The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 GTS CVPI FRAME, COYOTE SWAP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 GTS CVPI FRAME, COYOTE SWAP
    Posted: 05-January-2017 at 8:17AM
Hey guys, full build thread will be at http:///www.pro-touring.com/threads/123679-1972-Gran-Torino-Sport-project-Coyote-swap
This car is very much a rust bucket, but I'm having fun with it and hopefully not hurting anyones feelings by chopping up an original car. 

Edited by sj_mr2 - 05-January-2017 at 8:29AM
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2017 at 10:49AM
Wow you have some mad skills! I'll be following this build. The coyote is a nice touch
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1973 Gran Torino Sportsroof
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
2003 F-150 5.4
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2017 at 11:12AM
Very cool.....I'm doing a coyote in my 73 right now as well. Using the stock frame on mine.
Sal Mennella
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2017 at 11:13AM
With the Coyote in the kitchen, you either are not married or your wife is a gear-head too LOL. Looks like a BUNCH of work and you weren't kidding about the rust, although the bucket "part" is hard to agree with(all my buckets have bottoms, that Torino does not-or rather DIDN'T have a bottom Shocked). Keep up the progress.

Edited by aquartlow - 06-January-2017 at 11:14AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2017 at 12:35PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

With the Coyote in the kitchen, you either are not married or your wife is a gear-head too LOL. Looks like a BUNCH of work and you weren't kidding about the rust, although the bucket "part" is hard to agree with(all my buckets have bottoms, that Torino does not-or rather DIDN'T have a bottom Shocked). Keep up the progress.
Ha I wish, she just puts up me.
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2017 at 12:40PM
Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

Very cool.....I'm doing a coyote in my 73 right now as well. Using the stock frame on mine.
Yeah I saw your thread, looks like yours is much closer to being finished than mine is. I'm thinking I'll be finished by summer of 2018. I want the body in paint by then end of this summer, but there are alot of surprises coming up for that part of the build(hopefully).

72FordGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2017 at 2:42PM
Awesome work!  I have always wanted to see someone successfully do a CVPI frame swap, and adding a Coyote engine in the mix will really make this a sweet car.  I have no issue with you cutting up this car, as at least your saving a car that'd likely end up in the scrap yard otherwise.
Out of curiosity, is this a Canadian car?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2017 at 2:42PM
Coyote in the kitchen = AWESOME!!!
Cool work on the car!
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2017 at 4:46PM
nice work on the rotisserie Thumbs Up the rust didn't look that bad in the pic, until i looked at your thread, wow! but looks like you got a good plan and skills to do it. can't wait to see more! welcome BTW!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2017 at 2:56PM
I like it!
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2017 at 4:49AM
Clap WOW! You are a true GTS Savior!

Unless I am stretching things a bit; when Ford redesigned the Torino, in 1972, to use the new frame for the Lincoln/Thunderbird(not sure which marque got this frame design first), this basic full frame design was carried through to modern Lincoln/CV/Marquis. So this build is more than worthy of this effort as you will show us all how a modern '72 GTS will drive, handle, & accelerate using current Ford technology. Hero! 

When you drive the new Boss 302 for 2012, the power feels like a stock Boss 429 from 1970. Ford gave us a Boss 429 in the 2012 Mustang using the coyote motor. Now you are giving your GTS a Boss 429 looking engine bay as well, and the power too. Love the Ford dark blue block and heads. That motor should visually fill that engine bay!   

We'll all be watching! Thank you and welcome to the forum!
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2017 at 9:30AM
Yes. I'm not an expert but it seems it was Torino>LTD>Panther chassis. They are very similar in design, and most of the mounts are in the same place. The very front, and very rear are different.
Made some more progress on cleaning the engine up today:

gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2017 at 11:25AM
WOW!!!
that is amazing!! how much time has it taken you so far from the beginning to where it is on the last post?
PLEASE keep posting all the details on here as much as you do on the other site.

74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
Eliteman76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2017 at 6:03PM
BRAVO!
I have been telling guys this is more than doable.
Cut away the Crown Vic body, re-use the entire cowl/firewall lower. Use all the CV running gear and frame as a base.
Frankly I'm a bit jealous as I bet that thing will handle GREAT and not suffer from some of our cars headaches and ride glass smooth at 120+ MPH.

Easy enough to adapt a mustang brake/clutch setup as well and run a T56.

Also, the Chevelle floor is a good use of something readily available.

My advice, keep a solid track of all the part numbers of the parts and detail things out.
Trust me, it helps to have a good record of things.

Andrew
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2017 at 6:47PM
WELCOME to the Family!

Approved you profile.

LOVE THIS BUILD!!!!!

Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2017 at 2:05AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

BRAVO!
I have been telling guys this is more than doable.
Cut away the Crown Vic body, re-use the entire cowl/firewall lower. Use all the CV running gear and frame as a base.
Frankly I'm a bit jealous as I bet that thing will handle GREAT and not suffer from some of our cars headaches and ride glass smooth at 120+ MPH.

Easy enough to adapt a mustang brake/clutch setup as well and run a T56.

Also, the Chevelle floor is a good use of something readily available.

My advice, keep a solid track of all the part numbers of the parts and detail things out.
Trust me, it helps to have a good record of things.

Yes it's actually amazing how close the cars are. It would be easy to hack something together and get it up and running by leaving the crown vic stuff all attached and together. Just cut the bottom off the torino and the inner rockers off both cars and they will fit together. I'm taking the longer route of making it look factory correct by spot welding everything in factory locations so it will be indistinguishable from a factory floorpan. A t56 is kind of my dream setup, but at $4000+ it likely won't happen. A late 90's mustang trans is a realistic choice(t45) but from what I've heard they don't like shifting at high rpm, and this thing will make peak power at 7500rpm.
Clayton
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2017 at 2:11AM
Originally posted by gnrlee01 gnrlee01 wrote:

WOW!!!
that is amazing!! how much time has it taken you so far from the beginning to where it is on the last post?
PLEASE keep posting all the details on here as much as you do on the other site.

I worked on it basically from april until late october/early november. weekends only. That includes stripping the car, stripping the crown vic, cutting up another parts car(that was already mostly stripped) and fitting most of the floor pan. Hoping to get the floors welded in and most of the body work done next summer and finish the drivetrain and interior the summer after.
Clayton
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2017 at 4:31AM
What part of NB are you in? I was just to Moncton a couple of weeks ago from NS.
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2017 at 5:07AM
LOVE seein the new tech engines in old traditional colors!
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2017 at 5:47AM
Originally posted by stanman stanman wrote:

What part of NB are you in? I was just to Moncton a couple of weeks ago from NS.
I'm down in Saint John
Clayton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic