The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351 C motor mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 C motor mounts
    Posted: 08-September-2018 at 1:54PM
Motor Mounts for a 351C. Did anyone ever find the correct motor mounts for a 72 351C??
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 2:40PM
as far as I know any 302/351w/351c is all the same for our cars.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2018 at 12:29PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2018 at 1:46PM
I have tried the 2371 on the right side using “Pro Torque” and it doesn’t fit. Today I tried the 2370 on the left, it bolts up to the block.   I tried the 2370 on the right and it bolts up, but I am afraid that it is offset a bit, and will not mount the engine correctly. Have to wait until Friday to check.
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2018 at 2:32PM
Mounts are different left to right. A LOT of the aftermarket ones were made wrong a few years ago.
Block side holes were too close together and if you bent them to fit, they won't hit the frame right.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2018 at 3:42PM
i'd trust / try Anchor brand, they've been around long enough

late-comer copies have probably used the same part numbers for easy cross reference and substitution raz-mataz
72 GT Ute

72RogerGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72RogerGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2019 at 6:07AM
Anchor motor mount was wrong for me too. I had to buy one from NAPA Auto parts. That one was correct.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2019 at 1:30PM

Can you post the part numbers so we can have it for future reference?

Vince

GTS.org Admin
Restring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Restring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2019 at 2:12AM
You mentioned that you bought the correct part at NAPA. Was that for both of the mounts or was it for the driver's side or the passenger side? What was the part number / numbers. Thx. NAPA in Western New York buys their mounts for the Torino from Pioneer. Thanks again ….I have a rebuilt 351C waiting to be attached to a refurbished 1972 frame and have worked with Rock Auto with their Anchor line and Pioneer line with no sucess
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2019 at 2:53PM

Original 351 Cleveland engine mounts.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Restring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Restring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 1:51AM
Thank you for the photos "unlovedford".

Would you mind measuring the center to center hole location on the flanges that mount to the motor for both mounts, driver's side and passenger side? That might give me some peace of mind to know that they are both 7" centers.

Thank you, all of the literature says 7" is what is on the motor, that checks out on my block but some of these aftermarket products for the 2371 measure about 7 1/4"???? I have read blogs that say to use 2 of the 2370 mounts (they measure 7" for the center to center dimension but that appears to mess with the tilt of the motor from front to back / side to side????

I bought the car with no motor and don't even have the original mounts.

Edited by Restring - 27-March-2019 at 2:00AM
Restring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Restring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 1:59AM
Hello "72RogerGT"

I am working through the motor mount dilemma too.

Would you post the part numbers you used from NAPA?

I think they sell the Pioneer Automotive brand.

Edited by Restring - 27-March-2019 at 2:02AM
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 10:09AM
They are different from right to left. if the store says they are the same, they are selling you the wrong part.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 11:33AM
If anyone actually gets mounts that work, please share.  I will make sure to make a sticky post.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 12:01PM
I am almost positive that I used the 3170 on both sides. This after several failed attempts to get a 71 to fit. Might have been a mis-boxed part, but worked and lines up correctly. Worst case scenario is to try it and see..
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 6:36AM
1971 does call out a single part number for both sides

1972+ uses a different mount for each side. the Rockauto part numbers are presumably correct, it's what the vendor is putting in the box that's the problem. the comments for the DEA/MARMON mounts fitting both sides is BS

Edited by Rockatansky - 28-March-2019 at 6:37AM
72 GT Ute

RandyF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2019 at 9:58AM
I bought the "correct" Rockauto mounts. They didn't fit correctly. Bought some at Autozone, one side fit OK, the other way off on spacing and location. I wound up doing surgery on the misfit part holes (elongating them) after measuring carefully the original mounts I still had.
I was able to get the motor mounted in approximately the right location, but had to drill out the RH mounting bolt hole slightly after setting it in the frame. Pretty happy with the fit. The trans mount fit fine and all looked good. Only remaining issue was my Hooker headers wouldn't install on the LH from the bottom or the top side. They did before on the old engine and mounts.   Pulled the mounting through bolt out and jacked the engine up slightly. The header then went in and fit OK after letting the engine back in position. So, my guess is the mount is still just a little bit off.

I have a lot of job history in dealing with engineering of OE and aftermarket parts. Many of the parts coming from China are knockoffs of knockoffs each step executed poorly and getting successively worse. I think this is a good example of what happened here.

Randy
72GTS Fastback
Randy
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2019 at 10:33AM
I am almost positive that the 2370 fit on both sides.  If you are at a position where you could check it would verify and be very helpful to others. 
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
Restring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Restring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2019 at 3:56AM
RandyF, Thanks for your post. I have also been through RockAuto, Autozone, and Eckler (MAC) with no success. I do not have the original mounts and have been trying to get my hands on some for modifications to the incorrect mounts if necessary. Good Luck.
RandyF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2019 at 4:02AM
Restring,
I still have my old ones. Do you want them? One is good intact, the other is cracked. You pay for shipping you can have them for free as I am going to pitch them.

Randy
Randy
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2019 at 12:18PM
They are not the same side to side. The issue isn't the engine, it's the way the mounts sit on/bolt thru the frame. Engine is tipped front to back in relation to the crossmember.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
72RogerGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72RogerGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2019 at 6:18PM
Sorry hadn't logged on in a while, Napa shows this motor mount in their website Part # BK 6021253. It is weird that Napa shows this to fit on both sides if I recall I bought this for the side that wasn't working out.  It was years ago so I can't remember the exact details but its worth a try.

RandyF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2019 at 9:27AM
Life has been kind of hectic this summer and I may have missed any last reply on this. Did you decide if you wanted my original motor mounts? I still have them, but am getting close to time to start major clean up of my garage.

You can call me if you would like. My cell number is 417-877-6768. Please leave a message to call you if I cannot answer at the time.

Best Regards,

Randy
Randy
 Post Reply Post Reply