 at 12:38PM
Hook an engine hoist to the drivers side.
Put a block under the mount before you put your hands under there.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2017 at 6:37AM
Thanks for the tips...jacked and blocked....got the headers on. That was a pain...but was easier than aligning the bell housing!

The new headers are great....no more clearance problems and tucks the exhaust up nicely close to cross member; allowing to lower the car without scraping.

Edit: forgot to mention that there are tabs on the block on both sides where you can jack it.  I had to remove the oil filter to jack on the driver side block tab.  

Edited by BackInBlack - 03-September-2017 at 7:50AM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2017 at 7:27AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2017 at 8:27AM
i usually have the headers set in place before the engine lowers in Wink
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2017 at 10:38AM
I'll definitely do that when I rebuild the motor.   I have to do everything the hard way...its a family curse.  Lol.  I'm trying to build and assemble the major stuff before painting.   Exhaust with valence cutouts and AC condensor mods to the radiator support and body mods are next before painting.

I'm doing the motor last.   I'm doing things somewhat out of order due to lack of $$$.  I figure the motor will prolly cost $6k+.   Have to save up first.

-John
1973 GTS
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2017 at 1:22PM
I can't wait to hear what you think of the TKO, especially high rpm shifts. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2017 at 9:07AM
I hear its notchy like a truck.

Here is the Tremec in the car

Fits with no extra mods.  Although I had to get a new driveshaft.  The tailhousing is shorter than the old torino transmissions.

Here is a front shot with the new headers.   Clearance is much improved; ready to lower the car.

-John
1973 GTS
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2017 at 12:34PM
Looks awesome John.  Really nice work as always.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2017 at 4:17AM
Nice work! How is the shifter location for the console?
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2017 at 12:55PM
It actually fits as if it was designed to fit in the Torino.   Shifter is almost center in the floor shifter hole.  Its about 1/2 back.  Everything bolted up no problem.   Trans mount is a 1973 mustang trans mount which has slots to allow some variance front to back.   the only thing I had to change was the drive shaft; it was about 2.5" to short.   Went to a local shop that build driveshafts for commercial trucks (dump trucks etc).  The guy did a great job, perfect welds, spot on.   The new shaft is 3.5" diameter vs that tapered stock version still using 1330 u-joints. front and rear.

C6 front yoke (31spline) works for newer TKOs;  and you can get a 28 spline front yoke for the older Tremec no problem.

FYI.  Headers are from Ford Powertrain Applications.   He builds some really nice headers, very high quality.  They were expensive but he is the only guy building them to fit perfectly on 72+ Torinos.   I couldn't lower the car with the old headers.

For those interested:  Here is a comparison shot of the Hooker comp set (silver) vs the FPA headers

Edited by BackInBlack - 17-September-2017 at 1:04PM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2017 at 1:50PM
Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2017 at 2:21PM
X2. F.P.A....Best $$$ I spent. Bring on those speed bumps
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2017 at 1:38AM
Thumbs Up
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic