The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 GTS Done, Done & Done......40 years later!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2016 at 5:05AM
Originally posted by Ranchero Fan Ranchero Fan wrote:

Originally posted by fordismyboss fordismyboss wrote:

When I found this car, I struggled with the Ginger interior having seen the plaid version. I considered changing to the darker Tobacco but then decided to keep the car entirely original. Glad I did as this Ginger is not too bad. The Dearborn Ginger paint lacks the gloss element that the original color has, but it is pretty close.   It looks great. I too bought a can of int. paint from Dearborn, & notice the same thing. I will probably spray a semi flat or satin clear over it. I have some hard trim seat pcs. to spray.

Ah, use a clear, good idea! If you get a decent match let us know what worked.
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2016 at 5:51AM
robert, is there a part # on that antennae? 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2016 at 6:26AM
This is the only part number I know of: 

D2OJ-18813-AD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2016 at 6:55AM
i guess what i'm asking is ... is the # on the base of your antennae?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2016 at 7:46AM
Antenna base stamped 200400-180 with the ford logo

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/topic14875.html

Edited by fordismyboss - 07-May-2016 at 7:48AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2016 at 4:28PM
robert i got you that antennae at that yard today! i'll PM you 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2016 at 3:56PM
Stunning car! Love it
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2016 at 2:22PM
Super job, that car looks sweet Thumbs Up
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2016 at 6:31PM
Hey Californiajohnny, I just got the part you sent and it is perfect.
installed it same day and it works great. Thanks CJ!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2016 at 6:46PM
glad i could help!!! yeah i just seen it in the new pics Big smile it looked so nice, it took me a few seconds to notice there's a car attached to it Wink LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2016 at 12:11PM
With Phase I complete...on to Phase II

Rebuild entire brake system

·         Had the Original brake booster rebuilt.

·         Bought a new disc/disc master cylinder for a 1977 Lincoln Mark V, Dorman, and Made in Italy!

·         California Johnny found me a Proportioning valve & brake lines from a 1977 Lincoln Mark V.

·         Found the correct adaptor fittings(3) to make the Prop. valve work between the master and original Torino brake lines.

·         Front disc brake caliper brackets from a 1978 Merc. Marquis from a GTS Forum member.

·         New front Raybestos 12” rotors for a 1972 Thunderbird, new bearings and seals.

·         Rebuilt the original front calipers, the original pistons were spotless!

·         New ceramic front brake pads

·         Found a rear axle from a 2000 Crown Victoria. 1996-2002 have the dust covers which I prefer.

·         Removed the rear disc backing plates, rotors, & calipers. Sold the rest of the axle assembly.

·         By positioning the brake calipers to the rear on both sides, only had to modify the driver side axle flange to accommodate the CV disc backing plates. This also allowed for use of the stock emergency brake cables.

·         Bought the EBay spacer plates to be put on with the new Timken rear axle bearings, axle seals, axle flange seals, disc backing plates and axle retaining plates.

·         Used the phenolic piston calipers as cores and bought rebuilt calipers with steel pistons.

·         New semi-metallic brake pads.

·         Fabricated new rear brake lines that attach to the differential housing by bending pre-made lines from my local auto parts store.

·         New flex lines for a 1980 Camaro: application recommended by a GTS Forum member and they fit perfectly.

·         Fabricated a pair of flanges from 3/16”x1” flat stock to adapt the factory Torino Parking brake cable ends to the CV parking brake actuators. Found the drawing on a Jeep site.

Note:  The original front rotors were still on the car. Each made within a day of each other in mid-October 1971. They are only .036” thinner than the new rotors! Same with the rear drums, all factory original. The original owner never used the brakes! 

GTS rides/drives much better with new bearings and stops much better, smoother and straighter with new, larger, disc brakes at all four corners . Parking brake works perfectly too.

Thanks to everyone on this forum, and others, for all the information!

[URL=http

Edited by fordismyboss - 22-December-2016 at 6:57AM

gnrlee01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnrlee01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2016 at 1:43PM
wow!!! your car is gorgeous!!!

Edited by gnrlee01 - 21-December-2016 at 1:43PM
74 gts 460/auto with factory sunroof
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2016 at 4:25PM
Originally posted by gnrlee01 gnrlee01 wrote:

wow!!! your car is gorgeous!!!
  X2Big smile
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2016 at 4:36PM
robert, that looks great! Big smileClap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2016 at 2:24AM
That looks fantastic and kudos to you improving the braking system to be able to handle being really driven.
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2016 at 7:04AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

That looks fantastic and kudos to you improving the braking system to be able to handle being really driven.

Joe, to your point, this project massively improved the ride of this car, something I did not expect. No more bearing noise, tracks better, handles smoother/better, and will be a bit safer out on the road with all the modern cars with greater stopping power.

Some of the images from this post have been lost, so I'm reposting here:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2017 at 6:20AM
Update:

Front suspension rebuild using the larger upper control arms and springs from a 400/C6 donor 1973 Montego.
Black energy suspension bushings & Moog Strut rod bushings.

Rebuilt the evaporator housing and added Thermo Guard FR to it and the firewall.

1970 429 Cobra Jet out of a Torino, stroked to 499, mild build, runs on premium pump gas. Exhaust Manifolds are 1971 Mustang 429CJ. Blue thunder intake.

Was able to install this by myself and the stock motor mounts, factory exhaust manifolds and using all ford parts made it pretty straight forward. Using the load leveler above was key.

The air cleaner is from a 1983 Mercury Capri 5.0 HO which clears the hood and allows dual snorkel capacity and cooler air.

Still need to install the A/C, cut the springs to the correct ride height and align the front end, but so far I love the rebuilt suspension, and the new power is awesome.

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2017 at 7:07AM
Looks sharp, you and me have the same tastes on things. I love that everything looks like it could be factory original, even though you have changed quite a bit. did you use the original plastic air intake parts on the drivers side (the end parts that mount to the fender). what did you use on passenger side? I have the same air cleaner and will use that one day when I fix a fastback up I have.
Past 1974 Ranchero GT Q code

Present 1973 Q code formal roof base model Torino with ralleye equpiment package and 4spd.
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2017 at 7:25AM
Looks amazing. Love the air cleaner! !!
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2017 at 7:41AM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

Looks sharp, you and me have the same tastes on things. I love that everything looks like it could be factory original, even though you have changed quite a bit. did you use the original plastic air intake parts on the drivers side (the end parts that mount to the fender). what did you use on passenger side? I have the same air cleaner and will use that one day when I fix a fastback up I have.

The original 351c(Nov. '71) had no cool air system at all. The single pass. side snorkel went to open air under the hood; no cool air duct from the factory. The current dual ducting goes to open areas in the fender which gets cool air that escapes around the radiator. Not set-up for forced air at this time. There was no factory plastic cool air duct receptacles on either side of the car.

Yes, I like keeping the look original as well. The main item being - using ford parts if possible.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic