The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70 Torino Cobra N-Code

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Freeridr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 Torino Cobra N-Code
    Posted: 27-July-2020 at 8:01AM
Hey everyone.

I am recent to the forum and was going for some input on a vehicle I am looking into.

Its an original N code 70 Torino Cobra with matching numbers. Great shape and such but I have a question about the shaker hood and induction on it.

After some in depth research of my own I could not seem to find whether the shaker hood and induction was an option on N code Cobras.

The scoop has no script on the side like the J and CJ code cars..

Just want to make sure this is legit or an after purchase conversion to make the vehicle seem more than what it was when it rolled out of the dealership.

Does anyone have any info on whether the shaker hood and forced air induction was an available option or was it standard?

Thanks for the help.

Jo
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2020 at 12:09PM
The Ram Air cars got a different VIN.  All 429 Ram air cars were all J-codes.  However, Ram Air was only optional on the 351C-4V, 429-CJ and 429-SCJ.  Without Ram Air, CJs and SCJs were C-codes.  So, in all likelihood it was added on.  That said, there are never any absolutes with Ford cars from this era.

The best way to check the history on your car and what it actually left the factory with is to get a Marti Report.  It will show you all of the original options your car had.  Well worth the money:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2020 at 9:21AM
  oh the days of trying out the demo car in bright orange  with a couple  of goodies and a 6 cylinder  three speed  , OK now lets go order what you really want !  and  now what you can afford .  The orange car with the 6 .  I think it is a original    N- Code , Thunder jet 429 . but  didn't come with the scoop . It would have cost more then and worth way more now ,  
albos73gts
Freeridr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freeridr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2020 at 8:22AM
Ok. I gotcha
So the only way a 70 Cobra came with Ram Air and the Shaker hood was if it was the upgrade from the Thunderjet?
I found a really nice 70 Cobra SportsRoof, but its got a ram air kit and the shaker roof. It looks legit.
I know the cobra SportsRoof was a mid-production year addition and it was stock with the 429 Thunderjet.
Is it possible that the hood and ram air was included?
The seller seems to think it was included. It does not show up on the Marti report or or on the Build sheet.
Any thoughts out there??

Thanks in advance.

Jo
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2020 at 11:04AM
well it's possible , If you are looking for a original show car it has to be  By The  Dealer Only Then ,  Some of the car show state "as delivered from the dealer "  and they would do what ever to make a sale ,  but in points  shows  to legit the build you would need the original bill of sale from the dealer that shows that add on , ANYWAY  if you like the car . You should buy it . They don't make them anymore and you can build that motor up .  Clones are good too . 
albos73gts
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2020 at 1:51PM
If it is not on the Marti Report, it wasn't built that way. It may be possible that a dealer could have installed it, but I'd only believe that if there was the documentation to back it up.  My car has a dealer installed rear antenna and it is clearly marked on the original sales invoice.  

If you aren't concerned about numbers matching originality and like the car and price, then just go for it.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2020 at 12:06AM
I have done a couple n code ram air shaker conversions myself, and I suspect many others had too.  When I do mine I do not put the cobra jet script on, but others do. What color is this car?
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Freeridr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freeridr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2020 at 2:22PM
thanks for all the input everyone!
I got the car and its pretty awesome!
Colour is bright gold metallic.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2020 at 11:47PM
Great news, share some pics when you have a chance.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Freeridr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freeridr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2020 at 1:05AM
Hey everyone..
I've got a near complete buildsheet for my Torino but can't seem to decifer some of the letters and codes.
Is there a decode sheet to help with some of this?
Thanks in advance.
Jo
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2020 at 2:30AM
There is no where I know of to decode off the top of my head.  If you post a pic here we might be able to figure it out with you.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply