The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

71 Torino Driver side Front Frame Rusted Badly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npsdemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 Torino Driver side Front Frame Rusted Badly
    Posted: 06-January-2020 at 8:01AM
Hi All,

I am finally getting around to working on my 71 Torino GT.  I was putting a new power steering pump on and replacing the power steering lines as they were soft.  When I was replacing them on the ram I noticed the really badly rusted frame rail.  This is not a show car just want a driver that has better street manners than my drag car.

I am not sure if I am better off replacing the whole frame rail or just getting a better welder than me to fabricate in some 3/16 plate after cutting out the rusty areas.  

The big issue is it is right at the steering mount.  Nothing has sagged or broken yet but want to take care of this correctly.  The rest of the frame is solid.  The floors need some work but that will be added to the list when I pull the car off the road in a couple of years to go through it better.

Does anyone re-produce these?  Are there still rust free salvage frame rails available?

Any and all help or suggestions are welcome.  

Thank you in advance,

Tony
71 Torino GT 351C 4v
71 Nostalgia Pro-Stock Demon 358cid
Nostalgia Whelen Series Asphalt Modified
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2020 at 11:00AM
will this work....
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/uploads/3190/marti5.jpg
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2020 at 11:17AM
the pic jon posted looks exactly like the steering and tower that was in my 68 mustang they do make lots of replacement parts for them Wink
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Ford-Mustang-64-69-Front-Driver-Side-Inner-Frame-Rail-Extension/283509284928?fits=Year%3A1968%7CModel%3AMustang&epid=2303379107&hash=item4202786040:g:JaUAAOSwDzVc-nAq
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
npsdemon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npsdemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2020 at 11:36AM
i will need to look at the pic on my work computer and not my phone.  Waybigger screen...lol

I will let you know tomorrow.  
Than yo for the quick response!!
71 Torino GT 351C 4v
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2020 at 11:41AM
i can take some measurements from firewall to steering bolts if you need?  i gutted mine and went with the heidts  MII kit but used my orig rails Wink if you have rusted strut towers let me know i cut them out and saved them... what engine is in the demon?Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
npsdemon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npsdemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2020 at 6:51AM
Hi Jon and John,

I was looking at the pic on my phone last night and couldnt make out what way was what.  Can you get me a pic that is further out?  But I think if my thinking is correct and I wonder about it sometimes, it looks like the framerail is cut too short.  The area right infront of the steering box mount is rotted out.  I will measure it tonight when I get to the garage.  I am thinking 6-7 inches further forward of the box will be needed atleast.  there is also some horizontal or galvonic corrosion a little further back.  I will get pics and measurments too.

A measurement would work also.  

The Demon, it is a 358.  Originally 12:1, 2 950 Dominators making just over 900hp.  Had a motor issue on the dyno, so it looks like the compression is going to 14-16:1, heads are not done so not sure on the compression.  that should get north of 1000hp.  I am using a Bruno Drive Unit and a Liberty Extreme.  Hoping to get a high 7 second 1/4 mile out of it.
71 Torino GT 351C 4v
npsdemon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npsdemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2020 at 2:05AM
Here are pics of the rot.  

It is between the firewall and crossmember.  The tower is in good shape.  the rust seems to be limited to the spots in the pics.  the rot is about 7 inches aft of the cross member.

Hope this helps.
71 Torino GT 351C 4v
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2020 at 9:55AM
Hi
I would grind back the rust and plate it. Just be sure to get a couple of inch's beyond the rust. I al so treat the inside of the rails before welding. I don't know how good it works because of the weld heat but it can's hurt.
Greg
Greg
npsdemon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npsdemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2020 at 6:16AM
Thanks Greg, I am thinking that may be the quick fix until I can get more space and a donor frame rail.

If anyone else has thoughts are ideas please let me know.
71 Torino GT 351C 4v
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2020 at 6:57AM
Just be sure to grind all the rust away. It doesn't matter how big the hole gets you can weld up a solid repair.
I would use a bigger gauge metal then you were thinking of maybe a 3/8 inch simply because this is a very important structural support and carries all the weight of your front suspension when turning.
If done right there would be no need for the replacement frame rail imo.
Good luck
Greg
Greg
Freeridr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freeridr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2021 at 7:08AM
Hey Californiajonny.

How was the Heidts IFS to put in? and how is it holding up?
Would you reccomend?

Was there any intensive modifications that were necessary?

Thanks

JO
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2021 at 8:33AM
Originally posted by Freeridr Freeridr wrote:

Hey Californiajonny.

How was the Heidts IFS to put in? and how is it holding up?
Would you reccomend?

Was there any intensive modifications that were necessary?

Thanks

JO
idk car is still in primer haven't worked on it in over 6 months Cry so i haven't had it on the ground yet let alone drive it...OuchCry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply