The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

...72 351CJ Black/Black

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 41>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2009 at 6:42AM
Paul,

She sure is a beauty!!! I should have done a frame off resto, now it would cost an arm and a leg fifteen years later, keep it going SHARP!!!Thumbs Up

Philsey
1972 Gran Torino Sport 351 CJ, C-6, 9" R.E. Black on Black
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2009 at 4:41AM
Busy weekend on the 1972 Black/Black GTS project.  I worked on finishing out the firewall by running the speedo, accelerator, and transmission cables through.  Put in the emergency brake, gas pedal, and the vaccum line and then put on new rubber on the pedals, and starting running the main wiring harness.  Also got on the two doors with all new handles, locks, moldings, and internals.  Here's my latest pics.  Paul~
Also finished up the dash.  I repainted it and then reassembled in my home office. 
A shot of the doors on.

Edited by picon3 - 05-March-2009 at 3:27AM
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2009 at 3:30AM
Another weekend coming up.  Hope to get the door mirrors on, set the decklid and rear valence and then start working on getting the engine/transmission in next week.  Noticed they don't make repro quarter latch pillar seals for the 1972-1973, so I've had to recondition (ie, paint) the ones I have.  Not great, but it will work until repro is available.  Working on the kick down rod, transmission cooling lines, and vaccum canister last night.  Lots of progress being made.  Hope to have it ready for this coming summer season.
Paul~
castillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2009 at 2:39PM
That dash is pretty.. And it looks like its sharp enough to be on any car..
1 question: Do you have the only dash which has NO cracks or were there some repairs.. And can you post more closeup shots.. I haven't reached this stage and I'd like to see others work-in-progress..
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2009 at 2:48PM
Hey Paul, how difficult was it to remove this instrument panel/dash cluster from your car in the last photo. Is there some manuel out there that shows excatly what bolts/screws need to be removed? Reason I ask, I plan on re-painting my instrument cluster from tan to blue, but I'm not sure I can tackle every single bolt/screw. (very intimidating to say the least, but I know I will end up w/ a better result if I paint it out of the car. Any help would be appreciated.

Keep up the great work!

Edited by gpd294 - 07-March-2009 at 4:01AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 5:09AM
Castillo,

Unfortunately, no matter how careful I was, none of the three dashes I pulled came out without some cracking due to the brittleness of the plastic.  The black panel has a crack which I repaired down where your left knee would be and another one just underneath the glove compartment.   Thanks for the kind words.

Paul~
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 5:16AM
Carlos,

Thanks again for the kind words.  Taking out the dash was a major pain in the Censored because of the way all of the wiring, vacuum lines, assorted bits and pieces are connected.   If you don't have the 75 shop manuals, I would  suggest them because they have detailed illustrations of where all of the not so obvious nuts and bolts are.  I would also strongly suggest that you take photos of each layer as you take it off to help with reassembly.  Having said all that, I took the dash out of the 1976 wagon by myself (would have been easier with a helper) in about 2 hours.  You will have to take the steering wheel off in order to get the dash assembly out.  BTW, I still have the factory blue dash with the dashpad still attached out of the wagon if interested.  It's already out and ready to go.  Smile

Edited by picon3 - 06-March-2009 at 5:25AM
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 5:54AM
I don't know, I've never really had much issue saving dashes- I'll try to lay it out as I can:
pull the steering wheel
Remove the A pillar covers
pull the dash cap 
remove the cluster
start unhooking the HVAC {heater/AC} control cables from the control head
take the wiring harness out of the firewall hanging loose. 
Take wiring from around the parking brake, and move away from PB assembly {will sort of be clipped around the top}.
Remove the kick panels {the filler trim panels on the bottom sides of the firewall}, disconnect the wiring if so equipt, mainly the door lights, and if you have it, the wiring for the doors. Should be connectors tucked under the dash, or by floor.
You will need to disconnect the dash duct work from the dash-simple single clips, they will fly if you are not watching how you pull them. I door pry tool works ok for this, or worse case a big flat screw driver.
You will need to remove the factory bracing on the top of the dash, and if it's still there, the speaker. {don't toss that speaker-it makes a good base to mount a pair a 4" mid speakers, or a rack of tweaters but allow it keep it hidden}

Unbolt the center support brace. Should be 1/2" bolt?
I unbolt the top two bolts-I was to say they are 9/16 or 5/8. roll the dash toward you, unhook the other hidden stuff, and then you can unbolt the bottom two bolts on each side of the dash panel.
I have to pull the green car apart, I will try to take pictures.

I also have a bunch of reference pics from the blue 72 4 door I took apart...mainly because of how long ago I took my yellow '72 apart, I forgot where half this stuff went when I was putting the dash back into the GTS.
Now, I need to remove it again, so I can not worry about painting the dash when I do the paint this year. 

Andrew
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2009 at 5:21AM
Thanks for the info guys. It still seems a little intimidating, but you can't learn unless you just do it.  Does anyone have any 75 shop manuels handy that wouldn't mind printing me a copy of just this section we're talking about? I have the 74-76 FORD parts numbers w/ illustrations that I would trade for it. Or if any one just needs a copy I wouldn't mind sending what I have to ya. Just PM me. Thanks again. 

Edited by gpd294 - 07-March-2009 at 8:32AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2009 at 2:57AM
I thought I'd post some photos of the 1972 GTS 351CJ when I originally got it home.  As you can see, I like a challenge.  Smile  Paul~
baough View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2009 at 5:27AM
I like the custom dash padLOL
Former U.S. Navy submariner onboard USS Sturgeon SSN 637
73 Gran Torino,351C,auto
76 F250 4x4, 390
88 comanche
91 explorer
92 bronco
08 Harley 883C, two kids, 4 horses,2 dogs,2 cats,1 lizzard.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2009 at 12:59PM
Yeah thats awesome,custom deerskin dash!you gotta leave that!LOL
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2009 at 4:46AM
When I started tearing down the car in February, 2007, that lavish, pink carpeted dash cover turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  It had protected the dash pad, gauge cluster, and duct work from the harsh South Carolina sun for 10 years before I came across it saving it from dry rot. 

There were some other special goodies including an air horn mounted behind the front grille, curb feelers, side exiting exhaust, a "black panther" sticker on the rear bumper along with a huge towing bar mounted into the rear bumper, and a fire extinguisher mounted behind the driver side seat.   

picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2009 at 3:40AM
Making great progress on the 72 351CJ/C6/Black on Black project.  Larry and I got the engine and transmission mated together and into the engine bay in just a couple of hours without any hiccups at all.  It was great to see the engine back in the bay after two years sitting on a stand waiting for the body to return.  I'm planning on getting the rear window, deck lid, and side mirrors on this weekend and then complete the building of the engine next week.  I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.  Paul~

Edited by picon3 - 13-March-2009 at 6:46AM
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2009 at 7:15AM
Another solid weekend of work.  No pictures this time, but Enrique' and I got the rear window glass in, decklid on, rear valence on, installed the rear seat belts, seat, and rear side window trim.  Photos to follow.
Paul~
castillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2009 at 10:19PM
FL-1 oil filter,factory exhaust,yellow top coil, cast iron tail c-6,fuel vapor cannister..Great use of original parts.. The 1 that jumps out at me was the ommission of the motorcraft carb.. I can understand that one as thats the weakness of the 72-74 engines.. 
I do have a few questions
1.Is that a factory ford intake
2. I thought the auto trans had a 1 port distributor vacuum advance(If I'm right, and I may be wrong,is there an advantage of using the 2 port)
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2009 at 2:05AM
Castillo,
Thanks for the positive feedback.  That is the original ford intake specific to the 4V application.  And that may be the only fuel vapor cannister in existence LOL based on the number of rotted out ones I've seen.  The motorcraft carb was long gone when I got this project, so I elected to go with a Holley carb instead of a remanufactured one.  Main issue was performance; although, I know that Pony Carbs does solid rebuilds of Motorcraft carbs. 

Not sure on the dual vaccum question in regards to manual versus automatic transmissions.  Anyone else have a definitive answer?  Here's some stuff I pulled off the internet:  Dual diaphragm vacuum advance units use carburetor vacuum on the outer, primary diaphragm to adjust ignition timing in response to engine speed. Manifold vacuum is used on the inner, secondary diaphragm to retard timing during periods of closed throttle idle to reduce emissions. The secondary diaphragm is also used to control ignition advance in response to coolant temperature.  Single diaphragm vacuum advance units respond only to carburetor vacuum. 

Edited by picon3 - 17-March-2009 at 8:43AM
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2009 at 3:42AM
Made a lot of progress on the 72 project over the weekend.  Things are moving along quickly now.  As you can see in the photos, I installed the alternator, power steering pump, belts/hoses, fan shroud, AC compressor (that sucked), radiator, AC condensor, inner fender wells, radiator support, light bezels, and assorted bits.  Hope to have it running soon.  Thanks for all of the support.  Big smile Paul~

Edited by picon3 - 23-March-2009 at 3:48AM
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2009 at 4:24AM
OK, I hate to nag, but FAIL!
All that pretty work, and they did not make an attempt to Ermm hammer and dolly the head light bucket lower lips straight?
I know it's being covered up...but FAIL.

LOL sorry for nit picking man!!Wink

Edited by Eliteman76 - 23-March-2009 at 4:25AM
Andrew
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2009 at 8:48AM
Andy,

Man, you've got sharp eyes!  That was on me, not the body shop.  Just pure laziness on my part; pure laziness.  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 41>
  Share Topic