The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 351c 408 stroker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 351c 408 stroker
    Posted: 23-July-2020 at 10:49PM
Hi all
not my first engine removal by a long stretch but its been a while if any of you remember foot500 s 72 GTS well its here in Australia in my garage I am in the process of pulling the 351 out and am leaving the C6 trans in place in the car my question is am I going to have dramas getting the converter to stay in place and seperate from the flex plate ? and again then re fitting ?? I am  having a 408 stroker built by PLR engines in Brisbane they did my 393 in the 73 Mach 1 which was awesome this will be similar old school big flat tappet solid cam scat stroker kit roller rockers stud kit etc all good stuff very well known and respected engine builder am loving the 72 Gran Torino Ive owned for 2 years now had massive rust in the floors to repair which was suppose to be 2 small holes diff ratio was get this 2.5 to 1 no wonder it couldnt get going now has trac lok 3.7  and now the rebuilt trans? is leaking anyway god bless from OZ to the USA love you guys any info on the trans flex plate bit will be much appreciated fat Dave
Rons73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rons73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2020 at 11:03AM
Should just be the 4 converter nuts holding the flexplate to the converter. When going back together just make sure the converter drain plug is indexed with the opening in the flexplate. Should be cake bro :)
tommy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2020 at 3:23AM
thanks man
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2020 at 6:26AM
yes 4 converter nuts on studs and the converter slides back into the trans pump about 1/4", it's separated. support the trans at the same angle as the engine and lift / slide the engine forward about 1" off the locating dowels and you're clear.

reassemble the same in reverse order. most popular way to stuff the job is to not get the converter fully into the trans pump before mating the engine. if the converter is not loose to slide forward that 1/4" then it's not all the way in the pump. stop and correct it, NEVER use the bell bolts to pull and engine and trans together!

any auto trans that sits for some time will 'bleed down' internally and leak, it's normal

then again some builders seem to have a lot more come-backs than others
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2020 at 7:20AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

yes 4 converter nuts on studs and the converter slides back into the trans pump about 1/4", it's separated. support the trans at the same angle as the engine and lift / slide the engine forward about 1" off the locating dowels and you're clear.

reassemble the same in reverse order. most popular way to stuff the job is to not get the converter fully into the trans pump before mating the engine. if the converter is not loose to slide forward that 1/4" then it's not all the way in the pump. stop and correct it, NEVER use the bell bolts to pull and engine and trans together!

^^^ this!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
tommy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2020 at 11:15PM
thanks guys followed this and all good now motor is off to the builder 408c solid cammed stroker comin home in a month will keep you updated thanks again 
dave
ps now where do I buy upper and lower control arms summit seems to just list up to 71 ? are these the ones to fit mt 72 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2020 at 11:17AM
1971 is a different chassis, unibody vs full frame for the 1972

IIRC our 1972+ upper control arms were sourced from mid 60's full size cars.

do you really need new control arms, the bushings and ball joints are replaceable, and FYI 1972 can possibly have 2 different part numbers for the bushings, not 100% positive but i think the ball joints are all the same? the page here has a parts list of front end parts, should cover what you need .... Vince ?
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2020 at 11:22AM
this might be it

but doesn't list ball joints, Rockauto is a very good reference tool and they sell parts too Wink

copy & paste, my links didn't light up

Edited by 72FordGTS - 27-July-2020 at 12:03PM
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2020 at 12:02PM
As Rock said, the 70-71 Torinos are different, and parts won't swap.  The ball joints are the same for the uppers arms regardless of the bushing size.  The lower control arms had two styles of ball joints, press-in or bolt-in.   The 1972-79 intermediate Ford upper control arm design was used on full-size Fords from 1965 to 1978, with the only major difference being the bushing size was increased in 1972 for all cars. 

You can get upper control arms for your 1972 Torino here:

These were custom made for our forum members some years ago.  Several members have them on their cars.  The other option is these arms from Hotchkiss:

They are only listed for a 1965-66 Ford, but they should work on a 1972 Torino too (the factory control arms will interchange).  However, no one here has tried it, and Hotchkiss won't confirm they will work on anyhting but a 1965-66 Ford as they were actually custom made for Jay Leno's '66 Ford.

Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

copy & paste, my links didn't light up

I fixed them.  What browser are you using?  They always highlight for me using Chrome.  If they don't highlight, edit the post, highlight the link, then click the link button (world with chain link icon) and it will change it to a link.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2020 at 2:16PM
Get a new seal for the transmission pump. And if the neck of the converter is gouged up, replace it.
tommy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2020 at 5:20PM
mine just look like sh*t would be nice to bolt some new ones in that didnt cost $500 ea all good I will replace the ball joints and bushes well actually I will pay some other poor bugger to do it
 Post Reply Post Reply