The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 GTS track build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2016 at 8:35AM
I'm gonna figure something out, but I can't really make it a project, I already got to pull the engine from the Land Rover I just bought, plus the wiring on the Torino has to get done first. I only pulled the bumper to remove the rubber trim lol
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2016 at 10:26AM
get a set of hole saws from harbor freight & go to town on the inner structure
72 GT Ute

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2016 at 1:29PM
Well, today was eventful, but the worse is for the Torino. The garbage truck went and hit the passenger front wheel, gouging the sh*t out of it, ripped the tire and dented the fender. It's pretty sad, as I have no video of it so no proof to fight the city. I guess you can only try so hard to keep things nice in a city.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure I will make the switch to EFI before the Moonshine festival.
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2016 at 3:20AM
Well, damages are worth than I thought. Somehow while the truck hit my car, twice as the marks show on the wheel, it damaged my gear box. Started the car and wheel jumped to the right, it would only e straight if I forced the steering wheel to stay straight. Drove it to work to fix it while burning fluid from the pump straight onto the exhaust. 2 miles left to go whe it just gave up after the hwy. It looks like the gear inside has a broken teeth or so as it will go in a spot where the steering is free and does nothing but spins, or then it will jam and no way to turn the wheels.

I have a Lares 841 on order, hopefully the steering will feel much tighter than before. So far, that small incident cost me almost $500, I wish I had a camera in the car to sue the city.

Edited by ilyes - 17-July-2016 at 3:22AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2016 at 5:04AM
tell me it ain't so, in the City of Brotherly Love

to bad you didn't think soon enough that the garbage truck probably has cameras on it
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2016 at 10:50AM
Curious. How did the garbage truck hit the right front wheel? Was the garbage truck on the sidewalk?
One way street with parking on both sides?
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2016 at 10:59AM
I parked down the street as I have yet to get a parking permit. Torino was on the left side against the sidewalk but wheel was turn to the right. Truck just went by and the side step caught the wheel and went through the tire then pulled the fender a bit.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2016 at 1:50PM
for those that don't know, Philly is possibly THE WORST bureaucratic quagmire
in the nation for a poor SOB just trying to park a car
http://www.philapark.org/

I can only imagine trying to park a car legally is like this
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2016 at 3:26PM
Too bad about the damage to your car.  Hopefully, your insurance will cover it, even if they don't find the culprit.  I know my policy cover's hit and runs with no suspects but I have to pay the deductible. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2016 at 4:14PM
You don't have a camera? To take pictures after the fact???
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1972 GTS "The Gray Ghost"
1967 Ford Fairlane 500

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2016 at 11:37PM
I don't have a recording while it happened.
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2016 at 2:30PM
I'm finishing up the wiring, and for the last couple days, the car is running rough. Kinda hard to troubleshoot but will get it resolve before the show. I decided to switch to EFI for better fuel control and MILEAGE. It's gonna be a 1400 miles + ride to the show, so anything over 10 mpg is gonna help.

californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2016 at 2:52PM
daaaammn that looks nice! Cool
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2016 at 2:56PM
there went the "budget build"  lol
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2016 at 3:05PM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

there went the "budget build"  lol
LOL yeah don't they all start out as a budget build then one thing leads to another...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2016 at 3:08PM
yup  lol
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2016 at 3:15PM
Very nice!  I am very interested in hearing how it performs and how the install goes.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2016 at 11:51PM
Install should be a walk in the park. It may run rough at first, unless the reason for the car missing is the current carb. I'll try to get it installed next week. The budget is definitely out the window.
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2016 at 9:19AM
Getting ready to potentially drive to the show means last minute thrash. I just threw on the front bumper, as I've been driving around without it and was gonna cut it up and make it nice first. Well, that didn't happened yet so I had to weld it on quick (still safely though) and not centered either LOL.

Car is running all right, the fitech throttle body works almost like a charm, I think it is fighting an internal vacuum leak. I hope to drive to the show but I have to double check the valve lash first. I heard a rocker tic last week and one exhaust valve was off  by 0.004 so I'm all paranoid as usual.
I also hit a speed bump and probably bent one of the header enough to make it leak.

Gotta go wire the turn signals real quick, I told you I'm just throwing stuff together just to drive it.

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2016 at 10:36AM
Looking good!
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>
  Share Topic