The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 GTS - Street/Track

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2016 at 11:52AM
the shorter cables are roughly 21-22" overall length.  boots are an early style and later style.

Mike
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2016 at 12:09PM
Just paid Mr Cali Johnny to ship me a boot.  Hopefully that will work.  Haven't received it yet.   I still would like to get a throttle cable in case mine breaks since they are so hard to find.  

How do you get these parts?   I can't find them anywhere near me.  
-John
1973 GTS
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2016 at 1:39PM
I've collected them over the past 10+ years.
Mike
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2016 at 4:32PM
john, USPS estimated it should arrive on monday the 8th. i sent it "slow boat" i guess i should have asked if you needed it sooner Confused i figured cheaper shipping the better? oh  i started to remove the cable on that car for you then i remebered mike may have one for you and upon closer inspection that motor was a 400 not a clevelandEmbarrassed so i didn't know if that cable would be right?

mike, how many different cables are there for our cars and which ones fit which engines???( v-8's)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 5:21AM
In response to your question there are 4 

429/460 is 22 1/2"

302/3512bbl/400 are 21"

351 4bbl are same length 21" but have different part #

250 6cyl cars use 30 1/2 " 

Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,SVT LIGHTNING,07 CHARGER R/T HEMI,97 Mustang GT Vert

"Never complain Never explain"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 5:40AM
Ford actually put a 250 in-line six in these cars.   I had no idea.   Why?  Ford, roll eyes, does some really strange stuff sometimes.
-John
1973 GTS
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 6:18AM
Originally posted by BackInBlack BackInBlack wrote:

Ford actually put a 250 in-line six in these cars.   I had no idea.   Why?  Ford, roll eyes, does some really strange stuff sometimes.
Probably taxi cabs and for peeps that were scrimping for any sort of gas mileage! Who knows? Must have been real barn burners!!
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,SVT LIGHTNING,07 CHARGER R/T HEMI,97 Mustang GT Vert

"Never complain Never explain"
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 8:46AM
Originally posted by Torinogts73c Torinogts73c wrote:

Originally posted by BackInBlack BackInBlack wrote:

Probably taxi cabs and for peeps that were scrimping for any sort of gas mileage! Who knows? Must have been real barn burners!!
Because Ford had always had a six as base engine in the intermediates...
Even though the intermediate was now heavier than a mid-sixties fullsize (which had a 240 six as a base engine)
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 9:20AM
WONDERING IF THE DIFFERENT PART NUMBER FOR CLEVELAND 2V OR 4V IS DUE TO DIFFERENT POINT IN CABLE WHERE IT ATTAChES TO THE BRACKET ON THE INTAKE?  If the cable is same length, maybe its longer from the mount tab to the end where it attaches to carb or maybe longer from firewall mount to mounting tab?  something that would position the mount point further forward?  if you want, measure yours from both points.  firewall to mount tab and mount tab to end of cable.  don't forget to pop cable of carb first though so you get full extended length.  
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 10:15AM
Ok...will post and add to this posting
351C Throttle Cable 
total length=21"
carb end to manifold bracket flange = 8 3/8"
carb end of cable to the firewall flange = 18 1/2"
Accellerator pedal has a circular plastic clip that snap in pedal to hold cable in teh pedal assembly.
Looks just like the cable on the bottom with the blue clip for the pedal

In addition...Just got back my clutch/brake pedal setup from mustangsteve.com    He did a great job mounting a sealed bearing race in the pedal pivot and relocated my brake booster pin on the brake pedal from the manual postiion to power brake location on the brake pedal.   Looks like new.  

Edited by BackInBlack - 05-August-2016 at 10:31AM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2016 at 12:52PM
Got the steering column boot sorted and throttle cable.
Finished upgrading to 3G alternator and installed teh Mark8 2 speed fan.  Works perfectly and fits just right with a 351C.   Used the OEM mount locations using aluminum angle iron on top and bottom.   The fan is FOUR SEASONS 75627; basically a 2 speed mark8 fan that you can still easily order from Amazon or Rockauto.

Used the Hollister kit for 2 speed mark8 with AC.   Works perfectly and tested with the AC.  Its a quality kit; with suppression diodes for the fan relays.   When high speed kicks on it cools the engine down fast.   Low speed is quiet but when high kicks on you can hear it.  Very happy with it; works very well and fits perfectly. https://www.hollisterroad.com/proddetail.php?prod=TM8BA1820

Also, the kit has 2 sensor 185F and 200F for high speed.   I had no place to mount the sensors.  I found a water neck for Ford Custom500 which I think runs a 351M.  It had 2 bungs for 2 sensors right in the water neck.  FOUR SEASONS 84868

Clearance to water pump from fan:

3G alternator:

Showing stock mounting location for mark8 fan using angle brackets:

Water Neck:  

Showing where I chose to mount the Hollister kit relays (use braided wire cover and shrink tube for a clean install and when done will wrap complete engine harness for OEM look:

BTW for those interested this clips work great to replace the harness push in retainers.   Its a GM part and has provision for zip ties to hold it on harness if needed.

Edited by BackInBlack - 13-January-2017 at 6:28AM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2016 at 1:03PM
looks great! oh and nice work on the pedal assembly Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2017 at 6:38AM
Almost done with hydraulic clutch setup.  Will post when done.  Decided to replace OEM v-belt pulley setup with a serpentine setup from CVF racing.  Got tired of messing with fitting adapters and bracket modifications.   Was turning out like a patch work quilt to marry the old setup with newer hardware.   Pics to come.   Its been a painful slog but I'm almost ready to work the paint and body.

Oh...and a 5 speed Tremec install soon to happen in a month.

-John

Edited by BackInBlack - 13-January-2017 at 6:39AM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2017 at 8:04AM
cool can't wait! Big smile been pretty dead on here lately
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2017 at 8:13AM
Yeah...been to quiet on hte projects.   I've been crazy busy at work.  I'm driving the wife crazy with spending free time working on the car.   It will be pretty sweet setup when I'm done with it.   I put off doing the suspension and brakes till after paint is done.   Other guys at work convinced me to wait so I wont get paint overspray all over the new parts.
New plan:
Finish my serpentine belt, hydraulic clutch, hydroboost, 5 speed install...
Next paint/body
Then brakes suspension modifications
351C build will be last

-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2017 at 8:52AM
sounds like a solid plan to me, don't forget pics Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 8:32AM
Finally got the hydraulic master cylinder for the clutch mounted.  That was a real pain in the butt sorting out all the geometry.   The guys at ModernDriveline helped me get this sorted.   They intend to offer a kit for our era cars for the hydraulic clutch setup, a clutch pedal kit, and a bearing support for the pedals.  Getting ready to install the 5-speed Big smile

Also, I found some D0AE 1970 cleveland closed chamber heads.  Oh yeah...can't wait.  Unfortunately I have to many other things to finish before the motor.   I also found a Holley Strip Dominator intake to go with these heads.   

-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2017 at 8:59AM
Clap nice! Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2017 at 9:38AM
Just had a chance to see this John. Thanks for the info on the fan setup.

Andrew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2017 at 1:19PM
Your welcome....more to come on a serpentine belt setup, hydraulic clutch, hydroboost and a 5 speed install....Big smile
-John
1973 GTS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic