The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70 Cyclone GT Boss 466

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote profaqualung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 Cyclone GT Boss 466
    Posted: 29-January-2013 at 12:44PM
Presented below are a series of pics of the build and final completion of my 1970 Mercury Cyclone GT with the very FIRST Jon Kaase Boss Nine [in my case 466] crate engine.  I drove this thing out of the garage on 12/31/2009 and the smile has still not left my face.

Aug 24, 2009 the engine arrives!  Gorgeous - BIG - will it fit? 
The bad news that day, we discovered that the shock tower elimination kits [using Must. II front ends] that myself, my fabricator, and Jon Kaase thought were readily available, had all been discontinued.
"No problem" says  Pete [fabricator] "we can make this work"

PROBLEM - did this thing grow overnight?  This is physically the biggest V-8 I have ever seen.

These are the hand built headers - 19 pieces per side - 2 1/8" diameter - Can be installed and removed from the vehicle WITHOUT having to take the engine loose - Pete took over a week to cut and fit these thing.  Jethot coating from Indy Jethot - only people doing white at the time - and they still look brand new

Almost done - cross bracing being built - sub frames tied together - 9" Currie rear  end installed with traction bars - heavy duty front sway bar

This says it all - I get off on peoples faces the first time I pop the hood for them

April 2011, OKC Street Rod Nationals trip

Living Legend Ford/Mustang Club car show 2012

This thing has now been together and daily driven for just over 3 years [over 20,000 miles] and is more fun than a person should legally be allowed to have on the highway.

Absolutely NO problems with the Kaase engine.  I ordered the engine from Kaase with the understanding it would be a daily driver and I did not need the 987 hp his personal Mustang has.
He came thru with flying colors.  Any changes that have been made have been for performance or driveability.  Went to a BGDemon 850 instead of the 750 Holley it came with.  Swapped out the MSD for a vacuum advance distributor [helped mileage and idle around town].  Changed out the fan that came with the Billet Specialties pulley setup and went with 2 electrics mounted to the new 4 pass radiator.

Transmission is a heavily modified C-6 [2500 stall converter] with a GearVendor overdrive, hooked to a Currie 9" [3.50] rear.

Power brakes are from ABS - it is an electric/hydraulic unit that we put on the car while it still had its original 351, we had to move it slightly for the new engine.

Steering is a modified Toyota unit from ABS.

If any of you are considering using the Boss Nine and have questions, please feel free to ask - especially if you are wanting a daily driver.

I am currently helping a Mustang in San Francisco, and a Torino in N. Carolina with their project - or maybe I should say I am giving them answers to their questions.

Only thing I request is that you do not ask about specifics of the internals of the engine [cam, rods, valves etc.] - I do not know - my suggetion would be call Kaase.  I had 2 gentlemen question me about it while at Barrett Jackson a couple of weeks ago, after they heard how much "BADDER" mine sounded than a Boss engined Torino that went across the block - one even offered a substantial amount of money to take my engine apart [and put it back together]to find out what cam was in it.Wacko

Again, if I can be of help just let me know.

Prof. [I speak 'daily driven' Boss Nines - Cool] Aqualung

Edited by profaqualung - 29-January-2013 at 4:49PM
Shoot low sheriff, she is riding a Shetland
1970 Cyclone GT Boss 466
Armadillo Breeders Association
profaqualung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote profaqualung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 12:08PM
The back end - 3 stainless exhaust held in place by chrome Harley Sportster primary chains
Shoot low sheriff, she is riding a Shetland
1970 Cyclone GT Boss 466
Armadillo Breeders Association
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 2:49PM
That is just incredible. Freaking wow.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 5:20PM
70 Cyclone is in my top 5 list, and with boss engine...wow
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport
http://public.fotki.com/Granaatu/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic