The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Project Updates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 GTS "I Wanna Go Fast".. Someday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2014 at 11:44AM
Looks like a beast!
JT, USAF Ret.
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
1986 Chevy Silverado "Sally"
2013 Chevy Silverado "Blackie"
2014 GMC Sierra
2006 Victory Hammer "Big Red"
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2014 at 2:29PM
Originally posted by Keith_84 Keith_84 wrote:

Whenever UI have someone sitting in the back seat the yoke where the trans links to the drive  shaft rubs the body. Any suggestions?

the front, or the rear U-joint makes contact?
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2014 at 3:03PM
Can't get a clear picture of this in my head. The yoke at the trans shouldn't be any way able to rub, as it is pretty much a fixed location unaffected by suspension movement. At the rear, there is a lot of room at the pinion.
The above post should be read in a "Grumpy Old Man" voice.
Almost forgot: "Get off my lawn!!!"
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
Keith_84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2014 at 3:01AM
I only need the left marker.

I am thinking drive shaft might be a degree or two off, which should be an easy fix with the adjustable lower arms. I am going to try to get to today if i can. I threw a power steerig belt last night which is PIA since i have to take the blower belt off to get to it. I also discovered that my alternator wirig harness is bad, i cant seem to find a new one so I am going to attempt to fix the I have.
californiajohnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2014 at 4:11AM
left marker, ok i'll check
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2014 at 5:21AM
how centered is the shaft in the tunnel at the rear?
72 GT Ute

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2014 at 10:23AM
VERY weird to hear a tranny tail shaft output u-joint is hitting the tunnel.
Something seems "off" under there.
Got some pics? 
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2014 at 10:44AM
mine did that, but that was because i mounted the floor shifter back farther to fit the non stock console i used, the yoke was bumping the floor shifter, so i chained the cross member down to the lift and jacked up the frame on both sides to tweek the brackets down about 1/4" problem solved. but i'm not sure on yours?? maybe the tranny mount is broken??? pics would help
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Keith_84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2014 at 11:20AM

The car keeps throwing power steering belts, it turns out my power steering/alternator pulley is for a Chevy 350.....  I think March makes a 351c pulley, any recommendation?

Keith_84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2014 at 11:32AM
here is a picture of the where the shaft is rubbing heh.. Its on the top center of the drive shaft channel.

Edited by Keith_84 - 16-November-2014 at 11:32AM
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2014 at 11:51AM
Show me the pic of your Tranny Crossmember at the frame rails AND a pic of your tranny mount.

The other thing is to look at your Engine Mounts. IF they are collapsed, lower or otherwise making the front of the motor drop a little it will RAISE the tailshaft and cause that too.

Sent you a PM with my number, send the pics to me.

Edited by Regul8r - 16-November-2014 at 11:53AM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2014 at 1:48PM
Spoke with Keith just now.
Andy, do you have Cleveland PS Pulley for him.

Keith said it didn't do this until he put the Spohn arms on.
He also just had the control arm pockets repaired.
The car needs to go to an alignment shop to make sure the thrust angle is correct AND have the pinion angle checked as the new Spohn lower arms are adjustable.
They have to be set to the same length as original as a base line set up in order to drive safely until you get it to an alignment shop.

After getting the thrust and pinion angle adjusted and correct...
1. Verify the front motor mounts are good/solid. A lot of extra weight with that blower set up could be crushing the old worn out mounts, that will raise the rear tailshaft a little.
2. I saw pics of the crossmember, it is bolted directly to the bottom of the frame(same as all 72's). he has room on the bolt to put a spacer to lower the tailshaft in order to figure out how much lower he needs to go
3. his tranny mount is still "good" from the pics but if it is one of the old spongy stuff it will let the tranny jump up and hit the tunnel too.

Talked to him about using a 73+ crossmember and making new mounts to get it tucked up inside/flush with the bottom of the frame. Also could make a custom stiffer tranny mount that could lower the tailshaft a little. Wouldn't hurt with a motor with all that power to put a slim line suspension bumper on the tunnel in line with the end of the tail shaft to keep the yoke from hitting the tunnel.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2014 at 4:02PM
That shouldn't be anywhere near that close... Before worrying about pinion angle, that needs to be fixed. That will affect driveshaft angle and pinion angle. As Carl suggested, check motor mounts, trans mount and crossmember. That's not right..
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2014 at 4:22PM
Randy, you are right but as a mechanic you HAVE to investigate.
Investigation leads to it did NOT happen before doing the work on the rear end with the new arms.
That says SOMETHING is wrong back there.
With the Spohn lower arms being adjustable and the uppers being solid...
IF the lowers were not adjusted to the proper length, they could be set VERY SHORT right now and that would pull the front of the rear end UP in the air and make things all wonkie under there.

He sent me the pics of the cross member to frame, rear tranny mount and engine mounts... ALL looks good and mounted properly so it SHOULD be correct.
MAYBE someone jacked up on the tranny cross member and bent it is a possibility.
My 1st thoughts are get the NEW parts set proper first. That has to be done anyway, so it ain't gonna hurt.
THEN go up the driveline and see what is out of kilter.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2014 at 5:40PM
this is the mount i used on my car for the trans prothane # 6-1605 (they also come in black)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prothane-65-73-Ford-Mustang-V8-Torino-Fairlane-Cougar-Transmission-Mount-Kit-Red-/270991000107?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1852822b&vxp=mtr

Edited by californiajohnny - 16-November-2014 at 5:41PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2014 at 5:51PM
sounds like the cross member needs to be pulled down a bit, it may have gotten jacked up by the cross member that could do that
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 CORVETTE COUPE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2014 at 6:39AM
I've got spare 351c power steering pulleys.
I've got one fresh powder coated satin black.
Personally if not running ac I'd swap to 302/351w serpentine belt pulleys or get cvf billet pulleys.

I'm running a 74 cj power steering pulley to slow down the rpm's at the pump.
At this point I'm still suffering belt slippage and my next stage is cvf racing 8 rib THE BEAST belt system. This has been a problem for me tgat I'm sick of.
Andrew
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2014 at 6:57AM
Oh and drool...blower
Right now I'm mad max staring at the falcon persuit special. Deep trance.
Andrew
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2014 at 3:46PM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

Randy, you are right but as a mechanic you HAVE to investigate.
Investigation leads to it did NOT happen before doing the work on the rear end with the new arms.
That says SOMETHING is wrong back there.
With the Spohn lower arms being adjustable and the uppers being solid...
IF the lowers were not adjusted to the proper length, they could be set VERY SHORT right now and that would pull the front of the rear end UP in the air and make things all wonkie under there.

He sent me the pics of the cross member to frame, rear tranny mount and engine mounts... ALL looks good and mounted properly so it SHOULD be correct.
MAYBE someone jacked up on the tranny cross member and bent it is a possibility.
My 1st thoughts are get the NEW parts set proper first. That has to be done anyway, so it ain't gonna hurt.
THEN go up the driveline and see what is out of kilter.

I do agree that this needs investigation, but the proper pinion angle is relative to the angle of the output shaft of the transmission. At this point, it appears that the driveline is nose-down/Tail-up in the chassis and once that is fixed, you will be setting the pinion angle all over again.
Setting the pinion angle will not change the location/angle of the of the drivetrain or the slip-yoke.  The engine/trans mounts are a triangulated system that locates the engine/trans front to back, side to side, and up and down. The engine and trans mounts put the drivetrain in a specific location on the frame. If those locations are correct, then the tailshaft is aligned with the trans tunnel at a specific location and angle which should keep the yoke well clear of the body.
Either the engine/trans is mislocated in the frame (bad mounts, bent crossmember, etc) or the body to frame position has been altered(bent frame, rotted/missing body mounts). The other "big" change to this car was a frame repair.
This is one of those things that would be easier to figure out "Eyes-on"
Sorry for the long post, but this has my curiosity up...Confused

Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2014 at 4:37PM
This other thing came to mind...
Yoke is awful shiny, with a black line around it in the middle of the exposed area. (This may be nothing/just the way it was lifted for the picture.)
Is the yoke as far engaged as it should be/used to be?, and is the bushing in the tailshaft good? If the driveshaft u-joints are out of phase (likely given the new parts and repairs) poor engagement or a bad tailshaft bushing will let the driveshaft move around and rock the yoke on the output shaft,

Randy
1979 T-Bird
2006 GMC Sierra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic