The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 GTS CVPI FRAME, COYOTE SWAP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2017 at 6:22AM
Okay. About 3.5 hours from me. In Shubenacadie, between Truro and Halifax.
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2017 at 6:18AM
Originally posted by stanman stanman wrote:

Okay. About 3.5 hours from me. In Shubenacadie, between Truro and Halifax.
Do you own that 72 4 door? seen one at south shore in motion car show 2 years ago.

Not much to report today, but my custom circuit board showed up for my taillights, now I'm just waiting on a few more components before I can assemble it. I'm converting the taillights to LED, and making them sequential like a cougar. The outer ring will be taillights, inner 3 will be turn and brake. with a nice bright reverse. Still lots to do to make it workable.

Clayton
RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2017 at 4:37AM
Man killer job so far , Its so wilded how that CV frame was so dead on in the centering in the wheel wells.
Now you gonna use the Coyote motor with the CV  harness ? It has the same sensor hook ups ? Dont you need a dyno computer tune when done to get everything to run correct ? 
1972 Torino Sport 4Spd Q 351c
2010 Ford SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2017 at 6:38AM
Originally posted by sj_mr2 sj_mr2 wrote:

[QUOTE=stanman]Okay. About 3.5 hours from me. In Shubenacadie, between Truro and Halifax.

Do you own that 72 4 door? seen one at south shore in motion car show 2 years ago.

Nope
Don't have one right now. Sold my project to a guy in Moncton.
fordnmerc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordnmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2017 at 12:43PM
Thanks so much for vindicating what I said years ago on this message board....that the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis were modern updates of the Torino and Montego.

Beautiful job!

How about doing a 73 4 door next? I hate what they did to that one in the movie 'Hooper'. Everybody knows I am a big 4 door fan.
David
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2017 at 1:47PM
I found a site with blueprints/drawings of both frames years ago. Except for the area below the trunk, frames are very close. Mount locations, well they need some adjustment to fit.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2017 at 6:12AM
72 GT Ute

sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2017 at 6:40AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

I found a site with blueprints/drawings of both frames years ago. Except for the area below the trunk, frames are very close. Mount locations, well they need some adjustment to fit.
Yes, I wish my original frame would have been in good enough condition to verify, but the very rear mounts in the trunk area are different and the rails are wider apart at the rear. The biggest downfall is the front frame horns are quite a bit different and need quite a bit of modification to work with the rad support. All other mounts appear to be in the same locations, but again that's just eyeballing it.
Clayton
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2017 at 7:35AM
When I looked at this it seemed like the easy way for the front would be to splice the two core supports.
At the rear, maybe swap trunk floors. This would also move the gas tank into the more desirable "Blow up on rear impact" position if I ever got rear ended by a locomotive doing approximately warp factor 4 or faster.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2017 at 1:36PM
I wouldn't even go through that much work. just cut off the torino frame past the rear tires and weld it to the cvpi frame. In my case I have to scratch build the trunk supports anyways so no big deal. In the front I will probably graft on part of the torino frame which I kept, because the bumper also has to mount to it. I have no real plan for that part yet though, so that may change.
Clayton
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2017 at 6:31PM
that's what i would do... just graft the ends if they are solid enough to use Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
M Casey Stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2017 at 2:24AM
Cool!

1975 Gran Torino, Copperhead

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/75-gran-torino-soft-restoration-copper-head_topic15137_post169060.html?KW=#169060
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2017 at 4:43AM
Itching for some better weather so i can get back to fabrication on this thing. In the mean time I've got a few more things done to the engine. BOSS 302 coil covers arrived:
Clayton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2017 at 3:32AM
Looking great!Thumbs Up

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/75-gran-torino-soft-restoration-copper-head_topic15137_post169060.html?KW=#169060
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2017 at 2:37PM
Thumbs Up those really improve the looks of those plastic valve covers!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2017 at 4:00PM
Motor looks great Clayton. I am planning to do the same theme, going for an old school look with a modern touch, so it's nice to see a preview of what it might look like. Not sure if I'm going to do the blue valve cover plates though.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2017 at 5:13AM
Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

Motor looks great Clayton. I am planning to do the same theme, going for an old school look with a modern touch, so it's nice to see a preview of what it might look like. Not sure if I'm going to do the blue valve cover plates though.
Hey thanks. I got the covers second hand(new in package) for a great deal over buying new, so I couldn't turn it down. I'm planning on buying the boss 302 intake manifold as well and the blue valve covers were original equipment on the boss 302 from the factory.
Clayton
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 5:36AM
any updates?
ZC
2011 GMC Sierra Z71
73 Gran Torino H code (H is for HOTROD !!)
72 F code 4-Door

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Casey Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 9:42AM
Originally posted by sj_mr2 sj_mr2 wrote:

Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

Hey thanks. I got the covers second hand(new in package) for a great deal over buying new, so I couldn't turn it down. I'm planning on buying the boss 302 intake manifold as well and the blue valve covers were original equipment on the boss 302 from the factory.
Looks great just like it is, I wouldn't change a thing.

sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2017 at 10:44AM
Not much to report for now, just small engine things: 
First I replaced the thermostat housing with a much more compact one:

Clayton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic