The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400 Year of manufacture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 400 Year of manufacture
    Posted: 26-August-2010 at 5:31AM
  I am trying to detirmine the year of a 400 I am looking at  The only number that I have at this time is off of the intake  D1AE9425AC  Can anyone help me ?  Thanks  Conard
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 7:46AM
The "Bubba's M-Block workshop" I have re-hosted here at The Ford Torino Page after it's disappearance for many years will provide the answer.

The date codes specifically are posted here (where to find them):
http://grantorinosport.org/BubbaF250/parts/pics02.html

And then the webpage main part is here: (you'll want to hunt around as there is a great amount of 351M/400 stuff on there):
http://grantorinosport.org/BubbaF250/index.html
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
SquireCJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquireCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 5:09PM
The date code on the intake is not the best way to determine the year of the engine unless you know it is original to the engine and car. According to the date code of the the intake it is a 1971 intake. You can find the date code on the block stamped on the underside where the starter mounts. It can not be seen without the starter removed. Also, on the back side of the block there is a date code with a partial VIN of the original vehicle the engine came from but can not be read with the engine still in the car. 
conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 7:12PM
Thank you very much forthehelp  One follow up question  I am told that the 1971 400 engines had a higher horse power rating than 1972 up  If this istrue is it worth the trouble of using a 1971 engine  Thanks again  Conard
conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 7:13PM
Sorry my space bar sticks Cry
SquireCJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquireCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 7:32PM
If I remember correctly, the 1971 400 had pistons that came up closer to the top than later year 400 engines, although most of the difference (drop)in horse power from 1971 compared to 1972 and following model years is as a result of a change in the way the horse power was measured. Starting in the 1972 model year all manufactures used a standardized method of reporting net horse power at the crank, which is lower number than what was being used prior to that model year. The drop in horse power rating were across the board on all engines not just the 400 and not just Ford. As well, the manufactures were starting to de-tune engines at that time to meet the change to unleaded gasoline and various smog regulations.  
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2010 at 8:52AM
If it's a true '71 400 motor it will have flat top pistons, in 72 they switched to dished pistons.
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2010 at 10:33AM
Is it enough of an upgrade to pay 300.00 for and drive 250 miles to get ?  I allready have a set of aussie heads between that and an eldelbrock intake and carb Would it be a a noticable difference from my stock 1975 400 ?  Thanks  Conard
 Post Reply Post Reply