The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1976 Montego MX going in...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 Montego MX going in...
    Posted: 06-December-2009 at 1:50AM
I am so excited, my resto guys picked her up last night after a 6 week delay....I will get over to the shop this week to snap what will be many photos of her. Clap
1974 Gran Torino Elite...gotta love them big Fords...
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2009 at 2:09AM
WAY TO GO!!!

Hope it goes well!

let's see some pics of it now.
I must have missed a post with current pics of it?

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
1975MontegoMX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1975MontegoMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2009 at 2:27AM
Cool! Another 74-76 Montego Owner on here, i'll be interested to see pics and stuff.

George
1975 Mercury Montego MX /351 M/
1986 Ford Crown Victoria /302/"5.0"
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2009 at 6:46AM
hope you picked a good shop and get everything in writing.Don't want to hear the bodyshop horror stories later,
How many months did they estimate for what your having done?

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 06-December-2009 at 8:28AM
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2009 at 8:23AM
Congrats!  Don't forget:  Pics, Pics, Pics!!!
Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2009 at 8:26AM
yah good luck and get lots of photos
twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2009 at 9:24AM
Originally posted by 73 ProStreetTorino 73 ProStreetTorino wrote:

hope you picked a good shop and get everything in writing.Don't want to hear the bodyshop horror stories later,
How many months did they estimate for what your having done?

Quote in writing and I have seen the work they do....and I have a long time buddy that has his 1972 Mustang convertible in there now just finishing up. Looks great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2009 at 9:40AM
Some pics of when I got it...
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2009 at 9:55AM

Dude , Ahh  sir,  looks like an easy fix ,white interior , blue dash ,  nice turbine wheel covers vinyl half roof , just smoothin it up ? whats under that hood?

albos74gts
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2009 at 11:35AM

wow that's the car your having restored,don't look like it needs much restoring maybe just a fresh paintjob, heck I wish all the cars I use to restore were that nice,I restored alot of cars and some were real rust buckets and had to fabricate alot of patches as there were no patch panels  for that area and well getting a used piece wasn't  easy as most of the cars rotted in the same areas or you couldn't afford to have someone cut up a good car. It don't look like your car needs much patching.That is a nice project to start with should be an easy no hassle  job from the looks of it.

keep us posted on the progress,
btw what is your job entaling? like how far are they taking it? 

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 06-December-2009 at 11:39AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2009 at 4:11PM
Well....it was a "barn find" as in she sat in a barn for 20+ years. Used car dealer picked it up in Vermont....had it on EBay, no bites...I called the minute the auction closed....she needs some minor floor pan work and some small holes in the rear quarters. The elderly gentleman who put it in storage put one of those tubs of odor control gel under the front seat and the seat frame was toast. I have a replacement front bench now. 351 Windsor runs like a champ. 68K original miles...needs a new top, some trim work, and the aforementioned panel work. I am going to remove the stock 14" bias belted tires that are on it. (Took it for a quick spin around the block....yikes!! handled like the Queen Elizabeth II at low tide.) I want to go with stock 16" double diamond Lincoln Town Car rims and P225/60R-16 Michelins with the narrow white stripe. Other than that and a nice "hidden" stereo from Dearborn Classics....I am going to really enjoy this ride....going with the stock color in a base coat / clear coat, and a new vinyl half roof.
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2009 at 12:29AM
 Handles like the queen, You know your are driving a class A cruiser that was built for comfort and style when your in that thing . Snappy preformance and economy not so much , we just don't need it!  ( If you do I supose you could get  a cobra  , next time,  Yes 1965 cobra )  you  knew that .  save the original  Tires wheels and covers. just changing them will make a world of difference in the float factor, but you want them in the garage. Don't you love looking out over that long hood !

Edited by albo74 - 07-December-2009 at 12:34AM
albos74gts
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2009 at 3:37AM
I wish I had a "restore guy" Sometimes, lol.

Enjoy the car.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2009 at 3:56AM
And as much as I like the pillowy ride of the 14s, it's just not easy to find 14" tires that have enough sidewall strength to carry around 4400lbs of my car, me, my wife, and my tools and such. I'm not shelling out money for Cokers or Radial T/A's and I don't like whitewalls or white letters anyway.

225/60R16 is pretty darn close to the stock HR78-14 diameter-wise and width-wise. And the 16" wheels will look good with tower-style center caps (Type 146 I think they call them) and 94-01 Dodge pickup rally trim rings (they go a little deeper than most and don't have a ridge).

Here's what they looked like on my favorite taxi...'98 CVPI named Theresa:

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2009 at 4:04AM

Alan, you coud always mount the BFGs with the white letters facing in.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2009 at 9:01AM
I definitely will save the 14" rims and caps...but the 16" will give me a more modern look and have the Lincoln logo in the centers to boot. I just cant see dropping that kind of coin on Cokers, and while Firestone and BF Goodrich both have a "close" size in 14", I like the idea of being able to pick out almost any type in a 16" size...I like the narrow white stripe on the Michelins...but may just go to black walls since I cant see having raised white letters on a "near luxury" coupe....but thats just me..
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2009 at 10:29AM
Originally posted by twintornados twintornados wrote:

Some pics of when I got it...

That is a gorgeous car! Definitely a good one to save. I love the '74-'76 Montegos. Nice colour combo, too!

Are those its original wheel covers? They're the same as the '74-'76 Torino sport/SVP wheel covers, right? Same as what my dad had on his '76 SVP. They're not common to see nowadays but very stylish!
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2009 at 3:11PM
They are the OE covers...I will save them, but I am going with 16" Lincoln rims for a modern touch while paying homage to the "Lincoln connection" that Mercury had during that era...my Montego has a Lincoln style hood ornament, and the nose badge says "Lincoln Mercury Division"...the Lincoln emblems in the centercaps will "go" nicely with the rest of the car...and Michelin narrow stripe white walls as well.....P225/60R16.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2009 at 3:16PM
Picture of the hood, stripped....the guys are amazed at the quality of the metal, no major imperfections, the only small problem area is on the passenger side front corner, looks like someone sat a battery on the hood and some acid damaged the paint and area was "spotted and repaired"...small spot of filler....other than that...the hood is straight and clean...looks like an aircraft carrier deck...LOL
1974xr7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974xr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2009 at 11:28PM
Looks like you are going to have one sharp ride, especially if the rest is as nice as that hood.I like your choice of wheels but I couldn't resist putting on a set of Wheel Replicas 17" Magnum 500's if it were mine. Keep us posted with more pics, I'm happy for ya!
Always looking for 1974 Q codes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic