The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Engine Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

429's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 4:24AM
My buddy has one of those tow-behinds at his barn. Half the engine is an engine, the other half is a compressor. Basically a valley plate and a log intake with carb on one side, and another log intake on the other side with a filter to feed the compressor side. At the rear, where the transmission would go is a generator head. This used to go to construction sites in the 70s and early 80s and power the site.
Distributor only has wires for the cylinders that are engine cylinders, but it's not a Ford engine.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 4:55AM
i just remembered i know a guy that has a Ford powered wood chipper

lots of industrial uses, besides some mid-sized trucks from the era had gas engines and air brakes, they had a pretty serious compressor mounted on the front of the engine that may've caused Ford to want to beef the front bulkhead
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2017 at 7:58AM
There was a truck version, I think it was a 370, gas motor with a 2V carb in a lot of midsize straight trucks (stake beds, box trucks). We had one at a place I worked and it's diesel twin. Every year, someone put the wrong fuel in them. Trucks were virtually identical on the outside and both had the square fuel tank on the side with the manhole-size filler cap.
Another reason for weirdo varieties would have been the late 60s PS pump built into the front of the engine. I'm sure that needed the front beefed up.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic