The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1974 Gran Torino Elite to replace my Montego

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2017 at 2:29AM
Mine are intact, but are crumbling where every time you touch it, some of the plastic crumbles off...I was thinking about taking them off and just dipping them in white plasti-dip if all else fails.
1974 Gran Torino Elite...gotta love them big Fords...
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2017 at 5:44AM
Fox body Mustangs use a hook for the same purpose. I wonder if they are similar to yours? They would be easy to get.
twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2017 at 2:28PM
Found a stock picture on line since every picture of my Elite doesn't have a shot of the seatbelt hook...here is what I am looking for, in white of course...

M Casey Stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2017 at 12:50AM
Yeah, Looked high and low for some of those. Never found a supplier for new ones and never any on Ebay. Saw a few from other models that looked like they might work okay. Finally had one of the guys on the FB Torino site, that has a nice supply of vintage car bone yards, to come up with some used ones that were better than mine. Of course they are so hard to come by that getting any in the same color of the car is a hard task, and getting some with the little covers that go over the attaching bolts is even harder. The ones he found were green and still had the covers. They were faded and starting to chalk on the tops, so I painted them with some plastic paint from WalMart and installed them on the oposite sides as they were on, which put the damaged side facing down and hardly noticeable. Turned out good. I was really fortunate to find a color match on the paint for my interior plastic parts, Walmart has a nice supply, but you having white should make it a little easier.

1975 Gran Torino, Copperhead

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/75-gran-torino-soft-restoration-copper-head_topic15137_post169060.html?KW=#169060

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2017 at 12:54PM
Some pics from my bodyshop guy....overall, she is in great shape, all things considered....the roof was in much better shape that I had feared...the small pieces of tape is my body guy marking what he calls "whiskey dents"....lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2017 at 1:21PM
Here she is, all painted 9A Wimbledon White with three coats of clear...vinyl top goes on Monday or Tuesday...

Edited by twintornados - 13-July-2017 at 1:22PM
gentrysgarage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gentrysgarage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2017 at 1:42PM
Sweeeeet!Thumbs Up
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2017 at 4:04PM
Looks great!  Has anyone ever removed a vinyl top and not found rust?  Seems the factory never finished the metal very well under any of them, regardless of the make of car.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2017 at 4:52PM
yes i have once! my monza was painted under the vinyl top, off it came! opera windows welded up Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2017 at 2:46AM
She is gonna look brand new....Nice!!!!!! Clap
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2017 at 1:25PM
More pictures as she goes back together...

Edited by twintornados - 20-July-2017 at 1:01AM
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2017 at 4:26PM
Nice!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2017 at 6:59AM
She is pretty much all done....got 'er out of the paint shop today. Last item installed was the replacement wiper linkage / transmission and once that was in, the intermittent feature works as it should...I am a happy guy!!

n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2017 at 8:18AM
Looks awesome!
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2017 at 5:12AM
Got the pinstripe put back on - hand painted as was original. The fellas at Design Brilliance and DOA Flatliners did a hellava job....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic