The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Engine Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

460 engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2017 at 12:58PM
Originally posted by foote500 foote500 wrote:

Piggy backing off of this, I am so tired of trying to deal with the Clevelands, if this engine goes back, I might have access to a 68 249, maybe I will go over that and drop it in. I have read the site listed up above, but does any one want to offer an opinion on the 68's?
Depending on what it originally came in, many late 60s 429/460 engines have a power steering pump built onto the crankshaft and timing case...
It can be removed and replaced with useful parts, but that's just more parts you have to source.
They were all originally built for leaded 93 octane gas, so valve seats aren't hardened, and pinging is almost certain. You can dial back the timing and de-tune, but...again, right answer is a rebuild with appropriate parts for today's fuel.

The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2017 at 2:10PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Originally posted by foote500 foote500 wrote:

Piggy backing off of this, I am so tired of trying to deal with the Clevelands, if this engine goes back, I might have access to a 68 249, maybe I will go over that and drop it in. I have read the site listed up above, but does any one want to offer an opinion on the 68's?
Depending on what it originally came in, many late 60s 429/460 engines have a power steering pump built onto the crankshaft and timing case...
It can be removed and replaced with useful parts, but that's just more parts you have to source.
They were all originally built for leaded 93 octane gas, so valve seats aren't hardened, and pinging is almost certain. You can dial back the timing and de-tune, but...again, right answer is a rebuild with appropriate parts for today's fuel.

Yep^^, they also use a different style water pump and pulley's with different "offset" dimensions as compared to '70 and up 429/460's.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2017 at 12:35PM
We were having this exact conversation this weekend at SRN.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2017 at 12:47PM
FWIW i don't see any issues 351C specific, just general that can / do & will happen working with any platform
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic