The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1976 Montego MX going in...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2012 at 8:03AM
I have seen more New York plates here in Wichita Falls than any other state (except Oklahoma because it's 15 minutes north of here). Those look good, and the car looks FANTASTIC!!!
twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2012 at 5:51AM
All registered, insured, and finally inspected...working the weekend and going to pick it back up on Monday....told my resto guy to get it in for an alignment just for good measure....when I get her home, going to finish up the front seat, dash and minor trim and finally....finally.... Gonna get me a Mercury and cruise it up and down the road.....

Sorry for the "small" pictures....front bumper on!!

and back bumper too!!!! Will do some "proper photos with my g/fs Sony 11 mega-pixel camera when I get her home...

Edited by twintornados - 31-August-2012 at 5:56AM
1974 Gran Torino Elite...gotta love them big Fords...
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2012 at 7:01AM
Looking GREAT!!
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2012 at 7:18AM
Speaking from experience it's an AWESOME feeling "cruising on down the road"...especially after all the blood, sweat, and tears!

Hope you have a great time!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!! Clap
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2012 at 7:19AM
Looks great. Love the color combo.
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1971 Maverick 2 Door
1994 Mark VIII
Retired 60s NHRA Anglia

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2012 at 11:43AM
Picked it up today and DROVE it back home...ahhhhhhhh, that is one sweet ride. Almost forgot the over-assisted steering to the point of numb and floating demeanor of a mid 70's near luxury automobile....got the front bench back in and will work on her some more tomorrow....then pictures...

Oh yeah....radiator sprung a leak at the bottom about near the middle....oh well, a new radiator is going in tomorrow....in for a penny, in for a pound....I always say.....
legend onirot View Drop Down
METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2012 at 12:45PM
looks good! need pictures...
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2012 at 10:56AM
Overcast skies so no pictures yet....radiator is not to be found so for temporary, I used some Bars Leaks and will order a new radiator....worked like a champ and radiator is not currently leaking. Buttoned up the dash and got the seats in....front end is creaking and popping, resto guy states it could be from the springs being lowered "old school" with a torch (they will sometimes sit crooked in the spring pockets and make noise as the suspension moves) ...not a major problem and will order out some new springs and chop out a coil like it should be done...Overall....love the ride, she is fun to drive and the local Fastrac has premium fuel that does not have ethanol blended so got some fresh 91 octane today and just cruised around....had a lot of fun with her...now she is tucked safely into my garage.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2012 at 3:27PM
Ok, well the "Bars Leaks" did not hold and the radiator blew while I was out for a ride...limped her home and after going nuts, found one on, of all places, Amazon.com. It is a Ready-Rad #433390, and I am telling ya, I damn near stole the thing. I got it for $137 dollars with free shipping and it is a brand new three core radiator. I just looked on Amazon and it is re-listed for $100 more...dropped it in today and she fits like a glove....Montego is now running at a proper temp...speaking of temp, I will try one last repair to my factory guage, if I cannot fix it (short somewhere, it 'pegs' to hot when you turn the key to on). I tried disconnecting it from the cluster but then the gas gauge stops working. So, I am going to run a wire direct from the (replaced) sending unit and try wiring it direct to the plug behind the cluster. If that doesn't work, I have a spare gauge face and will mount a digital gauge inside the cluster and run a new sensor and wire.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2012 at 10:06AM
My idea of mounting the digital gauge in the cluster was a bust. Didn't want to chop up the cluster, so I mounted the temp gauge in the clock blank. Looks kinda cool, you can see in the picture my "Retro-sound" stereo. Also, note that I blacked out the original temp gauge...just couldn't stand to see it sitting inoperative....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2012 at 12:34PM
Just back in from an ice cream run....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2012 at 9:08AM
Picked up a different front seat (1972 Torino bench) because I just wasn't pleased with the way the original bench was "sitting"....better, but I have been spoiled by my 2012 Fusion. May just keep looking for some buckets, either from a 77-79 T-Bird or go aftermarket...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2012 at 12:38PM
Man, that white on blue is beautiful.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2012 at 1:08PM
Thanks...the guy that I got the seat from says he has a power seat track for the bench seat option...never saw that before, I may buy it just to grab it. It sure looks cool....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2012 at 1:44AM
My wagon has the power bench seat. It is a nice addition to my otherwise flat bench.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2012 at 7:32AM
Does it just power forward and backward or does it tilt or recline?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2012 at 8:45AM
It is a 6 way power seat. up, down, front , back, front angle up/down, rear angle up/down.

Edited by unlovedford - 20-September-2012 at 8:46AM
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2012 at 9:12AM
With that much adjustment it would make the bench fairly comfortable.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2012 at 6:07PM
That settles it... I am calling him tomorrow and grabbing the setup.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2012 at 1:45AM
You will enjoy it. My only complaint with the bench is a common issue. Weak spring action. You sit on it and it is not firm like a modern vehicle - very soft and non-supportive. However, the power adjustments help tremendously.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1972 Torino 460

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic