The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 GTS Done, Done & Done......40 years later!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 GTS Done, Done & Done......40 years later!
    Posted: 02-May-2016 at 4:25PM
Well, we're never really completely done are we......but I want to thank all the great members on this site whose "swarm intelligence" helped me get this project done with information, parts, contacts and support! THANK YOU!

I'm partial to the Formal Roof with its light, balanced, flowing lines and convex rear windshield.

I'll post more pictures soon. A small surprise coming with the rear shot of the car.Wink But for right now.....I'm going cruz'n!

Edited by fordismyboss - 02-June-2016 at 5:14PM
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2016 at 5:12PM
WOW beautiful !!! Thumbs Up

check with ilyes... he may have those seat belt plugs
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2016 at 11:49PM
I'll check if I still have them over the weekend. I really like the color, it's feels really warm.
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2016 at 1:02AM
Congratulations! It's 1980 again and your driving around without a care in the world. That's what it does for me and it will for you. -Rick-
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2016 at 2:22AM
That is outstanding. That really tests my decision not to go back with that original gold on my '72 Formal.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2016 at 3:19AM
yea that gold glow looks awesome!!!!
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2016 at 4:53PM
My first headliner and rear window install. The headliner came from Dearborn Classics. The passenger side sail panel was recovered with some of the old headliner material. Please note the rear window seal is tobacco/dark brown not black as all new ones are. I found this one deep in the back of my parents garage still attached to the old rear window. The seal was in absolutely perfect condition so I used it instead of the new black one. So glad I did as it looks just like my old car, matches the factory tobacco parcel shelf, and sealed up perfectly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2016 at 4:58PM
looks great!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2016 at 5:00PM
I made a tool out of wood using the radius of the bolt holes for the steel windshield interface panel. This provided uniform tension which was needed as I left the original glass in-place. I simply clipped the headliner to the tool and propped the tool in-place with garden stakes. I anyone wants to use the tool just let me know Wink

kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2016 at 12:08AM
That looks awesome!
JT, USAF Ret.
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
1986 Chevy Silverado "Sally"
2013 Chevy Silverado "Blackie"
2014 GMC Sierra
2006 Victory Hammer "Big Red"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2016 at 5:50PM
The simple things in life.......Polished stainless, clean plastic and fresh paint!

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2016 at 7:39PM
i got a chubbie

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 3:59PM
The upholstery shop was able to stitch the original ribbed backing material into the new front seat covers from Dearborn Classics. They did a fantastic job and also said some of the stitching in the new seat backs were stitched wrong from the plant....but they fixed that too. Too bad I did not know to ask him to look for the Build sheet. After seeing one of Joe's posts, I called them, but they said not to try to take the seat apart to look!!Angry In this picture the only thing NOT original are front seat bench and seat back cover with original ribbed back sewn in, carpet, repainted passenger door panel, polished original sill plates with new Ford logo plate. Everthing else is factory original.

Edited by fordismyboss - 08-May-2016 at 6:16AM
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2016 at 4:21PM
I suggest just leave it....Those seats are just beautiful! Ya gotta love the 70's look! Clap
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2016 at 4:15PM
This door panel is the original plastic restored and repainted in Dearborn Classics Medium Ginger. This panel was starting to loose all its color, the driver panel was very good so I only painted this one. The arm rest is also Dearborn painted in Med. Ginger. But the best thing is how well the panel, the panel insert, and all the stainless and chrome was preserved all these years. All I needed was some semichrome metal polish and a lot of TLC. 

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2016 at 4:34PM
I really like that color combination, looks sharp man.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2016 at 5:16PM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

I really like that color combination, looks sharp man.
yes X2!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2016 at 2:17AM
Thumbs Up The computer monitor doesn't do that int. color  justice.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2016 at 4:04AM
When I found this car, I struggled with the Ginger interior having seen the plaid version. I considered changing to the darker Tobacco but then decided to keep the car entirely original. Glad I did as this Ginger is not too bad. The Dearborn Ginger paint lacks the gloss element that the original color has, but it is pretty close.  
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2016 at 4:21AM
Originally posted by fordismyboss fordismyboss wrote:

When I found this car, I struggled with the Ginger interior having seen the plaid version. I considered changing to the darker Tobacco but then decided to keep the car entirely original. Glad I did as this Ginger is not too bad. The Dearborn Ginger paint lacks the gloss element that the original color has, but it is pretty close.   It looks great. I too bought a can of int. paint from Dearborn, & notice the same thing. I will probably spray a semi flat or satin clear over it. I have some hard trim seat pcs. to spray.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic