The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 GTS 351C 4v OC Engine Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2017 at 3:54AM
Decision made.  Sonic check and bore to 60 over.  It's the most economical solution and I figure if something goes wrong down the road, I'll deal with it then.  I'll start posting pics soon.

Related topic.  I want to pull the C6 out and rebuild it.  I know I have some valve seals that are leaking by.  If I jack the car up high enough, can I drop the crossmember support with the C6 still attached and slide it from underneath (using a trans jack of course)?  Is there enough room?  Or is it easier to use a picker and pull it up through the bay?  In this scenario I would unbolt rear support from cross, drop the cross from frame.  Will trans be able to clear the steering linkage on it's way up and out?
Danno
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2017 at 5:32AM
Don't need to jack the car up that high.....can drop it onto the floor and slide it out tail first, jack car about 5" and tip it forward. Will slide right out then, thats how I got mine in and out the last few times
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Danno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2017 at 6:24AM
I was hoping to hear that.  Super, makes sense and will be easier than hoisting it out.  When I put the engine back in I am going to first attach the transmission and then lower and angle the whole thing back in.  That seems like the best route vice sliding the tranny back under and then mating the two, right?
Danno
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2017 at 6:34AM
yes, easier sticking it in as a unit
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Danno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2017 at 11:50AM

Danno
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2017 at 2:01PM
nice! that vette yours too?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Danno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2017 at 2:04PM
Yeah, had to kick it out to the driveway. 72, 454ci.
Danno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2017 at 6:16PM
 Thumbs Up sweet!
 ( the car.. not the driveway part)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Danno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2017 at 2:39PM
Ordered the FPA headers today, with the ceramic coating. Still need to find an intake that will match up to the 2.5x1.75 intake ports on the heads. Seems like it will be the Blue Thunder. Any reliable sources for them?
Danno
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2017 at 7:45AM
they're produced in batches as enough pre-orders dictate usually once a year, not a readily available One Click Gets It Quick kind of thing

here's a current thread or 2, Clevelanized has spattered the web in a quest to accelerate the production run
72 GT Ute

Danno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2017 at 3:54AM
Can't wait that long.  Went with the Edel RPM Air Gap.  Advice I got from some pros is that it is not necessary to port match them to the large 4V heads, although I was told that it is easy to do.
Danno
Danno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 10:01AM

Front windshield and rear glass are out. They both leaked so I am replacing rear weatherstrip and going with polyurethane install upfront. Trying to figure out best way to install. So much info out there, to use sealant or not under the weatherstrip to glass side, etc.
Danno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 4:07PM
you mean about sealing between the drip rail and the body?? i didn't on mine...wondering if maybe i should have Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Danno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 11:59PM
Both really. For the rear, first the glass to weatherstrip. After you put glass into weatherstrip, some say you then paste a small amount under the flap between the rubber and glass. Then after you put the assembly in place and do the rope trick to get the weatherstrip around the pinch weld edge some instructions indicate you are supposed to use a sealant in that area as well.
Danno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2017 at 2:36AM
yes
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Danno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2017 at 11:53AM
New FPA headers from Stan showed up today. They look really well made. I got the thermal coating with the grey finish.
Danno
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2017 at 12:59PM
Nice headers!! 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2017 at 1:32PM
They look really nice.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2017 at 6:17PM
those look great
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Danno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2017 at 11:24PM
Engine is back from machine shop. Time to reassemble.
Danno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic