The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Cougar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2016 at 4:52PM
Hmm....trying to post new pics but keep getting this error...

Error Only members with sufficient permission can access this page.

A security error has occurred with authentication.

Please ensure that all cookies are enabled on your web browser, you are not using a saved or cached copy of the page, and your Firewall/Proxy settings are not hiding or masking your IP address.

Edited by Power Surge - 25-April-2016 at 4:54PM
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2016 at 5:18PM
Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

Hmm....trying to post new pics but keep getting this error...

Error Only members with sufficient permission can access this page.

A security error has occurred with authentication.

Please ensure that all cookies are enabled on your web browser, you are not using a saved or cached copy of the page, and your Firewall/Proxy settings are not hiding or masking your IP address.
are you using photobucket? seems like it may be having issues tonight???i'm seeing no photobucket posted pics on my end that were there earlier! IDK WTF?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2016 at 11:30AM
Ok, let's try this again, lol.

Still have to do the air cleaner, but wanted to post some new pics....

I did some before and after comparisons too.

Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2016 at 12:03PM
Beautiful job! Really like how you did the side by side in the same location.
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2016 at 12:42PM
I really can't see much difference......Ermm....oh no....wait....what I meant to say was.... WOW!!! Awesome job!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2016 at 3:09PM
very well done!!!ClapClapClap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2016 at 3:29PM
That is amazing.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

mach1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mach1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2016 at 11:23PM
Nice! What paint did you use for the engine? 
Mach1000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2016 at 12:21PM
Originally posted by mach1000 mach1000 wrote:

Nice! What paint did you use for the engine? 

The blue is Duplicolor "Old Ford Blue". Other painted parts are all done with Eastwood products.
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2016 at 10:13AM
Pro restoration tip.... if you think you might need 3 cans of color instead of 2, buy all three. I ran out of blue engine paint about 80% through the air cleaner. Went and bought a third can. Different lot number than the other two cans. Not even close in color! Had to drive around two looking for a matching lot number, and luckily found one.

Air cleaner still in the works, but I tackled the gas tank today. Pulled the old crusty one out. Strap bolts frozen so had to cut the straps off.

Going back in, is a Spectra repro gas tank, new straps, new strap bolts, new stainless sender, and new tank fill grommet.

The Spectra gas tank is pretty nice. Only difference I see is that it doesn't have the vent line coming out of it that goes into the fill tube. The stainless sender is very nice quality. I did have to tweak the angle slightly because it was hitting the tank bottom before it was sitting flat in the tank hole. I also painted the tank with Rustoleum "Weathered Steel". It's a neat affect, that looks like old steel. But it sprays out very thick and didn't stick too well even though I prepped the tank pretty good. I don't expect it to hold up, but that okay because Spectra finished their tanks with a special coating to resist the elements.

Got her back up and running.....and then one of the rusted trans lines sprung a leak. Weeeeee.... lol

Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2016 at 10:17AM
Nice work on the engine!

Perhaps I've missed something. Why does the new tank not look like the old tank?
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2016 at 10:18AM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

Nice work on the engine!

Perhaps I've missed something. Why does the new tank not look like the old tank?

Because the new tank is upside down, lol.
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2016 at 12:04PM
Took a quick look and thought you got a 77-79 side fill tank too. Then I saw the Q&A about it being upside down.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2016 at 12:12PM
Got some good work done today. Did a quick driveway repair to the leaking trans line, then got her fired back up and drove her 30 miles to work (I'm an auto master tech). This was only the second time driving the car, and the first drive of any substantial miles.

She made it there, and back....although not without some hiccups. The brake pedal kept dropping out on me intermittantly, like it's internally bypassing. So going to have to get a new master.

Had a bit of a vibration around 60-65 mph. Thought it might be a poorly balanced wheel (the tires were just put on before I bought it), but after getting it up on the lift I found it needs a front U-joint. So will have to replace the U-joints.

This was also the first time I've seen the underside of the car. Pretty much what I expected from a Michigan car, not horrible though. There was nothing really major, just everything under there has 40 years of surface rust.

I was able to torch off the rusted up front bumper mounts bolts finally, and get the old rotted bumper mounts off. Got a nice used pair waiting here to reattach the front bumper back on soon.

Also bent up some new trans lines, since the old ones were busting through.

Took off the trailer hitch too. Man, for a little compact part, that thing was on there!

I was happy to see all the gauge readings good too. No overheating, good oil pressure (got a fresh oil change today also with Amsoil), and the charging system working which is nice since I rebuilt the entire alternator myself. I do need to go over the carb settings though, as she didn't want to stay running too well idle.

Also put in my new floor mats. The Cougar gets the chushy high pile carpet and I don't want to wear it out, so I got a nice set of embroidered Cougar floor mats from Lloyd's Mats. Not cheap, but really nice quality...

Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2016 at 12:58PM
all minor things but sometimes it's good to find them one at a time and fix them right away, soon you'll have a good solid dependable car! Wink mats look great!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2016 at 1:37PM
Love the mats! Have a set for my rancheros and they really dress up the inside. Really enjoy seeing the progress on this car great job!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2016 at 1:49PM
Originally posted by Dan the ranchero man Dan the ranchero man wrote:

Love the mats! Have a set for my rancheros and they really dress up the inside. Really enjoy seeing the progress on this car great job!

Thanks Dan :)  I have had a rough past few years, and I needed a project to give me some enjoyment again. This car is no show car, and is far from perfect, but it's something I can take my time and tinker on :)
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2016 at 5:36AM
Here is the trunk area. I have done NO restoration here. All I did was vacuum it and wipe down the jambs with some purple power. Not too bad! I need to come up with a way to reshape the sagging cardboard quarter panel shields.

The original spare and all jacking parts are there too. The steel spare is pretty badly rusted, so I might try to find another nice original replacement rim. Once neat feature of this car, is that it was ordered with the "security lock package". From what I can tell, that gives you a locking hood latch, and locking spare hold down nut....both of which this car has. And both locks are keyed to the round trunk/glovebox key.

Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2016 at 5:41AM
that's cool, i've never seen the locking spare! BTW that jack sticker is available repop if you want.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2016 at 10:44AM
Well the spare wasn't as bad as I thought. I gave it a good workout with a stiff wire brush, and it took just about all the rust off. Then refinished it with some semi gloss back, and it's ready for trunk duty again :)

Edited by Power Surge - 08-May-2016 at 10:44AM
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic