The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 GTS - Street/Track

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2012 at 12:29PM
Great work! What a beautiful dog and a spotless garage.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2012 at 1:35PM
Ive been working on the car slowly...

Installed a quick ratio saginaw gearbox, replaced the radiator bushings, and have been working on section/tuck the 73 front bumper.   
(See rack and pinion thread and gearbox thread for details)

I'm working on getting the bumper and body shims fitted to align everything.   I need to do some more modifications to the bumper bracket to raise the bumper a little.   After I section the bumper I plan to graft a 72 hood scoop onto the 73 hood.   

Cut the sliding "I" beam out and welded the bumper mounting plate to the housing.  this pulled it in close to 4".   I think 3 1/2 would have been perfect.  

Edited by BackInBlack - 01-August-2012 at 1:42PM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2012 at 1:56PM
Also...been looking into the wheels/tires decision

To all to who contributed to the tire/wheel thread.  Thanks.

Looks like I'm gonna settle on 
front: 17x8 with 4.5" BS  and run 275/40 series  (or 255/45)
rear: 17x10 with 6" BS and run (hopefully) 315/35 series (or 295/40)

Looks when trying to go 45 or 50 series it starts to get harder to get wider than 295 tires (not impossible).  I may shift my decision on the tires.   I can change my mind until its time to pull the trigger.

another good link...

Good bumper mod link...

The look I'm going for...

Edited by BackInBlack - 01-August-2012 at 2:02PM
-John
1973 GTS
SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2012 at 5:59PM
Great job! You really put your mind into things. Are you going to make the cuts to remove weight from the bumper support beam like in the article?
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport
http://public.fotki.com/Granaatu/
carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2012 at 6:24PM
Very nice car! Hope to see you at the Pavillions or Goodguys Scottsdale in November. Thats what i am shooting for with my project. You are near, I am in Chandler. Keep up the good work. Tongue
You have to build em to drive em!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2012 at 1:29AM
Yup...I plan on cutting some weight off the bumper.

I recently moved to VA so attending the Pavillions will be difficult...I miss the pavillions car show already.   Been trying to find similar cruise-in car shows here...without much success.

-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2014 at 11:49PM
Recent updates.   Been a while moving, but I'm getting settled.

I updated the rear suspension:
Installed Moog 8531 (i believe its the right pn) from 76 Torino constant rate 180 lb/in springs
Bilstein shocks
Tubular trialing arms with spherical links 

I tried poly bushings and boxed the lower arms.   This caused the suspension to bind under load.  The suspension geometry relies on rubber bushings to flex for it to work properly.   The lower arms are also design to twist under hard compression.    What I learned was that the rear suspension arms twist under compression.  Ford likes that squishy wagon suspension in sport cars.   Luckily Sphoon Perfmance realized this and makes the replacement parts to fix it.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1972-1976-Ford-Torino-Ranchero/Suspension/

I also learned to autocross coil-overs are really the way to go because you need to set the ride height and adjust to balance the weight of the car.   I'm calling the rear suspension done for now and will add a Panard bar next....    In the distant future I will change to coil-overs.   

Overall, I'm pleased...the rear suspension is firm and more precise.   The front now plows into the turns while the rear tries to hold the torino flat through the turn.   

The front I will put coil-overs in from the beginning.   Thats the next project.   

Edited by BackInBlack - 03-February-2016 at 10:01AM
-John
1973 GTS
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2014 at 2:02AM
Great info. What brand coil overs are you out going to use?
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2014 at 2:09AM
John, Good to see you back Brother.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2014 at 3:41AM
Thanks...nice to be back.  

Coilovers.   I'm thinking of going the QA coilovers with 550 lbs/in springs.   I'm thinking of also using a coleman racing front sway bar.   At least thats the thought process now.   I have to do some more research.   I'm open to any suggestions   :)
-John
-John
1973 GTS
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2014 at 6:52AM
Nice to see some progress!
Andrew
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2014 at 7:07PM
The QA1 coil overs you mentioned a while back are a crap design.
1. Side loading the shock
2. Undersized lower bushing

If you are going to go coil overs and race on them, be prepared to modify the lca and upper shock mount. According to my simulations those qa1s could punch right through the lca mount if the heaviest spring is used. Always run calcs to full bump.

So I also see I am turning out to be right about those rear arms.

You are working on a lot off cool stuff here John. I may even suggest getting those sticky tires and trying to dial in a nice front end setup before starting to modify too many components. There are a few books I'll find some links too sometime that may help you with it. Just suspension tuning alone is a fine art that only very gifted drivers and tuners can really grasp. There is always places to start though. For example, Toe is something super easy, Just minor changes will bring the car in and out radically different.

Keep up the tinkering and keep us posted. You have a very nice car, can't wait to see it rippin the track!

Edited by Billy C - 13-June-2014 at 7:11PM
-Billy Conturo
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2014 at 9:02AM
There is an easier way to section your front bumper than that article which what motivated me when I started my bumper project. Instead of the middle we sectioned it out in the area below the headlamps. And sectioned the ends as well. I have pictures posted on here and you can see where we cut and welded the bumper, also welded bolts on the back so you don't see them anymore!
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,SVT LIGHTNING,07 CHARGER R/T HEMI,97 Mustang GT Vert

"Never complain Never explain"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2016 at 8:57AM
Updates:   
Got some new shoes  Wink
18x8 4.5bs sporting Conti DW 245/45R18
18x9.5 5.25BS with Conti DW 285/40R18

Nice ot get rid of those hubcaps!
The wheels and Tires perfectly line up...exactly the same distance from tire to fender edge.

Been working on replacing Body bushings...thank guys on the bushing thread.  Huge help posting those bushing details.  Jacked up the body carefully on one side like a pivot.   Then scrape, wire brush, sand, scrape some more...and more and more.   Put Eastwood rust encapsulator inside the frame rails and outside then painted it with chassis paint.   I slowly work on one section at a time when I fix something; kinda like a patchwork quilt  LOL.

You can see the wood block jack posts I used ot hold up the body to work on frame.

After painting...

Will clean up the front clip when I pull it apart to powder coat the inner wheel wells and radiator support.  

Next step the suspension in the next post.
Revamping it all for some corner carving...hopefully

Edited by BackInBlack - 04-February-2016 at 9:45AM
-John
1973 GTS
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2016 at 12:10PM
Nice wheels, I kind of regret not getting those
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2016 at 2:00PM
agreed.. totally sick wheels man!

get some videos of it rippin!
-Billy Conturo
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2016 at 2:55PM
i don't recall seeing many white cars with the laser stripe, i like it! and those wheels are perfect on there!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2016 at 4:18PM
Thanks...now it has an Eaton Tru trac...leaves 2 nice lines on the pavement :-D

It originally had that disco gold. Previous owner had an Earl schibe white paint job done to it. I found the receipt for the paint job under the back seat. It was around $200...it's peeling off now.

Was thinking of painting it dark green...nothing flashy with some silver/gray stripe to match the gray wheels. I just can't find a good green that isn't that lime or pine color. I kinda like the new 2015 mustang green or maybe the 69 dodge green. Maybe next year...

https://www.google.com/search?q=69+coronet+dark+green&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=ismvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtkuuB5N_KAhXGox4KHSTPBeEQ_AUIBygB#imgrc=IgGokocOQT9NoM%3A

Edited by BackInBlack - 04-February-2016 at 4:29PM
-John
1973 GTS
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2016 at 5:24PM
Great work.  Those wheels look awesome! 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2016 at 6:04PM
there's a dark green ford color that i plan on painting my chev truck (one of these days) 1995? "deep jewel green metallic" or i saw a real dark green on a new late model ford truck (don't know what it's called) that looks almost black with a green pearl! Big smile Thumbs Up just a couple of thoughts...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic