The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 GTS "I Wanna Go Fast".. Someday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 GTS "I Wanna Go Fast".. Someday
    Posted: 04-September-2011 at 8:36AM

Sup Fellas,

I believe this is the second time I have posted this project, but after searching for 20 minutes I could not find my original post. Anyways, I bought this car on eBay while in Iraq 2005 from a gentleman in Minnesota. When I returned home a few months later I went to go pick up the car! It was a blue “rust free” 1972 GTS with a half vinyl top. The first thing I did to the car was add a beefy cam and some aftermarket heads. Being that this was my first project, I overlooked a few steps and promptly blew the engine before I even put 40 miles on the new build. So, about 6 months later I had finally saved enough money to drop in a crate 351c from “Tuff Dawg” Motors for $2500. Well the motor wasn’t very tuff and it blew within about 150 miles. The block had a pre-existing crack that wasn’t properly fixed which caused the engine to overheat and the left head to blow. SO I sent it back to them and about 5 months later I received what they promised was a new crate motor. Well the same thing happened again, so I had local shop take it apart and it turns out that they used the same block!!!! So I decided to cut my losses and figure something else out.  By this time was only 22 and still clueless and had no idea what life would have in store for me or the U.S. economy. Right after the second crate motor blew I lost my job as an apprentice crane operator that I hadn’t even started yet due to the company going out of business.  So 4 years went by with the car sitting in a garage at my apartment complex while I worked a series of dead end jobs. During that time the car took some MAJOR abuse ranging from a surprise cave in of the garage roof, to finding a bum living in my car that was locked in a SECURE GARAGE! Eventually I joined the Active Duty Army and once again had the financial freedom to get my Torino Back on the street!

At this point the car needed some extensive body work. A well-known friend of the family offered to do the all the body and pant for around $2500 and he promised it would take no longer than 6 months. Two and half years later he finished most of the work accept for the hood. In the process he shattered my front window, and destroyed all the trim that goes around the rear window as well as the various other trim pieces.  The major downside is that I am back in Iraq and have to wait another 9 months till I get to see the car! Before I sent the car to the body guy I found a local interior guy that had a great reputation for doing great work, so I gave him my seats along with a $500 advance in good faith so that he could start ordering the materials needed to complete the interior once the body work was finished. I also found a reputable performance shop in my area to build a custom supercharged 351c, rebuild my trans, rear-end, custom exhaust, and basically everything else need to get this car hitting 1000hp on the dyno. I paid upfront so he could order all the parts needed, I won’t even tell you how much I paid, it was a disgusting amount of money.  My brother was able to take my car over to the performance shop on Friday so they can start building my car into beast! Well, when my brother got there they didn’t even have the blower for the motor, headers, or the cooling system! And the engine shop also informed us that the interior guy disappeared with my seats! My brother also said the shop owner wasn’t very happy to see my car and was complaining about ruff financial times. SO I am not sure if he is running a half ass Ponzi scheme, because he clearly didn’t use the enormous amount of money I paid him to get everything ready for my car. I am pretty sure he will finish the job, but will half ass it. Which drives me crazy because I am on the other side of the planet and can only do so much?  I will give him a couple weeks to figure it out before I lawyer up.

The car is also getting a huge upgrade to the suspension to handle the power this engine should be putting out. My brother will be doing that work so I am not worried about it not getting done right.

Well enough of me rambling, here is some photos!

Edited by Keith_84 - 04-September-2011 at 8:39AM
Keith_84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2011 at 8:46AM
For some reason my net wont let me up load the pictures!! But here is a link to my bro's website which has all the pre body work photos. http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/v/doug/album/ 

Let me know if that link works!

EDIT: I also forgot to mention, I am going to have it wet sanded to get rid of that orange peel effect.

Edited by Keith_84 - 04-September-2011 at 9:06AM
Keith_84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2011 at 7:18PM
Here is an after pic! The paint looks a little wavy in the pic, but my brother swears that it isnt in person!
Keith_84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2011 at 7:21PM
Keith_84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2011 at 7:22PM

Edited by Keith_84 - 05-September-2011 at 7:24PM
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2011 at 1:45AM
B
E
A
U
T
I
F
U
L
!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
GTS73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTS73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2011 at 2:57AM
Thumbs UpThumbs Up
-Keith

`04 Wrangler Sport
`73 Gran Torino - sold :(
`68 Torino GT Fastback
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2011 at 3:37AM
Sweet formal top Torino!
Joe
1972 GTSquire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino (2)       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2011 at 5:36AM
nice looking 72,color looks like a 72 GTS Q code 4 spd Sportroof car I painted back in 1985 that got me on the Torino kick.I did the same thing of painting the Scoop Insert Black, not sure if I was the first to do it but certainly back then most were body color and wanted it to stand out from the rest.I see it done now every now and then but doubt back in 85 many had done it to thier sport hoods.

Hope everything turns out well for you and that your brother can oversee the project and make sure things go according to what you paid for.

Also as this looks to be a Project I am moving it to the Project Updates section with the other Project cars
Keith_84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2011 at 9:09AM
I was trying to decode my vin number bt my series code show up in the vin decoder. So I googled my vin and my orignal post for this car came up. And as u see the reason i couldnt find it is because apparently I have two different screen names! here is the link to the orignal project post, you can see a lot body work pics.  http://forum.grantorinosport.org/72-gts-progress_topic3574.html
here is my vin number:2h38h101723 any thoughts? I didnt see a 38 listed in the series codes for 1972
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2011 at 9:41AM
5th character H code is the motor and is a 351 2v which would have a 9in rear as only 302's came with 8 in rear. axle code is on the door sticker along with the trans code
F code I believe was the 302 and Q code was the 351CJ
N code was 429
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2011 at 9:45AM
oh yeah I remember that thread now as I posted in guess you forgot your original name and registered again under the new one
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2011 at 1:01PM

NIce looking car.thats probally my favorite color.question for you.Is  the sport emblem on the rt fender in the correct spot?Or am I mistaken,I thought it was located more under the torino insigna?I couldn't imagine trying to put together a car from halfway around the world! Hats off to your brother for all his help/work on your car.Clap

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Keith_84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2011 at 7:44PM
Originally posted by 73 ProStreetTorino 73 ProStreetTorino wrote:

5th character H code is the motor and is a 351 2v which would have a 9in rear as only 302's came with 8 in rear. axle code is on the door sticker along with the trans code
F code I believe was the 302 and Q code was the 351CJ
N code was 429
 Thanks for clearing that up for me! If you look at my orignal post you will see that the car had a "split top", which seemed to be pretty rare? I know I have never seen one before. I dont know know how i forgot my old screen name, ever since I turned 27 its all been going down hill :)

I will have to look through my orignal pics and compare the logo placement,  when I first looked at the pic I also thought something was off but wasnt sure.
 Putting everything together isnt easy, the worst part is not being able to see it! If It wasnt for my brother It would never happen lol. I believe he is going to post pics on this thread as he installs the suspension, dials in the ride height ect.
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2011 at 12:36PM
Definitely like the color.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
91 F-150
Keith_84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2011 at 6:49AM
Well I have an update which is good news/bad news. My brother was able to track down the interior guy and he still has my seats and door panels (GREAT NEWS!) He  also wants to complete the job which I have yet to make up my mind on. The interior guy also had some intresting news about the performance shop that is building my drive train. He claims that he did a $2500 job for the perfomance shop and the performance shop paid via credit card. He says as soon as they paid and picked up the car that they canceled the transaction and refused to pay him. He also said that the performance shop seems to be going through some financial struggles. This made me start to question the integerity of the performance shop(lets call it shop X). So I decided to call shop X and spoke with the owner, he was very brief with me but he did say that he paid for all the parts needed to complete the engine but just needed to pick them up. The part I am most concerned about is the $4000 dyers 671 blower that isnt sitting on my engine. So I called  Dyers who makes the blower and they said that shop X called about getting a blower built two years ago and they hadnt heard from them up untill a month ago. They also said that he never submitted a formal order and that it would take them 3-4 weeks to build it!!!!!!!! So at this point I dont know what to do, I dont want to call the guy out on lying about claiming that the blower is ready and that all he has to do is pick it up. I still want to give him chance to do his part, but I am worried sick about it!
  ON a positive note, they did recently rebuild the trans. So there is hope that I wont get ripped off for 20k, but I have a feeling that I wont walk out of this without getting screwed in some way.
 I just dont understand why people cant do the job you pay them for..... GRRRR

After some reading my brother and I decided on what were going order for the suspension. It ended up being expensive but it will be worth it.
This is what we went with:
Addco front and rear sway bars
AFCO Racing Eliminator Double Adjustable Drag Shocks for the rear
Competition Engineering Adjustable Drag Shocks for the front
Moog Cargo Control Coil Springs for the rear
 Moog Replacement Coil Springs for the front
Energy Suspension Control Arm Bushing Set
Non suspesnion related  BUT I also bought some POR-15  to seal the floor.

The rear shocks were pretty expensive but I figured that it would be better to spend the money once and get something good than have regrets later.
Hopefully next week we will get the rear window installed and the get project moving along. After we get the window in my brother is going to take  the car to his friends shop to get the frame braced which should give shop X plenty to get there act together. Being stuck in Iraq makes this all so much worse!!!!
Keith_84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2011 at 6:55AM
I almost forget to give a big thanks to picon3 who had the rear window trim that I needed! Without him who knows how long it would have taken to track down a good set of trim.. So, thanks again man! :)
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2011 at 9:04AM
Keith, thanks for the heads up on the springs, I definitely need to change mine out and those are reasonable prices ($80 rear and $94 front) so I'll remember Summit has those when I get ready for shocks/springs/suspension bits.
The Brother View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2011 at 6:25AM
I suppose I should finally stop in and say hi. I can't wait to get this project completed. It's been a very long ordeal and now it's time to get into the nity grity! I'll help keep everything updAted as I go along. As of now it sits in my trailer with all kinds of parts stacking up in front of it. The back window goes in real soon which means the motor monstrosity is next.
Keith_84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2012 at 4:59PM
The engine builder finaly came through. I pick up my car on August 1st. Then its down to Texas for a new drive shaft, rear end, axle's and interior.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic