The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 Ranchero what to use for rear floor?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Ranchero what to use for rear floor?
    Posted: 30-April-2016 at 2:35PM
the part that goes under the bed to be exact. Sounds like I can use 65 Mustang floor pans for the main floor but I am not sure what I can do with this area.

Thanks,
Russ
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2016 at 4:43PM
are you referring to the bed floor or the very rear of the floor pan?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2016 at 6:22PM
the storage compartment ...

it could be a segment of wagon floor or it may be totally unique ?
72 GT Ute

russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2016 at 9:34PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

are you referring to the bed floor or the very rear of the floor pan?

the very rear of the floor, the part that is under the bed. Storage area, cargo compartment, spare tire place, etc. Tongue The bed itself is very solid. I weigh 300 pounds and would have no problems jumping up and down on it. LOL
the very rear end of that is rusted through. From where the seal area is back.  Not sure how bad the rest (forward of the seal)is. I may have to try to just put a patch piece over it but thought I would see if there is a common replacement for it first.

Speaking of, on the bed itself over this area, it looks like the bed panel is a separate piece, at least according to the manual. Page 47-06-19. Which is also where I see that the floor has a seam area in the above paragraph.
Why is this? It's not like on the unibody Rancheros where the panel comes off to give you access to the upper shock mounts. It seems like it is just another place a leak can develop. Is it just another one of Ford's better ideas? I mean I love Fords, but sometimes the design on these things baffles me.

Driver's side. The passenger side isn't quite as bad, but pretty close. Can't find the picture right now.

Thanks,
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 30-April-2016 at 9:37PM
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2016 at 3:49AM
yes there's a separate piece that completes the forward section of the bed, it's sealed permanent but with that floor rot you gotta wonder if yours is leaking?

how concours correct are you going for?
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2016 at 6:46AM
Not concerned with concours correct at all.

I would like to use a Ranchero floor, but odds of finding a decent used one I could afford around here as shipping would be killer aren't good.

If I could do metal work it would be simple. But I have no way of really doing any bending or shaping, other than with a bfh. Don't even have a bench vise.

Thanks,
Russ
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2016 at 1:21PM
Ranchero pan is the same as the wagon pan and should be the same as 4-door as well.
I don't remember the cover over the storage as being welded. but I mat be thinking of the older ones. I thought they were held in with some goofy bolts and an abundance of seam sealer.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2016 at 12:29PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Ranchero pan is the same as the wagon pan and should be the same as 4-door as well.
I don't remember the cover over the storage as being welded. but I mat be thinking of the older ones. I thought they were held in with some goofy bolts and an abundance of seam sealer.

Correct the "storage compartment" floor area is actually the same floor pan as the 72-79 Wagon and 4dr cars.

Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2016 at 3:05PM
Cool, thanks!
I will probably have to just make something, but I will be keeping an eye out for those floor parts.
Russ
 Post Reply Post Reply