The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400 rebuilt questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 400 rebuilt questions
    Posted: 14-December-2019 at 10:17AM
Hello all, I bought a rebuilt 400 awhile ago off of a private party , its a .30 over with new bearings,rings,pistons,camshaft,heads rebuilt and it was assembled. Before I put it and install anymore parts on it. I want to go over the fitment of the parts and clearances. How should i go about it and any tips you all can offer? Also what should I look for when going over it?

1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2019 at 11:22AM
take it apart and find out what she's made of!

keep everything in order to go back exactly as it is now if you find no issues. worst case you're eating the gasket set but gaskets are mostly over-rated in my book. if you're very lucky you might get the head gaskets off clean and be able to re-use them. i've done it successfully several times.

MAJOR RED FLAGS are stock valves, stock nuts on the connecting rods. the bolts are OK but the nuts fracture in the threads and fail resulting in what appears to most as a rod bolt failure. these 'rod bolt failures' exhibit a strangely intact rod bolt with damaged threads from the nut being drawn down. the stock valves are garbage and need to be binned immediately. replace with a quality 1 piece stainless valves with single lock grooves and retainers to suit the preferably new springs that suit the cam.

next on the list to check is your Piston to Deck clearance. 351M's and 400 are infamous for excessive PtD clearance resulting in lame static compression ratio. they barely make 8:1 with the factory dish pistons. are you familiar with Tim Meyer Inc ? www.tmeyrinc.com markets pistons that correct the poor PtD and restore static CR to about 9.3:1 BIG improvement & worth every penny

rip it down! find out what cam is in it ;)

here's a link to my budget clean up

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/clevelands/cj-resurrection-nothing-but-new-nuts-t17223.html
72 GT Ute

hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2019 at 11:46AM
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2019 at 5:03PM

I will,thank you. Clap

'Q' code 63R body
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2019 at 5:06PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

take it apart and find out what she's made of!

keep everything in order to go back exactly as it is now if you find no issues. worst case you're eating the gasket set but gaskets are mostly over-rated in my book. if you're very lucky you might get the head gaskets off clean and be able to re-use them. i've done it successfully several times.

MAJOR RED FLAGS are stock valves, stock nuts on the connecting rods. the bolts are OK but the nuts fracture in the threads and fail resulting in what appears to most as a rod bolt failure. these 'rod bolt failures' exhibit a strangely intact rod bolt with damaged threads from the nut being drawn down. the stock valves are garbage and need to be binned immediately. replace with a quality 1 piece stainless valves with single lock grooves and retainers to suit the preferably new springs that suit the cam.

next on the list to check is your Piston to Deck clearance. 351M's and 400 are infamous for excessive PtD clearance resulting in lame static compression ratio. they barely make 8:1 with the factory dish pistons. are you familiar with Tim Meyer Inc ? www.tmeyrinc.com markets pistons that correct the poor PtD and restore static CR to about 9.3:1 BIG improvement & worth every penny

here's a link to my budget clean up

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/clevelands/cj-resurrection-nothing-but-new-nuts-t17223.html

i appreciate your input, Cheers~

'Q' code 63R body
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2019 at 11:39AM
Post lots of pics during teardown/buildip for yourself as well as to share. Rock, excellent advice as usual. I hope I can find your thread. It looks like a must read. OP, Bubba's links are also a recommended reading.
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2019 at 11:41AM
My 400 was really fresh when I bought it but who and how it was built will always be a quess until I rip it out one day.

The only hint is writing in each valve cover that the "Intake pushrods .030 over". Not much to go on.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2019 at 3:25AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

Rock great advice as always, but I think if you take the time to tear it down to check clearance, cam, etc, you should seriously consider new pistons.  This will make a huge improvement, even if you stick with a mild cam.  TMeyer's Facebook page has the most up to date info, but I know when he gets a shipment of pistons they usually sell out quickly. He's hard to get a hold of, but I know he's pretty good at answering FB messages or phone messages for serious customers.  Here is the direct link to the web page:

https://www.tmeyerinc.com/product/piston-set-ford-400/

FWIW, I had Tim do my long block and with a mild roller cam and those pistons, my motor pulls hard. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2019 at 2:46PM
i think the best way to reach Tim is by email, he's had to implement a 'customers only' policy due to tire kickers, guys picking his brain for advice to shop elsewhere and guys that already own somebody else's nightmare asking Tim how to fix it. like Aus 302C heads on a 400 with flat top pistons that pings & knocks with almost no timing in it. What Do I Do Tim? he could spend all day on the phone and get zero done for himself, for no $

by email he can reply at his convenience and you'll have a better experience
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply