The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72' GTS Progress

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcred45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72' GTS Progress
    Posted: 09-May-2010 at 6:45PM

I posted some pics earlier BUT I figured i would make an official progress thread.

I bought This car for $4000 back in 2005 from a gentlemen in St Paul MN. He also had a nice 69' Merc, his wife said one had to go! The car was 100 percent numbers matching and ran really well. I would classify the cars overall condition as a "ten foot car". Walking around the car it appears to be rust and bondo free. This car has a small amount of rust in the usual places, but for $4k  I consider it a steal.

Vin: 2H38H101723

Split hard top

351c 2bbl

c-4 trans

Edited by Dcred45 - 09-May-2010 at 11:16PM
Dcred45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcred45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 6:47PM
 The rear right side had some BAD rust spots. The spots were cut out and new metal was welded in. Filler was used to smooth out the body.

Edited by Dcred45 - 09-May-2010 at 11:23PM
Dcred45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcred45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 6:48PM
The body guy sent me the following email in regards to the right front fender. "here are some pics of the holes for chrome I found after stripping fender . They were filled with bondo, now they are welded solid. I am cutting all rust holes I find and can get to out and welding sheet metal Back in. Duraglass and bondo are used to fill and smooth these spots. Dents are smoothed with bondo."

Edited by Dcred45 - 09-May-2010 at 11:25PM
Dcred45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcred45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 6:55PM
Dcred45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcred45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 7:00PM
You will notice in the roof picture that the split top has been removed. I thought for there would be a lot of rust under the vynel.   Below you will notice the drivers side isnt too shabby, from what I understand the only bad spot is around the rear window. Since everybody is posting pictures of them selves I thought I would also. I am the guy in the blue, perhaps the youngest member(26)?

Edited by Dcred45 - 10-May-2010 at 12:01AM
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 11:23PM
Nope not the youngest member.
One of the others restoring his car is 16 and driving his during his Junior/Senior in HS.

What unit are/were you in SGT?

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Dcred45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcred45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 11:38PM

For another 15 days I am in Delta 1-72 in Korea. On the 26th I PCS to 1st Cav in Fort Hood. I am also waiting to be boarded for a Green to Gold scholarship. If I get picked up I would return home to Illinois for a few years to finish my degree.

Here are some pics my brother took after he ripped out the interior.

Edited by Dcred45 - 09-May-2010 at 11:40PM
Dcred45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcred45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 11:47PM
The engine, trans, and rear end are also being rebuilt. This motor will be "one of kind", pretty much everything was custom built for it, including the edelbrock heads. The exhaust will be custom made based with headmen hedders. Mini tubbing the rear and putting together a solid suspension is next on my list. The engine builder is moving slow hell but I have a few pics detailing his progress. I should have some pics showing the complete engine in a week or two.  I am pushing for the car to be completed by July, Its been a work in progress for over a year.

Edited by Dcred45 - 10-May-2010 at 12:55AM
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2010 at 2:01AM
wow from the first pics the car looked pretty darn good but I can see where the issues were after stripping.Make sure they do something to the back side of the panels as it will rust from welding.I like to remove the fenders and strip the inside as well and start fresh with epoxy primer then paint and lastly undercoat the bottome areas where all the dirt and debris will sit later.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2010 at 5:23AM
Looks like a nice project.
Safe trip home man!
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2010 at 2:27PM
See you in the states!

Looking good with all the work being done!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
1975MontegoMX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1975MontegoMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2010 at 2:40PM
Hey, just saw this thread, nice work!

Where at in Illinois are you from?

Im on the NW side of the City (Chicago)

George
1975 Mercury Montego MX /351 M/
1986 Ford Crown Victoria /302/"5.0"
Dcred45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcred45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2010 at 12:49PM
George, I am from Schaumburg. I havent noticed a lot of Ford guys in the area, I only know of one other Torino in the NW suburbs and I believe the guy sold it to build a wagon.

Yah the car really doesnt look bad from a distance. I thought it would only need some minor body work, I was pretty suprised by how many rust spots that were discovered during the stripping.

My overall goal is to build a car the that "goes fast" but still has some what of a naturel appearance, were shooting for 9 to low 10's on the quarter mile.

I just found that I have been extended another 7 months in Korea.... DOH! All I want to do is drive my damn car Smile
Dcred45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcred45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2010 at 12:50PM

Carl are you still in or retired?

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2010 at 1:09PM
Active Duty, 1SG, at Ft Riley.
I get to retire in Aug 2012!!
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2010 at 5:19PM
DCred, sorry to hear that maybe i'll be driving my 72 GTS before you get to drive yours after all,hehe and I still have to build mine, but hey I got 7 months to Git-her-Done and beat ya to the punch.

sorry dude I know that's not right and sad to hear that but I had to poke a little fun,hope you understand
Dcred45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcred45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2010 at 9:47PM
Yah its okay, I am taking leave during the month of July hopefully the car will be finished by then.  I havent been able to drive it for over two years now, ITS KILLING ME!!!.
Nice to meet you 1SG, its go to know we have some senior nco's with good taste in cars :) .  Before I came down on orders for Hood I was supposed to PCS to 1st ID. On a side note, I have yet to see any Torinos rolling around on post ANYWHERE, I thought I had the only one.
 Post Reply Post Reply