The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Cougar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1975 Cougar
    Posted: 27-March-2016 at 6:53AM
Figured I would start a build/resto thread for the 75 XR7. This car is pretty original, and I want to keep it close to that. The odometer says 51k, but I have not been able to verify if that's 51k or 151k. I have receipts from a prior owner from 1993 that are only 10k ago, so it very well could be 51k.

This car has an 84 DSO, which means it was a corporate Dearborn car. That means it could have been anything from a corporate employee car, to an advertising or promo car.

But unfortunately, the car also has lived it's entire life in Michigan as well. So while it looks nice from 20ft, it's got it's share of rust. Mostly peeking out from behind all the body trim. It's pretty solid though, but I don't think it's worth a high dollar resto. The plan for now, is to just clean everything up nice, make the car mechanically sound, and just enjoy driving it :).

Here is the car as I bought it...

One of the best things about the car, is the immaculate interior!

Here is the Marti Report...

Edited by Power Surge - 26-April-2016 at 1:52PM
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2016 at 7:14AM
Via receipts in the glove box, and the magic of facebook, I was able to track down the son of one of the prior owners. He had this pic of the car with his dad from the early 90s!

It was in quite a bit better shape back then....

The first thing I did, was completely wheel out the paint. It looks like the right front fender and header panel have been painted, so they are a tad lighter. Then I painted the lower rocker trim with a satin finish black paint. This both hides the rust a bit, and also doesn't make the car look so "tall". I also took off the mudflaps, and since the front bumper mounts were just about rotted off, I pulled the front bumper.

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2016 at 7:19AM
being that the interior and most is in such good shape, you wouldn't need to do a high dollar restro, just pull all the trim and get the rust removed/repaired and repaint Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2016 at 7:26AM
The car still had everything original under the hood. Original belts, hoses, clamps, heater hoses, vacuum hoses...pretty much everything. However, being 40 years old, all that stuff was in dire need of replacement. I want to keep the underhood correct to original, so I have obtained correct replacement parts. Original style heater hoses with molded ribs and paint stripe. Original wire clamps for the rad hoses, and T clamps for all the heater hoses. NOS cap/rotor/plus wires. And lots of NOS small parts.

Now, I wasn't planning to go this nuts with underhood detail, but the water pump was bad and once I had that off, I just couldn't leave all the nasty old rusty and grungy brackets and engine parts like they were. So right now, the plan is to repaint the motor, valve covers, and air cleaner Ford blue, with proper reproduction decals. Glass bead all the brackets and pulleys and repaint. Rebuild the factory carb. Replace all the rubber hoses and belts. Replace the gas tank, sender, and straps.

Basically, I want the motor to be both mechanically sound, and look correct to original. Everything is apart and in the process of refinishing. I will post pics as it goes back together.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2016 at 9:16AM
Love the old picture!
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2016 at 1:19PM
Great looking Cougar.  Great find, finding one of the previous owners on FB.  That's a neat old pic they were able to send.  Great start.  Looking forward to your progress.
Jeff

76 Mercury Montego MX Villager w/ 460
79 Ford Thunderbird w/ T-tops
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2016 at 3:24PM
LOVE IT!!
Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2016 at 12:09AM
Looking great!
JT, USAF Ret.
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
1986 Chevy Silverado "Sally"
2013 Chevy Silverado "Blackie"
2014 GMC Sierra
2006 Victory Hammer "Big Red"
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2016 at 5:41AM
Sal, post a picture of the speedo/odo from straight on.
that will show/tell us if the mileage is original or rolled over.
Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2016 at 2:13PM
Ok, I'll get this rolling. First up, is the alternator. Now, I could have just bought one, or a could have just left mine alone, lol. But it is the original, D5 part numbered alternator, and like everything else in the engine bay, it was nasty. So I couldn't leave well enough alone, and I had to restore it....

This thing was freakin nasty. It was so rusted up, that I literally had to cut the pulley off. I tried heat, pullers, air hammer....nothing was getting it off and by then it was destroyed from trying. Then of course the three case bolts all snapped. Then I had to press the armature out of the front bearing. And of course the three front bearing plate bolts snapped. I was able to drill and tap them all out....and of course (see the pattern here?) on the last one the tap snapped off in the case. So yeah....lots of fun.

Got it all apart...

Cleaned the armature up all nice on the lathe....

Full rebuild kit...

Up next will be glass bead the cases, spray with Eastwood Aluma-blast, and the assembly.

Edited by Power Surge - 29-March-2016 at 2:14PM
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2016 at 2:24PM
nice work!
used to spend the time rebuilding alt and starters.
It is a lost art!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2016 at 12:54PM
Got the bead baster setup tonight and did a few parts. Works good but I definitely could use a little bigger compressor now lol.

Edited by Power Surge - 30-March-2016 at 1:00PM
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
mach1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mach1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2016 at 2:40PM
Lower blacked out looks great. Are you planning on chopping up the front bumper and tucking it? Or have something else in mind?
Mach1000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2016 at 2:50PM
Originally posted by mach1000 mach1000 wrote:

Lower blacked out looks great. Are you planning on chopping up the front bumper and tucking it? Or have something else in mind?

You know, originally I was going to chop and tuck the front bumper and do a rear roll pan instead of bumper. I also originally was going to do a supercharged 5.4 motor too. But I kinda want to keep this car mostly original. So it's more of a light resto now.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
mach1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mach1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2016 at 12:50AM
I hear ya. However I think with some chopping cutting and tucking on the front and rear bumpers this (and many other 70s cars) looks really improve significantly. Just removing the front bumper, although unfinished, really makes the car look much leaner. 
I wonder if/how a 72 Montego front bumper and lower valance would work/look with some modifications. 

Edited by mach1000 - 31-March-2016 at 12:51AM
Mach1000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2016 at 11:42AM
Here is the finished restored and rebuilt original alternator, along with a pic of the first batch of other restored parts...

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2016 at 3:49PM
Here's a little sneak peek at how the engine restoration detail is coming....

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2016 at 4:10PM
looks great!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
legend onirot View Drop Down
METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2016 at 9:02AM
yes, awesome looking

---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2016 at 1:31PM
That is such a great looking car. Keep up the good work!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic