The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1976 Montego MX going in...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2010 at 2:55PM
Gotta love it when things go well! Clap
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Panel Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2010 at 4:03PM
Update time....my resto guy has the floor pans all done, has the car stripped down, the door bottoms are cleaned up and he is working on cleaning up the rear quarter panels....I have all new suspension pieces and brake components ready to go and I just picked up the rims...here is a quick cell phone shot of one of 'em....16X7 from a 1997-2002 Crown Victoria / Grand Marquis "Sport" model...
1974 Gran Torino Elite...gotta love them big Fords...
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2010 at 4:37PM
Nice choice! The handling package wheels are sharp-looking. Are you still planning on whitewalls with the car?

Good to hear the car's coming along; you don't see many '74-'76 Montegos anymore (certainly not as many as Torinos of the same vintage), so I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result!
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2010 at 10:39PM
Originally posted by Turbo301 Turbo301 wrote:

Nice choice! The handling package wheels are sharp-looking. Are you still planning on whitewalls with the car?

Good to hear the car's coming along; you don't see many '74-'76 Montegos anymore (certainly not as many as Torinos of the same vintage), so I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result!

Yes...Whitewalls are still planned, Cooper has a whitewall P225/60R-16 that is my leading choice right now.

To complement these rims, I am scouring EBay for some center caps from a Lincoln so I can get the crosshairs " [+] " emblem to match the hood ornament, but if I cannot find them, I will go with a Mercury waterfall "///" version..

I originally wanted a Torino, but I am really liking the exclusiveness of owning the Montego instead....it is going to be a fun car when I am done....

Edited by twintornados - 27-February-2010 at 10:41PM
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2010 at 2:52AM
Get the thicker sway bars found on 77 to 79 t birds and cougars . You can also use the saginaw steering box off a boss 351and 351cj mustangs and some other ford car did receive them also. It has 3 turns rather than the 4 turns .Its really is worth it. The steering is more quick, for shocks many torino guys like the bilstein cvpi shocks. I don't have the steering box tag number to give at this moment. It just something to look into while the car is being restored. By the way it is nice to see t montegos . I just can't remember if the montego gt hood would fit on your car. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2010 at 8:49AM
Originally posted by interceptor460 interceptor460 wrote:

.... By the way it is nice to see t montegos . I just can't remember if the montego gt hood would fit on your car. 

Thanks for all the ideas...I don't believe the Montego GT hood will fit....center raised section is a different width...I mean, I can always pull a "Uante" and just make one...but I am not after that look for my Montego....his looks great...I am happy with how my hood looks as is....
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2010 at 12:52PM
I like montegos I lost out twice on a 72 two door and later on a 1972 wagon . The owners new me but sold them to their neighbours who drove them to the ground. Its rotten luck I guess.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2010 at 4:28AM
Originally posted by twintornados twintornados wrote:

To complement these rims, I am scouring EBay for some center caps from a Lincoln so I can get the crosshairs " [+] " emblem to match the hood ornament, but if I cannot find them, I will go with a Mercury waterfall "///" version..

I originally wanted a Torino, but I am really liking the exclusiveness of owning the Montego instead....it is going to be a fun car when I am done....

Why not get whatever center caps you can.. and get mercury center cap emblems. They are all over ebay. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
legend onirot View Drop Down
METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2010 at 8:51AM
Seriously?  seriously?  $6,000-8,000?  you make me sick.

does that include the engine work? 

i pulled my engine and transmission and have started working on my 73 GTS.  i figured i could ask around to see if any body shops would be interested in doing the underside cleaning up, paint the engine compartment... etc...  one shop was interested and he quoted me a price of $25,000!  and my car is in pretty good shape.  just cleaning up and a couple of quarter panel patch pieces...

congrats (you really dont make me sick, im happy for you),  wish we had some shops in this area that was interested and reasonable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2010 at 12:50PM
Originally posted by legend onirot legend onirot wrote:

Seriously?  seriously?  $6,000-8,000?  you make me sick.

does that include the engine work? 

i pulled my engine and transmission and have started working on my 73 GTS.  i figured i could ask around to see if any body shops would be interested in doing the underside cleaning up, paint the engine compartment... etc...  one shop was interested and he quoted me a price of $25,000!  and my car is in pretty good shape.  just cleaning up and a couple of quarter panel patch pieces...

congrats (you really dont make me sick, im happy for you),  wish we had some shops in this area that was interested and reasonable

Not much in the way of engine work since she runs like a top...no rattles, no smoke, no ticks...just gonna dress the engine up a bit and slide it right back in...do a trans filter service while it is there just for good measure...I did get some "out of this world" prices, but I have seen this guys work and he does an awesome job...he re-did a Mustang convertible for my buddy....phenomenal!!

Edited by twintornados - 01-March-2010 at 12:54PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2010 at 9:34AM
Update: doors, fenders, floor pans repaired and primered, all suspension pieces blasted and refinished, gas tank is cleaned and ready to go back in, rear differential is cleaned and repainted and ready to re-install. I got some Grand Marquis center caps for my rims, popped out the "flying M" centers and replaced them with 2" convex mirrors like you find in auto parts stores for truck side mirrors, the look is out of this world ( will get some pix up soon) removed the seat fabric from the frame as I found a replacement bench in prime shape, so I will have the blue torn vinyl replaced with mine.

Also got my Marti report and replacement data tag....a worthy investment and the tag looks just like the O.E. one. Tracked down the car to its original dealer and they are still open, so I have a request in to the Wisconsin DMV to retrieve the original owners name so I can gather info from Garbo Motors in Racine. planning on paint in May.
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2010 at 1:55PM
Blind spot mirrors for center caps.

And people think the things I do to cars are crazy.

*I LOVE IT*

And will keep that in mind if I come across some nice CV/GM wheels with thick tires on them for a good price. Four of those mirror things would barely cost $10.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2010 at 3:28PM
Picked mine up at Fisher Auto Parts for .99 cents each....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2010 at 2:17PM
Montego MX pics

Just a few pics from a few months ago from my resto guy....went and looked at it today....work continuing on the quarterpanels. He showed me a quart of the color.....going with a Pearl Shadow Blue...deep dark blue color just like OE...but it has more "POP"....

Here is the color on a VW Shirocco

occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 9:13AM
I like that. I wouldn't put it on my sedan, but I sure as hell would do a 2-door or Ranchero that color. I'm filing this away under the "when I have a God-sized disposable discretionary income" tab, and I'll keep saving for Nighthawk Black Pearl on my sedan.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 10:16AM
Wait til you see the headlights I have picked out for it....
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 1:39PM
Crystal Clear Reflectors?
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 2:11PM
i have projections with Angel Eyes for my 72 in the garage for when I get it done!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 3:12PM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Crystal Clear Reflectors?

Yes...tri-bar with bluedot centers....
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 5:24PM
Those look great I just ordered some for my Torino
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,SVT LIGHTNING,07 CHARGER R/T HEMI,97 Mustang GT Vert

"Never complain Never explain"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic