The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Cougar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 1:28PM
looks good! i didn't realize the first pics were "before" i was thinking damn you better give it another coat EmbarrassedLOL BTW you can get the rubber shifter seal and pointer too if you need it! i think i got mine from mustangs unlimited IIRC
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 2:10PM
Thanks guys Big smile
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 2:36PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

looks good! i didn't realize the first pics were "before" i was thinking damn you better give it another coat EmbarrassedLOL BTW you can get the rubber shifter seal and pointer too if you need it! i think i got mine from mustangs unlimited IIRC

What did you use? The 69-73 part? I don't see anything else. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2016 at 3:39PM
yes (but my shifter was an ebay special $35) but i believe most of those shifters are the same just look different in appearance 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2016 at 12:36PM
Some decent new progress on the ole Cougar. 

I refinished the pass side inner fender, cleaned up all the wiring, and installed an NOS 70s motorcraft battery, along with reproduction correct battery cables.

Before:

After:

Now I bet you're asking... "how the heck did you get a 40 year old battery to work??".  I'll tell you how ;)

I have done this before on show cars I had. First you find an NOS battery, which is just about impossible nowadays. I actually couldn't find one online. One of my long time Mustang II friends had one, and he was willing to sell it to me because I have hooked him up with NOS parts in the past. 

So here's the battery...

Now...you need to gut it from the underside. This is no easy task. It took weeks to do. 

Then you tap the underside of the terminals in the case, and attach short cables. 

Then you attach the cables to an appropriate power mini battery. 

After it's all stuffed up into the case, a little dense styrofoam to keep it all in place.

And then you install it in the tray, and hook your battery cables up to the empty case, because they are now live. And viola! Functional NOS correct battery Big smile
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2016 at 12:58PM
That is brilliant!  My buddy was getting his hands on a interstate and would paint the battery top orange and the white bottom was there. his looked pretty good as well. But I like what you did very cool stuff.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2016 at 1:02PM
I thought you got one of those repop covers. I saw them online somewhere
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2016 at 10:14AM
That's one of the tricks they use on the cars in the F.A.S.T. racing.  Removes weight off the front end.
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2017 at 3:10PM
Put some new wheels on the Cougar today. I had originally put 15x8 Wheel Vintiques chromed steel magnums on there. But I decided to take them off and put on some Legendary Wheels machined aluminum Magnums instead. I had to get a little creative with the center cap mounting, as the backing plates aren't the same for the steel vs alloy wheels. 

Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2017 at 3:15PM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2017 at 1:32AM
Those are really sharp. What made you decide to go with an alloy vs the steel wheel? If you don't mind me asking what is the price difference? I know what the steel wheels cost it's the alloy. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2017 at 3:17AM
Originally posted by Dan the ranchero man Dan the ranchero man wrote:

Those are really sharp. What made you decide to go with an alloy vs the steel wheel? If you don't mind me asking what is the price difference? I know what the steel wheels cost it's the alloy. 

I was torn between the two originally. I thought the steel looked more original, plus the alloys weren't in stock at the time. I also had a highway vibration I've been chasing, and wasn't sure if it as an out of round wheel or not and figured the machined wheels would be more precise (wasn't the wheels though). There's only about a $20 per wheel difference. 

One thing to keep in mind with either set.... they don't allow a front center cap to bolt on. The spindle dust cover sticks through the wheel center too far. I had to shave the end of the spindles down almost to the cotter pin hole, and then flatten the dust cap. I've seen others run the steel magnums on these cars with no mention of this, so not sure if they are using a taller center cap or what the deal is with them fitting.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
mach1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mach1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2017 at 5:06AM
What was the weight difference between the two rims? Any idea?
Mach1000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2017 at 5:08AM
Originally posted by mach1000 mach1000 wrote:

What was the weight difference between the two rims? Any idea?

I didn't measure, but the alloys were noticeably lighter. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2017 at 5:12AM
Hmmm. When I installed the chrome Magnums, the center caps that came with them (Mustang emblems, unfortunately ) fit with no problems.Wonder why the big difference.   
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1973 Gran Torino Sportsroof
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
2003 F-150 5.4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2017 at 5:15AM
Originally posted by changinlatitudes changinlatitudes wrote:

Hmmm. When I installed the chrome Magnums, the center caps that came with them (Mustang emblems, unfortunately ) fit with no problems.Wonder why the big difference.   

I used the Scott Drake center caps because I wanted the Cougar emblems. I think the standard Ford center caps are taller and clip on? If it's a screw on backing plate style, no way they will fit the fronts.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2017 at 5:44AM
lookin sharp!!!!
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic