The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1974 Gran Torino Elite to replace my Montego

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 Gran Torino Elite to replace my Montego
    Posted: 01-March-2017 at 8:49AM
Here she is boys -n- girls, after grudgingly selling my 1976 Montego MX...I could not let go of the feel for the big Fords...so I picked this up today....she is in decent shape for the year and I have all the original documents going back to the first owner...She is tucked away in my garage and the quest continues un-abated...

1974 Gran Torino Elite...gotta love them big Fords...
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2017 at 5:25PM
wow nice looking car!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 12:48AM
Clean! Any major issues with it?
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1973 Gran Torino Sportsroof
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
2003 F-150 5.4
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 1:13AM
Very nice!  Coincidence, or do you like white interiors?!
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 5:47AM
White on White on White! She looks Beautiful! Clap
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Dennis 1948 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis 1948 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 9:21AM
Approve..........Super nice.

Torinos are very rare items down this way.               Enjoy
gentrysgarage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 9:48AM
REALLY NICE!!! Thumbs Up
twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 10:10AM
No major issues with the car....hell, even the 8-track works. Intermittent wipers are all cater-wonky, but from what I have read, need to take the control box out and clean it and clean/lube the arms. She needs both sides painted and the vinyl roof is crap, was thinking of stripping the vinyl and painting the roof gold metal flake. She just needs some love...been sitting at a local used car lot for two years....granted, the used car dealer did store it in the winter months...but she is a real barn find....26K original miles with all documents to prove....even has a sales brochure with a picture of the car in white with gold roof and accents.   

Took her for a spin and to it up to 60 on the highway, set the cruise and just floated along...felt great.

Edited by twintornados - 02-March-2017 at 10:22AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 10:11AM
White interior is just a coincidence.....

Edited by twintornados - 02-March-2017 at 10:12AM
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 12:29PM
You really need to get rid of that white interior and go with blue. I would be willing to swap Ha Ha I live in Ithaca.
mach1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mach1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 1:03PM
Great! Glad someone finally snatched that one up! I posed their C list ad for it on here a couple time! I'm in Utica and saw it in Rome every time I drove through. Can't believe it sat on the lot for so long! Good luck with it!
Mach1000
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 2:43PM
on your intermittent wipers... if you find out you need a control box i have one !! as long as your switch is good
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 4:06PM
Beautiful! Will be great on a hot day!Cool Reminds me of the '70's. Is this the low mileage one posted here recently? Glad you have her now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2017 at 11:03PM
Originally posted by mach1000 mach1000 wrote:

Great! Glad someone finally snatched that one up! I posed their C list ad for it on here a couple time! I'm in Utica and saw it in Rome every time I drove through. Can't believe it sat on the lot for so long! Good luck with it!

Yeah, I was watching her for two years....I am from Rome. I did some arm wrestling with the used car dealer and got her for a lot less than what he was asking for it. Cash is king!!
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2017 at 2:10PM
Nice clean looking Elite.  Looks like a good buy.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2017 at 1:59PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

on your intermittent wipers... if you find out you need a control box i have one !! as long as your switch is good

I am fiddling around with her today, took the switch out to check it...didn't realize it was a three position switch (off, low, high) plus the rheostat for the intermittent feature...will clean it up as best I can and put her in next time I am off...
NorthElite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2017 at 6:13AM
Awesome car Clap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2017 at 1:07AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

I took the switch out but did not take it apart. The "auto return" when you turn the wipers off works only when the wipers are in the lower position on the windshield...I am assuming that it is the control box but cannot seem to locate it. The intermittent feature still is erratic. I also notice that the wiper transmission arms under the cowl seem "loosey-goosey" so I will fiddle around with them when the weather breaks for good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2017 at 1:43PM
Today, I got under the dash to pull the blower out for the HVAC system...oh, man I remember the contortionist you needed to be to work under the dash....but, got it out and if was packed up pretty good with mouse bedding. Cleaned it all out (shop vac'ed put the A/C box as well) and the motor seemed to turn ok and hooked it up to a battery charger and she spun up well, but I am not going to chance it, I ordered a new fan and blower cage from Rock Auto. Be here in a few days. Next appointment will be for the NYS safety inspection on Friday...I am confident she'll pass with flying colors.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2017 at 8:49AM
Ugh....gonna need some "silver solder seal" for the cooling system.....heater core has a minor leak.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic