The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Engine Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

460 and c6 trans out of 87 motorhome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2018 at 1:03PM

To install the drivers side header easier and not have to remove the Power Steering gear, you can cut the pedestal off the block just below where the head meets the block just below the #8 head bolt near the firewall. As seen in the picture below the pedestal has a step in it, you can cut it at the first step and use a die grinder to smooth the area. The piece is about an inch wide X 7/8" tall and about 7/8" thick. You can do this with the engine installed and it allows a much easier drivers side header install, with no adverse effects to the block since nothing mounts to this pedestal.

Edited by dave302 - 13-March-2018 at 2:43PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2018 at 1:05PM
The picture below points to the pedestal on the block.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2018 at 1:11PM
The area in the engine bay that needs the most attention is the Air Conditioning evaporator case, just above the Passenger Side header. You can fabricate a heat shield that protects the entire box where the evaporator resides and it also protects the Passenger Side footwell area from heat. The A/C evaporator case is very close to the passenger side header.
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2018 at 2:51PM
Im kind of jealous. I wish I had put in a big block rather than rebuild the 351 w. That rebuild cost over $3000!
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2018 at 1:09AM
$3,000 isn't that bad depending on what was done .
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2018 at 1:32AM
That was pretty much just a stock rebuild. The crank was reused. Hypereutenic pistons but everything else was stock spec.I wish I had gone stroker.
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2018 at 2:40AM
Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

You might also need the drive shaft from a 72-76 torino or montego, or 72-77 ranchero that came with a 429 or 460 engine. If your 73 GTS has a 302 or 351 2V with a C4 transmission drive shaft, that driveshaft might be too long and you might have to have it shortened to install the 460/C6 combination. I do not know if the drive shaft from a 72-76 torino, ranchero or montego with a 351C 4v Q Code/C6 or 351 Modified/C6 or 400/C6 engine will work. You will also need a drive shaft yoke that will fit. You might be able to use the original transmission mount. What engine and transmission does your 73 GTS have in it now?

The drive shaft and yoke from a Montego 400 & C6 will fit perfectly with a 429/460 & C6 into a Torino. All I did was paint it and install new u-joints.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2018 at 8:03AM
As far as the springs, you can get away with running the stock springs with a big block it will just sit lower.  Aftermarket springs are a crap shoot anyway, as you'll see in the spring posts in the technical section.

Aquartlow (Todd) is pretty knowledgeable about BB Fords.  He'd be a good guy to talk to if you plan to build the engine and he can probably help you with the headers fitment questions.  I know the Crites engine mounts are different than OEM BBF mounts.  Do some searches hear on the mounts, there is some good info on here.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2018 at 6:53AM
Vince,
 Thank you for the kind words, been working on 429-460's since high school(mid-80's), so I've learned a thing or two. Already a bunch great info given in this thread, some of it even looks VERY familiar to me Wink. I would have given a reply before now but have been out of town working. Tomorrow, Gatornationals here I come.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic