The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6F code Gold Glow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6F code Gold Glow
    Posted: 19-December-2021 at 2:35AM
I have a question about the shade of the gold glow paint used on the 73 Gran Torino’s. Looking at different posts guys have put up with pics of there cars in this color it seems there are quite a bit of color variations. I know age, fading, patina and lighting have something to do with it but I’ve notice some cars are more gold/silver tone and some are gold/mustard tone. So I guess my question is what brand of new paint resembles the true shade from the factory? I have had two different body shops mix the 6F code Gold Glow and they are very different from one another.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2021 at 12:06PM
Do you have any original paint on your car which would have not been exposed to UV light?  You could try to match that. FWIW, when my paint shop mixed 2B red paint for my car, it was also way off.  I had to bring in a part for them to tweak and get the colour correct.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Gold73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2021 at 12:22PM
Unfortunately the car I’m restoring is a different color. My car I had in high school was gold but not sure if it was gold glow.
Gold73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2021 at 12:25PM
U

Edited by Gold73 - 19-December-2021 at 2:39PM
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2021 at 1:26PM
"So I guess my question is what brand of new paint resembles the true shade from the factory?"

I've owned 4 6F cars, one original paint car back in the 70's, and three within the last five years. The current color on my car is a Finish Masters color. If you like it, I can get you the modern paint codes...I think. Just LMK.

Gold73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2021 at 2:08PM
Thank you . I would really appreciate that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2021 at 12:24PM
Originally posted by Gold73 Gold73 wrote:

Thank you . I would really appreciate that.

From the Marti Report: 6F Gold Glow Metallic Paint, Ford #5079-A

Took this info off the paint can:
CROMAX
F&Z
Ford
5079 Gold Glamor (they hand wrote gold glow metallic on the lid)
Cromax Pro WBC 5373 CP 4 std # 864064

Bought the paint at finish masters, Dublin, CA.

I don't think the color from this can that is on my car is correct Gold Glow Metallic, but it sure looks like a piece of gold in direct sun!!!

Hope this helps.....
Gold73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2021 at 3:46PM
Thanks Robert. I’ll check it out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2021 at 12:25PM
I think I found the supplier with the best match!

What do you guys think?
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2021 at 1:01PM
   Looks good to me. Then again, I have no idea what is a good match. I have gold showing on my parts donor but it is pretty nasty. If I can get the trunk open, I bet the bottom of the package tray has original paint on it.
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2021 at 1:06PM
Not sure if there is a door tag on the car but here is the factory paint on mine.
Gold73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2021 at 1:20PM
The car looks amazing! That shade definitely doesn’t look like it has the mustard tint like one of the ones I’ve had sprayed on a sample. I bet that will really pop in the sunlight.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2021 at 2:11PM
That is beautiful, and I also wonder what it might look like with a little pearl added to the recipe.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-December-2021 at 2:20AM
Looks better than new! I'd say that it's a good match.
Steve M.
 Post Reply Post Reply