The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

71 TORINO F CODE IN ENGINE? vin search???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 TORINO F CODE IN ENGINE? vin search???
    Posted: 01-May-2010 at 5:42AM
THE ENGINE CODE IN MY 71 TORINO IS  [F] JUST WONDERING  I DIDNT SEE IT LISTED? PLUS HAD OTHER QUESTIONS > just picked up this torino. currently has a 351c abandoned engine. just have some questions and looking for advise? the vin is normal but for the engine code is  F ? VIN > [ 1A30FXXXXXX ].  BODY 65C COL V AXEL 6 TRANS W DSO 22. THATS ALL I HAVE! now the questions are ?> has the GT emblem with the shark fins behind the doors. has the solid rear honeycomb tail light with the 2 black trim above. has the circle GT emblem in the grille. was an AC car but no powerbrakes? has bucket seats with a little emblem in the top center about the size of a golf pencil? 9 inch ford rear end very solid floors and under carrage, has some bondo in the quarters above the wheels. has the scoop on the hood but not functional. no pictuers right now its in my pole barn awaiting attention when money grows on trees. was just wondering what i have???? if anything special ????? is it worth going back factory????  or just make a driver and enjoy???   thank you !!!  ill await some replies and advise!   newbee in ohio!  Eddie

Edited by edsrod - 09-May-2010 at 10:26AM
dont crush -em - cruise - em
Robscyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robscyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2010 at 3:02PM
F= 302-2V, and they generally came with 8" rears- till 351 was optioned
1A30=Atlanta built 71 2dr Torino, NOT GT
V=Pewter (silver exterior)
6=3.00:1 open rear
W=C4
Sounds like a good fun car- but no reason or increased value to return it to stock
Flip the full VIN# to the registry!
edsrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2010 at 3:32PM
JUST SEEMS ODD THAT HAS A 9 INCH AND ALL THE GT TRIM, TAIL LIGHTS AND GT EMMBLEMS. NOTHING LOOKS TO HAVE BEEN TOUCHED. DID THE DEALER INSTALL OPTIONS??   THIS CAR HAS THE GT LETTERS WITH THE FINS BELOW RIGHT BEHIND THE DRIVERS DOOR. HAS THE TAIL LIGHT THAT GOES ACROSS THE WHOLE TAIL LIGHT BACK, HAS THE HOOD SCOOP, 9 INCH POSI WITH A 4.00 ??? GEAR? [ WE COUNTED THE TURNS], HAS A 351 CLEVELAND AND C6. IS AN AIR CONDITIONING CAR BUT NO POWRE BRAKES? [THAT THRU ME OFF ] IT ALL LOOKS UN MOLESTED? THIS CAR WAS IN A STORAGE BARN FOR 20 PLUS YEARS THEN PUT BACK ON THE ROAD THEN WENT TRUR A DIVORCE. HAS DOCCUMENTED 32000 PLUS MILES WITH RECEIPTS IN THE DASH. JUST WAS KIND OF SHOCKED AT HOW GOOD THE UNDERCARRAGE WAS SO I RESEARCEHED THE TITLE . WAS A CORUT ORDER TO A LADY [ THE WINNER OF THE DIVORCE] THEN TO ME. I PAID 5000.00 FOR THE CAR . THE ENGINE NEEDS PUT BACK TOGETHER THEN DRIVE IT. THE LOOSER OF THE DIVIRCE WAS PUTTING AN INTAKE AND HEADERS ON THE ENGINE WHEN THINGS WENT SOUTH.. JUST WONDERING HOW FAR OFF I WAS AND HOW DEEP I AM INTO THIS CAR FOR WHAT IT IS? I HOPED FOR A rare car but looks run of the mill? thanks  EDDIE
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2010 at 3:58AM
sounds like the vin doesnt match the car.  are you reading us the vin# from the title or the dash? verify they match along with  the door tag.   then there are vins under where the fender bolts on.  all four should match.  I would bet you have a mismatch somewhere with what you are describing. let us know.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

edsrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 3:25AM
i only have the title and the door vin  the dash vin is missing. where can i look for the another vin number to see what the car is . i bet i have a mis match?
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 3:37AM
the title and the door vin match?   if you unbolt a drivers fender at the top near the hood, there is a vin hidden under the flange.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

edsrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 4:08AM
i will look today  thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edsrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 4:16AM
didnr find anything, maybe i am looking wrong??  no to sound like an idiot, but i dont see anything. exactly where is the location under the fender?? nothing looks to have been removed maybe i took the bolts off first time?? i may be lookinh wrong?  tha othe side has a 1-2d i found?   than k you!
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 4:26AM
you have to just about remove the fender to see it, not just unbolt and peek.  can you take a picture of this car yet?
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

edsrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 10:22AM
c ar was factory a burgandy car now yellow title i think says pewter?    1a30f27xxxx    not th eright title. i found no tag or number under the fender. any where else?  ill post some pictures.
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 10:29AM
see the little yellow tag on the fender apron? thats where the vin is
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

edsrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 10:54AM
AMAZINGLY  i found different numbers on the place you told me to look i found 0a186458 but thats not enough numbers? but thata all thats there with a star in front of the numbers and one after? where do i go now??
edsrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 10:58AM
this new found vin is missing the engine and car type from what i can gather?
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 12:01PM
your title does not match your car, what i was thinking.  O A means 1970 built in atlanta. the rest is the serial number. no thats not enough numbers to get a title, which is why the previous owner fudged it with a 71 title
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

edsrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 2:24PM
why is the vin number under the fender not complete? did they not know what engine or if GT or not when this part of the car was made? it dont look altered just missing the engine code and the body style? but has a star in front and behind the numbers and looks like nothing is missing? i tried to post pictures but cant because they are too large?? i am not good at pictures but can send some to your email i know how to do that without altering the picture size. this car has a rust free under carriage and shows 32xxxx miles? has a 9 inch posi has a 351c [ block only] in the mounts has c6 trans was colum shift ac car no powerbrakes. can the marti report help me out for the build details, i can file to get a title with the correct numbers i just need to know the 3 didgits missing? my guess is the 186458 is the unit number and we have the atlanta and 1970 ill call marti tomorrow.the interior is spotless too. this whole car looks factory and untouched EXCEPT for the yellow paint! bumbers and all seems to fit now!! the mystery goes on and ill solve it. if its stolen the owner will get it back i just need to find out. NOW,,,  we know GT so we know 35 just engine code????? i guess 351c so i may try to get that number ran? what other engine for a c6??. the 351c in the car is 30 over with forgred pistons so may not be correct could be?? just was bored out and good pistons. i just got a 429 with ac and all the accessories for the car and plan on selling the 351 c, supercomp headers, chrome pan, 350.00 intake if you know anyone? i am using the 429 if i get to keep the car.   thanks for all the information, you are a champion!!!!  really helped me out, just had a feeling about this car and no vin in the window. by the way the fender vin was bent over thats why i had to remove the fender to findit.   thanks again.!!!

Edited by edsrod - 09-May-2010 at 2:29PM
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 2:07AM
Sounds like you got a "junk yard special" on your hands as well as someone elses half finished project.
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
edsrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 8:43AM
yea junk yard special! just found out is a GT COBRA  BY THE MARTI REPORT. THEY TOOK THE UNIT NUMBER, THE PRE FIX, AnD CAR IS A GT AND FOUND THE REST IN  FORD HISTORY. I WAS HAPPY TO SAY THE LEAST! MY JUNKYARD SPECIAL IS A GOOD FIND THIS TIME. WITH SOME TITLE RESEARCH ILL GET THE CORRECT TITLE AND ON I GO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 9:07AM
It is also possible the car is a '71 base Torino but has the front clip from a '70 GT Cobra. The best thing to do at this point is find a VIN on the frame. I don't know where to look for that. Body parts can be changed, but a frame's a frame.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 12:38PM
theres no such thing as a GT cobra, its one or the other.    did they use the partial vin on the fender tag? 
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 12:57PM
Originally posted by ramair351 ramair351 wrote:

theres no such thing as a GT cobra, its one or the other.    did they use the partial vin on the fender tag? 

Sorry meant to say GT/Cobra
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
edsrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edsrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 2:37PM
CAME BACK COBRA  CODE [38]HAS 1970 DATE STAMPED FRONT FENDERS. NO  MATTER WHAT ILL JUST GET THE CORRECT TITLE TO MATCH THE TAG ON THE FRONF CHASSIS AND LEAVE IT AT THAT. THAT IS PROBABLY MORE CORRECT THAN THE DOOR WHICH I KNOW HAS BEEN SWITCHED.  THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT, NOW I NEED TO GET TO WORK SO I CAN GET IT ON ITS FEET AND READY TO SELL!
 Post Reply Post Reply