The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 Torino Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinoivy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Torino Upgrade
    Posted: 11-June-2019 at 3:33AM
 Hi Guys/Gals,
 I am new to the forum and needed some info if possible. I have owned my 72 Ford Gran Torino for 19 years and I think that it is time for some upgrades. It has the 351C 2v engine and the FMX transmission. I want to upgrade to a 4 speed transmission and install a Speedmaster Downdraft fuel injection kit. My question is what would be the ideal trans without switching from a column shift? My car has the 60/40 bench which I actually like. I have factory disc brakes on the front with drums in the rear and I will upgrade the rear to disc. I am not trying to build a street killer but I want more reliability, gas mileage and highway drivability. Any advice would be helpful.

My other thought was the possibility/feasibility of a Coyote engine and trans swap but I like my 351C and I think that the cost would be high.

Thanks in advance.
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2019 at 8:02AM
I can't provide much advice.  But, I do have a manual transmission steering column, if you're interested.  Located in Georgia.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2019 at 12:28PM
Do you mean a 4-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic?  If you are talking about a 4-speed Auto, there are several people on this forum who have swapped in a AOD transmission in their Torinos.  You should be able to get it to work with a factory column shift.

We have a thread here about swapping Crown Vic disc brakes:

Some people have started a Coyote swap on this forum, but I haven't seen one finished yet.  It is a lot more work though.  You can see one here, but it didn't get finished (the car was sold):

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2019 at 4:29PM
swapping to a floor shift manual shouldn't be an issue with your seats IIRC the shifter sits forward of the front of the seat, so with a curved style bench seat shifter it should be fine. i swapped my FMX for an AOD fairly direct swap, just a few minor things needed to complete a full swap.
 some used explorer discs, some used crown vic discs, i went with the lincoln mark IV/V swap Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Torinoivy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinoivy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2019 at 7:06PM
Yeah I was thinking the 4 speed auto trans swap...good to know that it is pretty straight forward. Thanks for the info and links.
 Post Reply Post Reply