The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 GTS CVPI FRAME, COYOTE SWAP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2017 at 1:04PM
SO. 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. I wasn't happy with the way the firewall was turning out, and my initial plan to run the crown vic HVAC box wasn't panning out.(the evap case was going to interfere with the fender and hood hinge location). So I made an executive decision:

Don't worry lots of measuring and bracing was done before that happened. The A pillars in the car were shot anyways, and I've got a more solid section from a parts car.

At this point I thought i was going to use the torino firewall and just graft the bottom of the crown vic pan to it, but I didn't like how things were lining up, so i decided to build a custom flat firewall.

I'm going to add a reinforcement in the back to avoid oil canning, and once I have my hvac I'll need a couple holes for the heater and a/c line but overall it should be a clean custom look. Also started on the bracing for the a pillars to the floor:

Edited by sj_mr2 - 15-October-2017 at 1:08PM
Clayton
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2017 at 6:34PM
Clap looks good! a couple guys including myself were wondering how this project was coming along?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2017 at 12:35AM
It begs the question - do you plan on using the Crown Victoria dash or the O.E. Torino dash?
1974 Gran Torino Elite...gotta love them big Fords...
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2017 at 2:04AM
definitely the torino dash. the vision for the car is to be a torino with a coyote engine. nothing of the crown vic will remain visible. it will just have the advantage of the modern suspension and frame.
Clayton
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2017 at 12:12PM
Thanks for the update.  I am one of the ones waiting for updates on this project.  I really want to see it come together.  Great work and keep us posted!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2017 at 2:23PM

Welded the trunk floor in today. It's a terrible picture and doesn't look like much, but to me it's a big step forward to having a solid body in place. Soon enough I can remove those damn reinforcements without having the car fold in two.
Clayton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2017 at 7:50PM
Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2017 at 2:45AM
I like the unique use of the bumper jack...truly innovative.
1974 Gran Torino Elite...gotta love them big Fords...
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2017 at 3:26AM
Originally posted by twintornados twintornados wrote:

I like the unique use of the bumper jack...truly innovative.

Well you'd love this pic of putting the trunk pans in lol. Remember they are chevelle pans connecting crown vic floor to torino body so they needed some persuasion
Clayton
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2017 at 6:44AM
Awesome work Clayton.  I look forward to more updates on this project.
Vince

sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2017 at 7:05AM
Had some more time today to work on the trunk so I made these braces to extend the factory pieces to the new trunk floor. Excuse the crappy welds, it's kind of hard to weld while stretching through those damn bars. I'll clean them up eventually.
Clayton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2017 at 7:13PM
hell i wouldn't worry too much about that as long as it's welded good Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2017 at 2:13PM
i just saw this, not a member

72 GT Ute

sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2017 at 8:56AM
Slowed down at work this week so I took the opportunity to work on some small projects. I work in a radiator shop with access to solder and Flux so I tried my hand at lead body work. Deleted the holes for the Ford emblem and smoothed out some pitting. Came out good for my first attempt.

The primer is just to stop flash rust after I sandblasted it. Once I get some more pieces ready they will be restricted and epoxy primered
Clayton
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2017 at 12:11PM
From the pics, it looks like it turned out decent to me.
Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2017 at 1:24PM
as long as it's adhered goodto the metal so that there's no lifting on the feather edge where you sanded in down it should be just fine! Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
sj_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2017 at 2:12PM
No worries about that. One thing I know is soldering lol. I've been rebuilding radiators for years
Clayton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2017 at 3:48PM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic